9TH Place (Tie)

Marco Hofschneider - Europa Europa

(5 Points, 2 Votes)

Ezra Miller - We Need To Talk About Kevin

(5 Points, 2 Votes)

8TH Place

Sascha Alexander Geršak - Nothing Bad Can Happen

(5 Points, 3 Votes)

Just doing it right now. I'm tired and won't be on much tomorrow, sorry if not many are around.

Gersak is Benno btw, was difficult finding a picture of him alone.

3rd Place

Winona Ryder - Little Women

(25 Points, 7 Votes)

2nd Place

Tilda Swinton - We Need To Talk About Kevin

(28 Points, 7 Votes)

1st Place

Samantha Morton - Morvern Callar

(30 Points, 8 Votes)

Jal initially sent me a list of the performances seperated into male and female, i just accepted it because he had went offline and i wanted to finish it. But i just noticed he sent me a proper one, the only thing the proper one changes is that Morton is on 29 instead of 28, she still won.

Going on:

Take this waltz (Sarah Polley, 2011) -

I watched Away from her before this one and my verdict is... well, I don't have a verdict. Their core theme is love, but the treatment couldn't be more different. Where one is austere, the other is overwhelmingly aesthetic. Where one shows restrainment in its emotions even though it's dealing with a heavy dramatic situation, the other is incredibly flamboyant to narrate something rather mundane. Take this waltz is, of course, the latter.

This movie is a rollercoaster. I was constantly shifting my overall opinions on it. Like for example when it started I was totally out of its mood because the first dialogue are excruciatingly theatrical and unnatural. Then it gets better, but not much because the narrative of a love triangle is so tired and it had been explored before and better...

...then, all of a sudden, I find myself very immersed into the relationship between Margot and Daniel, in a way that I didn't expect at all. I think there is something that Polley gets absolutely right here about romance, and that is consent. Even in a situation where one plays the role of the seducer and the other is the one to slowly succumb... there is a mutual respect of boundaries that I find very refreshing. I love how they respect each other's timing. The development and the flow of their relationship feels natural. And at that point as well, the movie improves at depicting the marriage crisis of Lou and Margot, and gets some really poignant scenes.

But in case I was thinking that this movie was going to be brilliant, Polley kindly reminds me that she is not going to let me leave with such a great impression by introducing the scene of the rotating room with Leonard Cohen's song playing. I have some little divergences with her sense of aesthetics throughout but this one was complete. It was annoying to sit through, and narratively a bad decision that created an awkward ellipsis.

And then, the final scenes. And the overall feeling. This movie ends in a powerful note, and again, it shows that it has something to say. It is probably the most irregular and erratic of this HoF in the process, though. What a ride.

I had Orlando third, second highest of anyone and the first highest wasn't Ed

Had Take This Waltz 9th. Sorry Sean i didn't hate it, i just couldn't decide how much i actually liked it and i knew more clearly with the ones i had above it.

I had Morvern first of course. It mostly had a middling reception but glad a few of you dug it. It actually wasn't that far off from winning when you see the other points totals, things were very close.

2nd Place: Three Way Tie

We Need To Talk About Kevin
Nominated By HashtagBrownies

63 Points
(3x1st, 2x2nd, 1x6th, 3x8th, 1x10th)

A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night
Nominated By Thursday Next

63 Points
(1x1st, 2x2nd, 1x3rd, 2x4th, 2x7th, 1x8th, 1x9th)

Europa Europa
Nominated By jirrafejustin

63 Points
(2x1st, 2x3rd, 1x5th, 2x6th, 2x7th, 1x8th)

1st Place: The Ascent
Nominated By Jal90

66 Points
(2x1st, 1x2nd, 1x3rd, 2x4th, 1x5th, 2x7th, 1x10th)