True Crime Thread

Tools    

You can't win an argument just by being right!

So looking forward to this new HBO movie.
I hadn't heard of that. Sounds interesting.

Dani, you guys in Oz have actually heard of Madoff?
yes. We get world news down in this neck of the woods. I do like my documentaries.

yes. We get world news down in this neck of the woods. I do like my documentaries.
Sorry, didn't mean to patronize. I asked because here in America we are so full of our news, how fascinating it is, blah, blah, blah, I just wondered what possible interest Oz would have in the Madoffs. Unless one had invested with him.

Sorry, didn't mean to patronize. I asked because here in America we are so full of our news, how fascinating it is, blah, blah, blah, I just wondered what possible interest Oz would have in the Madoffs. Unless one had invested with him.
Oh I didnt take it that way so it's fine. I often get asked by people in US if we get world news. I also follow world news media outlets.

Oh I didnt take it that way so it's fine. I often get asked by people in US if we get world news. I also follow world news media outlets.
Duh. I have been asked more than once if I grew up in an English castle.

@seanc @MonnoM

Monno brought up a doc called A Gray State, it's on Netflix and seems like the right sort of thing for this thread. What do you think, Sean?

I always say i'm going to watch stuff for this thread then i don't so i'd get your skepticism but even if i don't follow through (i will) Monno has already seen it and he's read about the case so i imagine he's ready to discuss it,

Just went through this thread. Apparently i deleted my posts but yeah i stick by my S-Town is one of the greatest pieces of media in the 21st Century. I've listened to it twice since then and it always makes me cry. Don't really care how corny it is to say the whole Brokeback Mountain part is straight up beautiful. If anything will inspire you to get out there and find love it's the missed opportunity part of S-Town.

@seanc @MonnoM

Monno brought up a doc called A Gray State, it's on Netflix and seems like the right sort of thing for this thread. What do you think, Sean?

I always say i'm going to watch stuff for this thread then i don't so i'd get your skepticism but even if i don't follow through (i will) Monno has already seen it and he's read about the case so i imagine he's ready to discuss it,
I will check it out. I have noticed it a couple times searching around so I was already a bit curious. Should be able to check it out this weekend.

S-Town is great.

I hven't read this thread through but have these been mentioned:

Long Shot
The Confession Tapes

Both extremely good / frustrating in equal measure.

@seanc or anyone. Not sure if you are interested in reading true crime stuff, if you are you should read this - https://magazine.atavist.com/the-mastermind

It's about a Zimbabwe born, South African boy genius programmer who ended up an international cartel boss: Paul Le Roux. It's nuts but so good. Unbelievable how powerful and dangerous this computer nerd ended up, had never heard of him. It's split into seven very long parts but is well worth it, i'm on part 5.

If there was ever a time to bump this it's the ONS getting caught. The whole thing is nuts to me, like i expected the Zodiac (this probably wasn't one person but whatever) and LISK to get caught before him but here we are. Here's a pretty good Podcast on him on Youtube before he was caught:

Definitely feel like a weirdo texting my mum to tell her the ONS was caught and her being as aware of it all as me.

@Bonito

Can you post something amazing about the ONS like you did in my other thread about that completely different subject, just think you know California. Thanks if you can

@Bonito

Can you post something amazing about the ONS like you did in my other thread about that completely different subject, just think you know California. Thanks if you can
Hi Camo, thanks for the compliment but I'm afraid I don't know California very well, (apart from reading) never been there yet. Also, I have to admit that I don't know what the ONS are - sorry, you'll have to explain that one to me.

Hi Camo, thanks for the compliment but I'm afraid I don't know California very well, (apart from reading) never been there yet. Also, I have to admit that I don't know what the ONS are - sorry, you'll have to explain that one to me.
I've not been to California either, i just thought your HIV post seemed really California specific, i know now it was more general knowledge. Just thought you may have been from there from that.

The ONS, is the Original Night Stalker (there was a later Serial Killer that got called the Night Stalker so when he got attention later he got called the Original Night Staler), his crimes started back in the 70's and he wasn't caught (if it's him) until two days ago basically, same deal as the Zodiac except the Zodiac probably wasn't one person and this guy was likely three different known criminals.

If you're interested in learning about it i'd read this: http://www.lamag.com/longform/in-the...s-of-a-killer/

It's a pretty detalled article from five years ago which now seems like the final push towards capturing him.

Let the night air cool you off
I am not much of a true crime guy, not that I don't find it interesting, just that I don't listen to the podcasts, read the books, watch many of the documentaries. Serial killers do fascinate me, but I just have too many other things that draw more of my attention. I am really curious about how the community of true crime fans are feeling about the Golden State Killer getting nabbed. It seems like a big deal to me, and not in the run-of-the-mill big deal type of way. I didn't really know much about him beforehand, but considering how long this has been unsolved, I would guess the most recent "big deal" I could think of would be the capture of BTK. Can somebody more familiar with this community tell me when the most recent example of something of this magnitude has occurred?

Also, I guess since I'm here, I'll throw out a podcast recommendation. It's just for one specific episode of a country music podcast that has to do with the detestable Spade Cooley. Cocaine and Rhinestones is the podcast and the episode is The Murder Ballad of Spade Cooley.

I am not much of a true crime guy, not that I don't find it interesting, just that I don't listen to the podcasts, read the books, watch many of the documentaries. Serial killers do fascinate me, but I just have too many other things that draw more of my attention. I am really curious about how the community of true crime fans are feeling about the Golden State Killer getting nabbed. It seems like a big deal to me, and not in the run-of-the-mill big deal type of way. I didn't really know much about him beforehand, but considering how long this has been unsolved, I would guess the most recent "big deal" I could think of would be the capture of BTK. Can somebody more familiar with this community tell me when the most recent example of something of this magnitude has occurred?

Also, I guess since I'm here, I'll throw out a podcast recommendation. It's just for one specific episode of a country music podcast that has to do with the detestable Spade Cooley. Cocaine and Rhinestones is the podcast and the episode is The Murder Ballad of Spade Cooley.
I'm not part of the "True Crime Community" but there's a few cases i always keep tabs on and i check websleuths from time to time especially if something happens in Glasgow. I have been weirdly obsessed with the ONS case over the last two years or so to the point that i texted my mum saying he was caught since i had talked to her about it so much.

He is very similar to BTK, the big difference is as soon as BTK was caught he confessed and said exactly what he did, apparently this dude is refusing food and water seems like he's planning on killing himself if he gets the chance which is the opposite of the BTK who seemed excited to tell his crimes, there's a video of BTK saying "Oh yeah it's me!" or something like that. This dude seemed to really want to die without anyone knowing which is much darker to me, but then the phonecalls - we don't actually know if they were him but the police seemed pretty sure it was him and they believed he stopped because he realized technology was catching up with him; there's a call into a suicide hotline that the police thinks was him where he said he did it all then he continually asks if he's being tracked before he hangs up. If it was actually him it seems to me like he wasn't dumb but he was getting old and he didn't really understand how modern phones work, this was 2001 and the calls as far as has been released stopped after that paranoid call.

Who knows. Thanks for posting JJ.

Can somebody more familiar with this community tell me when the most recent example of something of this magnitude has occurred?
Sorry, i went off because i'm really interested in this case. It's got to be the Green River Killer, right? He's the most prolific American Serial Killer and he basically stopped for 20 years before getting caught in the early 2000s.

, his crimes started back in the 70's and he wasn't caught (if it's him) until two days ago basically
The first thing I thought when I read that, was this case:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...alogy-websites

Is that the same one? Interesting for me in this case was the connection to genealogy groups and DNA tests - now very popular and posing some debates on how the DNA info can be used for additional purposes.

The first thing I thought when I read that, was this case:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...alogy-websites

Is that the same one? Interesting for me in this case was the connection to genealogy groups and DNA tests - now very popular and posing some debates on how the DNA info can be used for additional purposes.
Same one mate the nickname "The Golden State Killer" is a recent thing, like in the last couple of years JJ mentioned in the shoutbox yesterday. Patton Oswalt's late wife coined it i believe, she wrote a book about him and clearly had some involvement in bringing the case back into the public view in recent years even though the FBI said her book had nothing to do with his arrest.

He's three different criminals. Visalia Ransacker: vandalized houses and stole personal items but largely left valuables ended up killing a couple, East Area Rapist: Committed over 50 rapes and one murder, Original Night Stalker: Committed 10 murders and countless rapes. Was only pretty recently that they figured out it was all the same guy, well the latter two definitely anyway the Visalia Ransacker isn't a certainty yet but they seem to think it's him to and they've charged him with a murder attributed to him.