Black Panther

Tools    

I saw him list a lot of the Marvel movies but he missed the Black Panther. It was the one with real concrete news. Chadwick Boseman is the Black Panther. I am excited, guy deserves to blow up, supremely talented. Guys think he is right for it?

Also he was confirmed to appear in Cap 3.

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

Chadwick Boseman is going to define his career as the BLACK PANTHER. I'm telling you. He was great in 42 and great as Brown in "Get On Up" but this will be his IRON MAN role.

I am really looking forward to this character. Seems like Ava Duverney (Selma director) passed to direct it. It's probably for the best. She might have pulled off a great movie but she doesn't strike me as a blockbuster film director. Plus I could see her clashing with Marvel.

Now there is no way (to me) Marvel doesn't give this directing job to a person of color. They would get ate alive by the press, I mean maybe they would give it to a white lady or man. I am just concerned with seeing a kick ass movie I don't care who is behind the camera. But I think it's obvious by their first choice (Ava) that they are looking for a minority, which is wonderful as long as the person can get the job done. So i'll give you some suspects I believe they are looking at.

1.) F. Gary Gray- (The Good)- Italian Job (Remake), Friday, The Negotiator. Those are 3 pretty good flicks, versatile too. Comedy, Action and a thriller.
(The Bad)- Law Abiding Citizen, Be Cool. I've never seen Be Cool but reviews aren't pretty, so can't say for sure. But Law Abiding Citizen was a piece of sh*t. I loathed that movie.
Verdict- I don't think he would be a bad pick. He has produced some fun flicks. As long as he doesn't repeat LAC. He has a movie coming out this year Straight Outta Compton about the NWA which looks promising. He was courted for Winter Solider as well.

2.) Rick Famuyiwa - (The Good)- Dope, Talk To Me. Haven't seen Dope but I will soon hopefully, killed at Sundance. And Talk To Me from what I remember was adequate bio pic. Nothing memorable thou
(The Bad) The Wood, And some other generic black movies. I actually havent seen the The Wood since I was little. I actually liked it when I was small. But I know it probably didn't age well on me. And his other movies seem to be geared towards the black audience which when you narrow your audience scope usually doesn't turn out well (for example Christian Music).
(The Verdict)- There was a rumor it was between him and Ava so he could be stepping to bat. He is an experienced filmmaker which is a plus for Marvel. Dope (he wrote and directed it) seems to be an uptick for him. Maybe he is finding his voice as a writer filmmaker. I'd be cool with it. I do think this is who Marvel goes with.

3.) Spike Lee- I won't do good or bad with him everyone knows Spike. I doubt he would take it or they would offer. But I wouldn't put it at 0%. Maybe 10% ha.

4.)Andy Serkis- Wildcard here! Saw this on a website and makes sense. He is the bad guy in the movie. His directional debut is, next year I believe, live action Jungle Book. He has plenty of experience on big blockerbuster movies.

Those first two I believe are the real candidates Marvel will look too. But this is all a really long winded post to get to my point. Ryan Coogler should be their man. Just a matter of if he wants too. I am sorta torn on whether he will do it if asked or if he should. He is a writer/director. He wrote Fruitvale Station and directed it as well as Creed. It would be his first movie he doesn't write they already hired a writer, maybe he will get some say on the script. But there in lays the problem and why Ava turned it down. Marvel is a big machine that doesn't always give the artist free range (see Ant-Man/Edgar Wright, still turned out good however). But then again, if Ryan kills this movie he will be able to do whatever he wants after, especially if Creed kills as well. Be good experience on a big blockbuster. I think it's a no brainier Marvel asks him if Creed does well but I don't know if they wait that long to see.

It's an interesting dynamic on whether Marvel will ask him to do it (is he too inexperienced? Too young?) or if Coogler will do it if asked (does he value autonomy? Is he ready for this?). I am really pulling for Coogler because he has a unique voice in cinema. Not too many blacks at his age with his back ground getting into film directing/writing. We need more! He is a year older then me at 29. I really hope he takes it then he blows up.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Well after lots of speculation it's been confirmed that the director of Black Panther is indeed going to be Ryan Coogler. I've not seen Creed yet but going by the incredibly positive reaction to it this seems like it could be a great move by Marvel.

Ryan Coogler to direct Marvel's Black Panther

It’s official, Marvelites: Ryan Coogler will step up to direct Marvel’s “Black Panther,” in theaters February 16, 2018!

Chadwick Boseman will star in “Black Panther” after debuting as the character in the upcoming Marvel’s “Captain America: Civil War,” in theaters May 6.

“We are fortunate to have such an esteemed filmmaker join the Marvel family,” said producer Kevin Feige. “The talents Ryan showcased in his first two films easily made him our top choice to direct ‘Black Panther.’ Many fans have waited a long time to see Black Panther in his own film, and with Ryan we know we’ve found the perfect director to bring T’Challa’s story to life.”

Coogler wrote and directed his first award-winning feature film, “Fruitvale Station,” in 2013. Most recently he directed the critically-acclaimed “Creed,” which earned Sylvester Stallone a Golden Globe for Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture.

Black Panther has been an important character in the Marvel universe for 50 years. He is the king of the technologically-advanced nation of Wakanda, and Panther has served as a member of the Avengers in addition to his many solo adventures.

By the way... the trailer I seen at the cinema for "Deadpool" actually shows "The Black Panther"....in the film.

First time he didn't write something he directs. Hopefully it took so long to get it official he was negotiating getting his fingerprints on the script. He is so talented I think the worst he will do is make an adequate superhero flick. I am expecting a pretty damn good film though. Cool to see him branch out and work with Chadwick Boseman (who I think is sorely underrated).

As far as the studio messing with his voice, Ryan just strikes me as a dude that goes with the flow, not upsetting the studio, while somehow still getting exactly what he wants. He has an effortless compatibility with whoever he talks to. I think that rubs off on people who may be in charge of him at the studio and they are willing to concede things they normally wouldn't, maybe without even realizing it. He doesn't sacrifice while making someone else happy if that makes sense.

Anyways definitely even more pumped to see this movie now. Hopefully he can get a MBJ cameo in the movie somehow.

I saw the title and really hoped it'd be about The Black Panther. OK, it'd probably be about the social movement of the 60's, but hey, I could hope, right? ****ing cartoon.

I saw the title and really hoped it'd be about The Black Panther. OK, it'd probably be about the social movement of the 60's, but hey, I could hope, right? ****ing cartoon.
If you're referring to the notorious British robber and murderer Donald Neilson, then me too. Either that or a gritty alternative to Mario Van Peebles' disappointing black power chronicle Panther.