Citizen's Top 62, 1930s Actors & Actresses

Tools    

Pretty sure I've never watched a single Mae West flick from the 30s, will have to see if I can dig any up next week.

Rewatched Gone With The Wind just last month and both The Petrified Forest and Stand-In last November so in terms of this list I already have Leslie Howard covered but I like him anyway so if any of Pygmalion, The Scarlet Pimpernel, British Agent, Of Human Bondage or Berkeley Square are available to me I'll try and fit rewatches of those in at some point too.
Mae West is pretty juicy in her older films. It's fun to watch them in chronological order as the censors cut down on her double entendre with each movie. She's at her bawdiness in the first couple films that she made.

Rewatched both Pygmalion and The Scarlet Pimpernel, both with solid performances from Mr. Howard, the former is still great fun that has stood the test of time really well whilst the latter is entertaining enough even though it does focus far more on drama than adventure.
I haven't seen either of those, but based on what you and Mark said I'll for sure have to watch them.

Mae West is pretty juicy in her older films. It's fun to watch them in chronological order as the censors cut down on her double entendre with each movie. She's at her bawdiness in the first couple films that she made.
Sadly not had any luck finding any of her 30s fillums readily available to me yet

I haven't seen either of those, but based on what you and Mark said I'll for sure have to watch them.
As you love musicals I'm sure you must have seen My Fair Lady which is a version of Pygmalion with musical numbers. I reckon you'd enjoy The Scarlet Pimpernel, actually I'm a little surprised you've never seen it tbh.

..As you love musicals I'm sure you must have seen My Fair Lady which is a version of Pygmalion with musical numbers. I reckon you'd enjoy The Scarlet Pimpernel, actually I'm a little surprised you've never seen it tbh.
Love My Fair Lady, in fact I'm over due for a watch. I'd heard of Pygmalion but never seen it, I'll have to remedy that.

Love My Fair Lady, in fact I'm over due for a watch. I'd heard of Pygmalion but never seen it, I'll have to remedy that.
Pygmalion's ace .

Gave Of Human Bondage a runout yesterday and Berkeley Square one just now and Mr. Howard was his usual dependable self in both, though for me his performance is a touch overly sappy in the former.

Of Human Bondage is a classic tale but imo suffers from the origins of the infatuation not being sold effectively enough in this version and although Ms. Davis is consistent in her portrayal her affected accent grates. In Berkeley Square the scene-setting is a little lengthy and clunky and the fantasy element isn't introduced that well but once the tale proper begins it's a fairly amusing and effective watch.

My #23 Favorite 30's Actress is

Marlene Dietrich

German actress who's known for her sexual independence and prowess and for her deep throathy singing of torch songs. She made a name for herself in Germany and then after arriving in Hollywood she became an even bigger star. Her career spanned from 1919 to 1978.

Filmography Biography

Some of my favorite 1930s films of hers are:

The Blue Angel (1930) A German language film.

Morocco (1930) with Gary Cooper.

Shanghai Express (1932)

Blonde Venus (1932) A rather risque Pre Code film where she does the Gorillia dance

The Garden of Allah (1936) An early Technicolor film

Destry Rides Again (1939) A comedy western with James Stewart

My #22 Favorite 1930's Actor is

Paul Muni

Filmography Biography

Paul Muni was a powerhouse in the 1930s while under contract to Warner Brothers studio. He was nominated 5 times for an Oscar and one once. He was noted for doing in depth character portrayals and could be said to have been an early method actor. He only made 23 films, not many. Most of his well known movies were made in the 1930s.

Some of my favorite 1930s movies of his are:

Scarface (1932)

I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang (1932)

The Good Earth (1937)

I like both Dietrich and Muni. Dietrich is amazing in The Blue Angel even though i didn't love it, surprised that you've seen it since it's in German. That's the only 30's film of hers i've seen and i've only seen four others. I Am A Fugitive From a Chain Gang is the only Muni performance i've seen, loved both the film and him in it though.

My #22 Favorite 30's Actress is

Mae Clarke

"She is best remembered for playing Henry Frankenstein's bride who's chased by Boris Karloff, in Frankenstein, and also for having a grapefruit smashed into her face by James Cagney in The Public Enemy. Both films were released in 1931."

Filmography Biography

I like both Dietrich and Muni. Dietrich is amazing in The Blue Angel even though i didn't love it, surprised that you've seen it since it's in German. That's the only 30's film of hers i've seen and i've only seen four others. I Am A Fugitive From a Chain Gang is the only Muni performance i've seen, loved both the film and him in it though.
I didn't really love Blue Angel either, still it was a good watch and Marlene always holds one's attention fast. Blonde Venus is a pretty outrageous precode film of hers. If you get a chance check that one out.

I Am A Fugitive From a Chain Gang, that would be my favorite film of his. The Good Earth, is amazing too, but...today's audiences probably would be distracted by Caucasians playing Asians. That film also stars Luise Rainer who's on my list, she won back to back Oscars, then walked away from making movies.

Omg - I was only thinking yesterday that it had been a long time since I remembered this thread being updated so here I am and I find I've somehow completely missed the last three entries No idea how that happened, feel free to gently nudge me if you see I've not been paying attention again.

Marlene Dietrich
Of her 30s works I've watched both Der Blaue Engel and Angel fairly recently (both good) and will surely have seen Destry Rides Again in my youth but it'll need a rewatch if I can find it. Shanghai Express has been on my 'to-watch' list for ages, I'll bounce it to the top and have a hunt to see whether anything else of hers from that decade is available to me.
edit: Boooooo, IA only have a 're-envisioned' version available of Shanghai, should've paid more attention when I originally found it
Paul Muni
Watched Scarface when a youth, another that needs a rewatch if I can find it. I'll have to see what else I can dig up for him, I did have a quick look for both I Am A Fugitive From A Chain Gang and The Good Earth a while back but sadly neither was available to me then.
edit: Watched Scarface - an excellent performance by Mr. Muni and a very enjoyable film aside from the 'appeal' which breaks the flow but is easily forgotten soon after imo
Mae Clarke
Recently watched her in Night World and imo she makes it a better film so she was already a 30s gal on my radar. To that end I already had a watch of The Penguin Pool Murder lined up - just my type of title lol - so I'll bump that one too and then see what else of hers I can find to add as well .... Frankenstein is another of those classics that falls into the 'needs a rewatch if I can find it' category and sadly I already know Nana isn't available to me as it was co-directed by Dorothy Arzner and I went through what I could of her filmography for the 'Directed by Women' countdown (that I hope will actually take place as I finally got round to sending in my list the other day).
edit: watched The Penguin Pool Mystery and although 4th billing and one of the prime suspects Ms. Clarke really doesn't have that much to do in it

Omg - I was only thinking yesterday that it had been a long time since I remembered this thread being updated so here I am and I find I've somehow completely missed the last three entries No idea how that happened, feel free to gently nudge me if you see I've not been paying attention again.

Marlene Dietrich
Of her 30s works I've watched both Der Blaue Engel and Angel fairly recently (both good) and will surely have seen Destry Rides Again in my youth but it'll need a rewatch if I can find it. Shanghai Express has been on my 'to-watch' list for ages, I'll bounce it to the top and have a hunt to see whether anything else of hers from that decade is available to me.
edit: Boooooo, IA only have a 're-envisioned' version available of Shanghai, should've paid more attention when I originally found it
Paul Muni
Watched Scarface when a youth, another that needs a rewatch if I can find it. I'll have to see what else I can dig up for him, I did have a quick look for both I Am A Fugitive From A Chain Gang and The Good Earth a while back but sadly neither was available to me then.
edit: Watched Scarface - an excellent performance by Mr. Muni and a very enjoyable film aside from the 'appeal' which breaks the flow but is easily forgotten soon after imo
Mae Clarke
Recently watched her in Night World and imo she makes it a better film so she was already a 30s gal on my radar. To that end I already had a watch of The Penguin Pool Murder lined up - just my type of title lol - so I'll bump that one too and then see what else of hers I can find to add as well .... Frankenstein is another of those classics that falls into the 'needs a rewatch if I can find it' category and sadly I already know Nana isn't available to me as it was co-directed by Dorothy Arzner and I went through what I could of her filmography for the 'Directed by Women' countdown (that I hope will actually take place as I finally got round to sending in my list the other day).
edit: watched The Penguin Pool Mystery and although 4th billing and one of the prime suspects Ms. Clarke really doesn't have that much to do in it
Glad you're back! I'll try to finish this list, really I will (work has been so crazy). I hadn't heard of The Penguin Pool Mystery...I did see your ratings for it and Scarface. Glad you liked Scarface. I'm pretty sure I did a review of the latter.

Stay tuned, I will persevere.

Gave Desire a spin this morning, Ms. Dietrich is in fine form and it's well worth a watch for anyone considering 30s fillums for the countdown imo.

My #21 Favorite 30's Actress is

Luise Rainer

The first actress to win back-to-back Oscars. Luise won a Best Actress Oscar for her role as Anna Held in The Great Ziegfeld and the following year won another Oscar for her portrayal as a poor Chinese farmer in The Good Earth.

"
I don't believe in acting. I think that people in life act, but when you are on the stage, or in my case also on screen, you have to be true." Luise Rainer

Filmography Biography

The Great Ziegfeld (1936)

The Good Earth (1937)

The Great Waltz (1938)

Luise walked out of her contract with MGM in 1938 after having had enough of acting. Sadly for us she didn't make many movies.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Luise Rainer.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	43148  

Seen Mae Clarke in Frankenstein, The Public Enemy and Singin' In The Rain. Must admit i haven't found her that memorable so far but i'll be keeping an eye out for her now.

Haven't seen Rainer in anything, according to Letterboxd she was only in 18 films.

My #21 Favorite 1930's Actor is

Eugene Pallette

Filmography Biography

A gruff but likable character actor who often played lighter roles. Eugene Pallette's has 260 listed film credits! Going all the way back to 1913. He's best known for his work in the 30s, in fact his last film was in 1946.

Some of my favorite 1930s movies of his are:

My Man Godfrey (1936) a screwball comedy that's in the public domain so easy to find.

Topper (1937) a situation comedy about two ghost who don't know they're ghost. Also in the public domain so easy to find.

The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938) The classic movie, Eugene plays a memorable Friar Tuck.

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939) Frank Capra's film on political shenanigans.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Eugene Pallette.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	43150  

Seen Mae Clarke in Frankenstein, The Public Enemy and Singin' In The Rain. Must admit i haven't found her that memorable so far but i'll be keeping an eye out for her now.

Haven't seen Rainer in anything, according to Letterboxd she was only in 18 films.
I kind have a thing for Mae Clarke and Luise Rainer too!

Have seen Pallette in three films: My Man Godfrey, Steamboat Round The Bend and Mr. Smith Goes To Washington. I really adored him in Steamboat Round The Bend as the Sheriff, and thought he was pretty good in the other two.

Starting to suffer a little burnout here and herself is at home all next week meaning I may not get that many viewings in so I'll just play catch-up as and when with those last two.