Ashamed of being American

Tools    

Well, that goes without saying doesn't it squire? Otherwise you won't be able to dunk your chocolate digestives in your Earl Grey properly ... & we can't have that.
That would be so much funnier if we could hear the accent. Y'all sure do talk funny.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Don't be so blatant. I know plenty of "Americans" who do that. Of course there are as many different kinds of Americans as there are kinds of any different national group, especially those who speak "English".

Semper Fooey
Australians talk funny, too.

"He has all the time in the world ... "
That would be so much funnier if we could hear the accent. Y'all sure do talk funny.
We have a lot of funny accents, from Scouse, Geordie & Mancunian to Black Country, West Country, Estuary & Cockney.

My parents were born in the Black Country, I can speak & understand the dialect fluently.

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikiped...saft_enuff.jpg

Australians talk funny, too.
How about New Zealanders? There is a difference between Aussie & Kiwi as well.

You know no one in England ever really watched the Benny Hill show don't you?
C'mon! We loved Benny Hill. We don't like to admit it anymore, but we did. BTW, that theme tune would be my choice as our national anthem. That'd be ****ing great. Hell, it might even make it worth staging the Olympics next year.

Think of it. British athlete on the top step, gold medal round their neck. The flag starts to rise, cue music.

I remember when I was an angst filled high schooler. I still loved my country, though.
Really? Why? Not singling out the US, why love any country? It's an accident of birth and one you had no choice about. I can sort of understand loving where you live, in a local sense, but not a country.

Why is it that the French have a balanced meal plan and fast food is dominating America just to make a quick buck?
I think you've answered your own question in that sentence.

I'd rather be American than French.
number 10--we have a space program. france doesn't.
As has already been pointed out, wrong.

number 9--we have five times as many people.
And this is a good thing why, exactly?

number 8--we have new york city, france has Paris.
Exactly!

number 7--we are a superpower; france ia a minor country.
Minor country?

number 6--we have a larger economy than france.
This is true.

number 5--we have disneyworld, seaworld and the playboy mansion; france has the effiel tower.
Again, I don't know why you'd boast about this.

number 4--we saved france's bacon during WW2.
The US were a part of the effort to win WW2, yes.

number 3--without us france would still be a german province and the french would be speaking german.

number 2--we have hotter women than france.
This one's close, but I'm inclined to agree. However, I'd like to do more research.

and the number one reason america is better than france--WE'RE NOT FRANCE.
Yep. The US is definately not France.

We might be fat but at least we brush our teeth.
Brits actually have the HEALTHIEST TEETH IN THE WORLD!! Fact. (I'll be honest, I'm surprised about this too.)

Not necessarily true, I've met French people who don't drive like homicidal maniacs & can park properly.
Possibly, but I bet you've not met an Asian you can say that about.

If England wasn't so mean to the Puritans there would never be a United States.
This is not true. Also, the creation of an independent US owes a lot to the French. That's gotta hurt.

Have you ever actually been to France? The French love everybody ... except La Roast Beefs.

Anyway, we don't eat roast beef every day, sometimes we have Vegemite sandwiches. I'd rather eat roast beef than amphibious limbs any day!
Vegemite?!?! I don't think you're British at all.

How about New Zealanders? There is a difference between Aussie & Kiwi as well.
There is, but it's so much funnier when you tell them there isn't and that they sound exactly the same. It's also good form to ask them which pub they work at when you meet them for the first time. They love that one, though it does tend to be more Aussies than Kiwi's. Kiwi's also wait tables.

As we're messing with stereotypes and such, can I ask all Americans to stay in the US. That, or send different citizens. I went to the US and everyone was really polite, gracious, spoke at a reasonable volume, dressed normally (well, mostly ) and were just good, decent people. Those who visit/vacation outside the country tend to do/be the complete opposite in my experience.

I would make a joke at the Scotch expense, but all the stereotypes are true... Including the one about them not having a sense of humour about these things.

Originally Posted by honeykid
Really? Why? Not singling out the US, why love any country? It's an accident of birth and one you had no choice about. I can sort of understand loving where you live, in a local sense, but not a country.
I've lived all over the country, I watched my pops go to work everyday serving the country as a pilot for 23 years. Even in high school I valued my countries founding documents and history and I even knew people that died for our freedoms that I value. Its pretty simple, really.

I acknowledge that there are problems, but these problems occur in any landmass that human beings inhabit. You can't say the same thing about the successes of my country, a lot of it is limited to my country alone.

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
I've lived all over the country, I watched my pops go to work everyday serving the country as a pilot for 23 years. Even in high school I valued my countries founding documents and history and I even knew people that died for our freedoms that I value. Its pretty simple, really.

I acknowledge that there are problems, but these problems occur in any landmass that human beings inhabit. You can't say the same thing about the successes of my country, a lot of it is limited to my country alone.

Semper Fooey
That guy is annoying.

Couldn't you post a right wing veteran who didn't have a whiny voice?

C'mon! We loved Benny Hill. We don't like to admit it anymore, but we did. BTW, that theme tune would be my choice as our national anthem.
That might work although I still like 'Jerusalem'.

Possibly, but I bet you've not met an Asian you can say that about.
Depends if they're driving a taxi or not.

This is not true. Also, the creation of an independent US owes a lot to the French. That's gotta hurt.
This is probably why both the US & France drive on the 'other' side of the road & drink horrible fizzy pasteurised lager beer.

Vegemite?!?! I don't think you're British at all.
It just spreads better than Marmite.

There is, but it's so much funnier when you tell them there isn't and that they sound exactly the same. It's also good form to ask them which pub they work at when you meet them for the first time. They love that one, though it does tend to be more Aussies than Kiwi's. Kiwi's also wait tables.
LOL! I wonder how many times Russell Crowe has been asked about exactly where in Australia he was born?

Actually I'm a Welshman so your accent theory still works out
Bore da. Sut ydych chi?

My grandfather fought with the RAF in WW2. He helped defeat the Luftwaffe in the Battle of Britain in 1940. Virtually all of those pilots were either British, Anzac, Canadian, Commonwealth or Poles. I, like most citizens, value my country's values & freedoms & those who died to protect them. What's your point?

You can't say the same thing about the successes of my country, a lot of it is limited to my country alone.
Yes, it certainly is:

The CIA has been organizing “regime change” for 50 years. They have removed many governments that are unfriendly to US corporate interests and replaced them with regimes that are more likely to work closely and slavishly to carry out the economic and geopolitical desires of the US corporate elite.

In early 1963, Saddam had more important things to worry about than his outstanding bill at the Andiana Cafe. On February 8, a military coup in Baghdad, in which the Baath Party played a leading role, overthrew Qassim. Support for the conspirators was limited. In the first hours of fighting, they had only nine tanks under their control. The Baath Party had just 850 active members. But Qassim ignored warnings about the impending coup. What tipped the balance against him was the involvement of the United States.

~ Richard Sanders

(1)

The real reason we waged war with Iraq is that in November, 2000 Saddam Hussein refused to accept the U.S. dollar for his oil, and instead switched to the euro. Hussein also made a dramatic move by switching all of his U.N. reserves from the dollar to the euro. Thus, our invasion was nothing more than an attempt to maintain the dollar’s monopoly on oil purchases throughout the world. Stated differently, we wanted there to be no other choice than the dollar as the world’s sole petro-currency. Our attack, then, was an example to other countries – don’t convert your system over to the euro, and don’t challenge the dollar’s dominance.

And today, even though the U.S. is mired in a godawful war, we did thwart a widespread move to an alternate currency. In addition, we’ve also encircled the Middle East with military bases (especially Iran) so that any future uprisings or shifts away from “popular convention” can be immediately quelled.

To prove this is what happened, ask yourself: what is the first thing the United States did in 2003 after invading Iraq? Answer: after our troops “shocked and awed” their way into Baghdad, they immediately set-up a central bank! Now think about this scenario. We’re in the middle of a war, and what do we do first, above and beyond everything else? We set-up a bank! How much importance do you think this notion has? An enormous amount.

We then ripped-up all of Saddam’s old euro-based oil contracts, switched everything back to the dollar, and tied the whole damn thing back into the Federal Reserve. Our planners also cut-off the euro-based Oil-for-Food program within two months of “Mission Accomplished.”

Now when you think back to America’s invasion of Iraq, why do you think so many countries were perturbed by our actions? It’s because our Coalition Provisional Authority (CPA) nullified all of the previous euro-based oil contracts that Saddam Hussein made between 1997-2002 with countries such as France, Russia, and China. The total worth of these agreements totaled $1.1 trillion! They all disappeared into thin air, and had to be renegotiated in dollars.

~ Victor Thorn

(2)

George Bush planned "regime change" in Iraq before becoming United States President in January 2001. The events of September 11, 2001, were the pretext for invasion of Iraq, not the reason.

The blueprint for the creation of a "global Pax America", to which Bush subscribes and which is driving the invasion of Iraq, was drawn up in September 2000 for Dick Cheney, Donald Rumsfeld, Paul Wolfowitz, Jeb Bush (George's younger brother) and Lewis Libby (Cheney's chief of staff).

The document, called Rebuilding America's Defences: strategies, forces and resources for a new century, was written in September 2000 by the neo-conservative think tank Project for the New American Century.

According to the document, written three months before Bush became president, "the US for decades sought to play a more permanent role in Gulf regional security. While unresolved conflict with Iraq provides the immediate justification, the need for substantial American force presence in the Gulf transcends the issue of the regime of Saddam Hussein."

The document outlines the global ambitions of the Bush Administration. It sets out a "blueprint for maintaining global US pre-eminence, precluding the rise of a great power rival, and shaping the international security order in line with American principles and interests".

~ Kenneth Davidson

(3)

We all know that the U.S. is the worlds economic leader, but few people understand how the U.S. maintains its dominance. The answer lies the in the U.S. Dollar. The Dollar is the de facto world reserve currency it accounts for approximately two thirds of all official exchange reserves. More than four-fifths of all foreign exchange transactions and half of all world exports are denominated in Dollars. In addition, all IMF loans are denominated in Dollars.

But the more dollars there are circulating outside the U.S., or invested by foreign owners in American assets, the more the rest of the world has had to provide the U.S. with goods and services in exchange for these dollars. The dollars cost the U.S. next to nothing to produce, so the fact that the world uses the currency in this way means that the U.S. is importing vast quantities of goods and services virtually for free.

Since so many foreign-owned dollars are not spent on American goods and services, the U.S. is able to run a huge trade deficit year after year without apparently any major economic consequences. The most recently published figures, for example, show that in November of last year U.S. imports were worth 48% more than U.S. exports. No other country can run such a large trade deficit with impunity. The financial media tell us the U.S. is acting as the ‘consumer of last resort’ and the implication is that we should be thankful, but a more enlightening description of this state of affairs would be to say that it is getting a massive interest-free loan from the rest of the world.

However, with Europes introduction of the Euro, things are beginning to change. One of the stated economic objectives, and perhaps the primary objective, when setting up the Euro was to turn it into a reserve currency to challenge the Dollar so that Europe too could get something for nothing.

This however would be a disaster for the U.S. Not only would they lose a large part of their annual subsidy of effectively free goods and services, but countries switching to Euro reserves from dollar reserves would bring down the value of the U.S. currency. Imports would start to cost Americans a lot more and as increasing numbers of those holding dollars began to spend them, the U.S. would have to start paying its debts by supplying in goods and services to foreign countries, thus reducing American living standards. As countries and businesses converted their dollar assets into euro assets, the U.S. property and stock market bubbles would, without doubt, burst. The Federal Reserve would no longer be able to print more money to reflate the bubble, as it is currently openly considering doing, because, without lots of eager foreigners prepared to mop them up, a serious inflation would result which, in turn, would make foreigners even more reluctant to hold the U.S. currency and thus heighten the crisis.

~ Chris Brunner

(4)

To hear supporters of George Bush now, the only reason he invaded Iraq was to introduce democracy to that country, and the reasons we are still there are to combat the terrorists who entered Iraq after we invaded and to save face. But in the weeks and months leading up to the invasion it was quite a different story. Back then the Bush Administration's pitch to the American people was: "Saddam Hussein has chemical and biological weapons and even nuclear weapons that he plans to give to Osama bin Laden and al-Qaeda who will then smuggle them into the United States and kill tens of thousands of people." Even if you knew nothing about Iraqi history and politics, this argument should have appeared dubious on the face of it. In the terrorist attacks that have taken place inside the United States, including the World Trade Center bombing of 1993, Timothy McVeigh's bombing of the Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City and the 9/11 attacks, none of the perpetrators needed to smuggle weapons into the country. Whatever they needed, they found right here inside the United States.

I believe that there were three important informal groups within the Bush Administration that were anxious to invade Iraq, although certain individuals belonged to more than one group. These groups were 1) war profiteers 2) neo-conservative ideologues and 3) supporters of Israel.

~ David Wallenchinsky

These articles may be a bit dated now, but note that they are all written by Americans.