The MoFo Top 100 of the 1940's

→ in
Tools    

..... So I haven't re-watched anything for the sole purpose of what I should put on the countdown. But there happen to be some of the "new" films that have made it onto my contender list.
It's been 40 or so years since I've seen some of them and many of the 'classics' from that era would still be 20+ years since I last watched them so re-watches would have been absolutely essential for me - dare I say you probably keep a little more up-to-date with 40s films than I do

I'm still looking forward to the countdown, I'm sure it'll be a great list and I doubt my not putting a list forward will have any impact at all on that.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
gonna toss in my recommendation for Now, Voyager after seeing SilentVamp remark upon it. A truly wonderful movie; I am SO glad I didn't hand in my list just yet.
I think I may catch one or two more - just in case there is something else that truly needs to be added to my list as well.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
Vamp, have you seen my #19? Just wondering because i think it would maybe be something you'd like and i'd be surprised if you had already watched it.
I haven't, but it has been a movie that has been on my watch list for a LONG time. It will actually be in the next group of DVD's that I plan to pick up from the library. I have a bunch to get this weekend, and then I will pick that one up after those.

I kind of like having this excuse to make me watch movies that I have been meaning to watch for so long. With the way things go in life, I may never have gotten around to it before. So I am really looking forward to getting that chance to see it now.

I Wake Up Screaming (1941) a film noir, that's highly rated...and gives you the chance to see Betty Grable who was once the biggest box office draw in America, along with Carole Landis who had a rather short career and life....and one Vamp's favorites Victor Mature.

I haven't, but it has been a movie that has been on my watch list for a LONG time. It will actually be in the next group of DVD's that I plan to pick up from the library. I have a bunch to get this weekend, and then I will pick that one up after those.

I kind of like having this excuse to make me watch movies that I have been meaning to watch for so long. With the way things go in life, I may never have gotten around to it before. So I am really looking forward to getting that chance to see it now.
That's awesome. Would be interested in your thoughts if/when you see it.

If anyone is interested in seeing and discussing some of Roberto Rosellini and/or Michael Powells films before sending their lists we are doing them as the August selection in the Director of the Month thread.

The films will be:
Rosellini: L'amore, Rome Open City, Paisan and Germany Year Zero
Powell: 49th Parallel, Black Narcissus and The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp.

It's not something you have to join and be commited to like the Hall of Fames, you can come and go as you please.

Here's the post - https://www.movieforums.com/communit...03#post1739603

Sept. 3 is coming quick. I need to make August 40's month.
I should do this too as I'm interested in entering this, but don't know where to start with 40s movies.

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

I should do this too as I'm interested in entering this, but don't know where to start with 40s movies.
Everyone should do this It's a big thing at MoFo for all of the community to pull together and make these countdowns happen!

...and that takes people participating by sending in a voting list (instructions are on the 1st post of this thread). It's easy, just make a list of 1940's movies that you've watched and think are good, then rank them from 1 to 25 and send your list to SilentVamp. A good place to jog your memory is here:

Most Popular Feature Films Released 1940's

There's a lot of movies there that I bet people have seen but forgotten about. And it's a great way to find some 40's movies that you might want to watch. So just do it

From the 40s? Nothing.
Start with the biggies. Citizen Kane, Double Indemnity, It's A Wonderful Life, Casablanca. Rope and Shadow Of A Doubt from Hitch are great. If you like Noir, which you should , then: The Third Man, The Big Sleep, The Killers, and Laura. The Suspect and The Little Foxes are lesser talked about gems in my opinion. Oh, see The Magnificent Ambersons.

No, I didn't just give away most of my list.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Start with the biggies. Citizen Kane, Double Indemnity, It's A Wonderful Life, Casablanca. Rope and Shadow Of A Doubt from Hitch are great. If you like Noir, which you should , then: The Third Man, The Big Sleep, The Killers, and Laura. The Suspect and The Little Foxes are lesser talked about gems in my opinion. Oh, see The Magnificent Ambersons.

No, I didn't just give away most of my list.
There's barely one or two there that will make my list.

There's barely one or two there that will make my list.
Someday it will be hip to be mainstream again. Probably not at Mofo though. At least I love Ambersons while everyone else whines about poor put upon Orson.

If anyone is interested in seeing and discussing some of Roberto Rosellini and/or Michael Powells films before sending their lists we are doing them as the August selection in the Director of the Month thread.

The films will be:
Rosellini: L'amore, Rome Open City, Paisan and Germany Year Zero
Powell: 49th Parallel, Black Narcissus and The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp.

It's not something you have to join and be commited to like the Hall of Fames, you can come and go as you please.

Here's the post - https://www.movieforums.com/communit...03#post1739603
I really like Colonel Blimpe. Black Narcissus not so much. But my favorite Powell was The Red Shoes.