Christopher Nolan's Interstellar

Tools    

Well looks like the first official trailer is going be played in front of the new Hobbit movie. Exciting, only problem is I'm not into those Hobbit movies so I'll have to wait for it to pop up online

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

Finished here. It's been fun.
It's a nice trailer, but I have a few things to say about Nolan though. He is I suppose one of the better contemporary film-makers, but he yields much more praise than he deserves. His films are decent to good, but never great. Shallow characterization,uneven dialogue, and heavy exposition are frequent in all of his films. Still I think he's a capable director and I hope Interstellar is something really good.I don't think it's going to be a masterpiece(none of his films are), but it's nice to see an ambitious,original film that's not a remake or hollywood drivel.

You don't think movies such as The Dark Knight, Memento, The Prestige or Inception are masterpiece?

The Dark Knight is the modern day Raiders of the Lost Ark. It has that same praise and cult recognition. Memento is a highly original well made movie about someone who loses memory. Inception is one of the greatest Sci Fi movie I've seen. It shows that you can be, at the same time, a box office hit and a highly intelligent sci fi film and as for The Prestige (my favourite from Nolan) I think it will be remembered as one of the greatest movies from the 2000's it's atmospheric, obsessive and the reveal at the end is of Psycho or Oldboy proportion! Nolan is non only a good director, but he'll be remember as a legend for both is consistency (he hasn't made a bad film yet) and these 4 gems.

Memento is a solid neo-noir thriller I agree but far from a masterpiece imo. Inception is a solid sci-fi flick but it's nowhere near as confusing or complex as the many insist it is.It's rather hollow emotionally and lacks depth, plus it's heavy on exposition.Insomnia is decent but forgettable. Batman Begins is just a mediocre film at best. The Dark Knight is the best superhero film and his best film, but It
is not perfect, and TDKR is entertaining, but extremely flawed and incoherent.Haven't seen The Prestige.

Like I said, solid but not great director.

Understood, and in some cases I even sort of agree, but surely you can't think that Memento has shallow characterization?

I would definitely recommend The Prestige, especially given the things you dislike about Nolan's films. It's probably the most in-depth character study he's done.

To each their own. Just like other great directors, there will be those who hate his work, and those that praise it. I personally really enjoy most of what I've seen from him. For me, The Dark Knight is one of the greatest comic book films ever made, and Inception is a riveting sci-fi roller coaster. Shockingly, still haven't seen Memento or the Prestige, but I certainly will eventually.
Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, that's a straw, you see? You watching?. And my straw reaches acroooooooss the room, and starts to drink your milkshake... I... drink... your... milkshake!
-Daniel, There Will Be Blood

I still don't know what to expect from Interstellar after seeing this teaser. It only confirms the fact that Nolan has very ambitious intentions with this film, which is admirable. Hopefully he will succeed.
The film is still a little less than one year away from release, so we'll have to wait patiently.

Understood, and in some cases I even sort of agree, but surely you can't think that Memento has shallow characterization?

I would definitely recommend The Prestige, especially given the things you dislike about Nolan's films. It's probably the most in-depth character study he's done.
Memento is a good film, i'd rate it at about a
+. It's interesting and arguably one of the better films of the 2000's. I will definitely check out The Prestige sometime soon.I wasn't trying to hate on Nolan or anything,I just feel his films sometimes lack subtlety or any sense of humanity.

In the case of Inception. I like the movie, I think it's neat. But it's not nearly as complex as people make it out to be. It's rather straight-forward and simple. Something like 2001:A Space Odyssey is a masterpiece.Nolan has gotten a reputation as being a modern visionary and genius. I'm not saying he's a talentless hack, but he's not as great as people make him out to be.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Trailer gives away very little of what it's about or what to expect. In Nolan I trust( although a little bit less since he produced Man of ****).

The Bib-iest of Nickels
I am actually really looking forward to the movie, I was really hoping to see the trailer for the movie when I went to see The Hobbit 2, but I came in three minutes late, so I missed it. I liked Inception quite a ways, Batman Begins was good, The Dark Knight Rises was very good, but I found for Memento and The Dark Knight to be absolutely amazing movies. He's a very, very capable director, and I expect this movie to be very good.

I love when these threads turn into Nolan hate/love sessions. It's happened about 3 times in this one alone haha. He personally is my favorite director, always mark the date when a new Nolan movie comes out.

This trailer was awesome. I don't need a bunch of scenes from the movie so far out yet. Just give something to tease me and this succeeded. End of the trailer gave me goosebumps.

I love when these threads turn into Nolan hate/love sessions. It's happened about 3 times in this one alone haha. He personally is my favorite director, always mark the date when a new Nolan movie comes out.
Oh well. I'm certain that there were plenty of Kubrick love/hate discussions during his time as well.

I have a feeling this thread is about to heat up again. Here is the first poster for the film. Pretty simple and slick. Phew boy and that tagline gets the inspirational juices going.

Trailer number 2 is supposedly coming out in front of Godzilla starting May 16th. So that should be on the internet soon therefore after. After the trailer it will probably cool down again, the marketing but after the summer season I can see it being pushed into high gear.

Looks different from his other stuff. Not that that is a bad thing, necessarily.