Your Favorite Guitar Solos?

Tools    

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
I could actually name probably a dozen more, but this is plenty enough.

Also, the person who posted Eddie Van Halen' 'Eruption':

I don't know if you were around back then, but I was a teen, and I'm here to tell ya, 'Eruption' changed the game.

92 seconds of unbridled, aggressive innovation. (although the hammer ons at the end was done by The Edgar Winter Group's 'Frankenstein' 3-4 years earlier)

Up to that point, in my world, anyway, Ted Nugent was the man.

Then here comes this young gunslinger who knocked Uncle Ted off his throne and inspired a generation of guitarists.

The sad thing about EVH is after, what, 35 years or so, hasn't evolved all that much. Still playing the same style & sound.
It was me, read post #48.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
All the ones on Led Zeppelin II.

Example:

I'm going to add this one. since it's an homage to Led Zep II, although I think everything about the song is better than the solos, but they're still great.

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
Woke up this morning thinking of guitar solos, so adding a few more today

Solo at 3:26 mark--BTW, the guitars by Mick Taylor and Mark Knopfler are tasty--btw, the girl's just a beard
?list=PLtB5MQa4EIxKyQuURvnqB7L43ZCjkBtgO

Johnny Winter's whole damn career actually, but check out the intro for this one

If you don't know Popa Chubby, then you should -- 2:35 mark, among others

Jerry Douglas on Dobro at 4:10 -- Actually, the level of musicianship for these guys is so high that every single one of them is amazing.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right

Seriously, though:

At 12 min. Pretty easy, I learnt it myself at some point. It goes very well with the song atmosphere and is AMAZING.

At 5:52 min. Whatta badass band, I like them more than Black Sabbath.

At 1:47.

Dat acoustic solo at 4:18.

Starts at 3:00.

Just some solos I like. There's lots more.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

A system of cells interlinked
Alex Lifeson's guitar solo in Rush's in La Villa Strangiato
This was going to be one of my choices. Alex isn't the most technically accomplished player, but sometimes, he just completely nails the perfect solo for a given piece of music. The way he builds the tension and energy in La Villa Strangiato is a clinic on how to slowly build energy into a piece of music over time. I also really like his solo on the track Analog Kid off the record Signals.

For slower, more lyrical playing, I enjoy David Gilmore. There are plenty of examples: pretty much anything off of Wish You Were Here, Dark Side of the Moon, Animals, or The Wall will give a person a great idea of his approach to soloing. I am sure most folks in this thread have heard him play, so i won't bother posting Pink Floyd tracks.

In the metal realm, Mart Friedman is a pretty accomplished soloist. Check out the solo in Tornado of Souls:

The production on this record is a victim of its time, but it is what it is. The solo is really well written and performed.

I like John Petrucci's solo in this Dream Theater instrumental. Not a huge fan of the band, mostly due to the vocals and a tendency to wank around all day in their tracks. I like this track, though.

Also, plenty of good stuff on Steve Vai's Passion and Warfare, as well:

Anyone that thinks these instrumental guys like Vai are just wanking should check out the above track. The guy gets so much feeling and expressiveness out of his guitar in this track. Great stuff.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
I just looked at the last page, but I figured there would be a Dream Theater mention. Dream Theater is a band that is a sum less than that of their parts.

I hear ya MM.

Crow's solo starts 45 seconds in.

The actual guitarist is Andy LaCasse.

Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Dead Talk Back

The People's Republic of Clogher
Basically all of this:

When I remember watching Neil live (at around the time of this record) I remember the sunshine, I remember that girl, I remember the fantastic dope, I remember Neil saying he loved Ireland and actually believing it.

I remember that it left me a bit deaf.

EDIT - Was listening to that and the eejit cut things off when it starts to get really good..... after 10 minutes. Try this.

Tom Morello - Bulls on Parade (Rage Against The Machine)

Tom Morello - Like a Stone (Audioslave)

Jonny Greenwood - Just (Radiohead)

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Without a doubt, by far, David Gilmour's solo on Pink Floyd's "Time" - if you haven't heard this, please do, it'll be the best recommendation I make. Bone chilling, even after listening to this constantly for almost 20 years.

Also, Led Zeppelin, Jimmy Page's solo on "Achilles Last Stand" gives me chills.