Your Favorite Guitar Solos?

Tools    

A solo is just another part of the song, not the main event.
Well in my opinion a great guitar solo ought to be.

Clearly you don't listen to anything "soothing" because there's a lot of soft music around and implying it has no punch to it is like saying all soft classical music are all lullabies.
Yes, you know my tastes so well.

I listen to plenty of softer music, but those songs generally don't have guitar solos in them and so are irrelevant to this thread.

"Self-love", whatever that means, doesn't make sense.
Self-love is a euphemism for masturbation. I didn't think I needed to spell that out, but apparently I do. The guitar is a very phallic instrument and a guitar solo - in the context of the rock and roll I listen to (as well as most of what has been posted here by other users) - is an opportunity for the guitarist to show off.

All a solo is is an instrument adding some flair, whether it lasts a 8 measures or half a measure. It doesn't have to be a stand out part...
If it's not "a stand out part" then how is it "adding flair"? If it sounds just like the rest of the song, what's the point?

Well in my opinion a great guitar solo ought to be.
Then you're severely limiting yourself.
Yes, you know my tastes so well.

I listen to plenty of softer music, but those songs generally don't have guitar solos in them and so are irrelevant to this thread.
How are they irrelevant if I posted 3 songs with great emotional solos? Apparently only worthy solos are in your face and highly accessible, news to me.
Self-love is a euphemism for masturbation. I didn't think I needed to spell that out, but apparently I do. The guitar is a very phallic instrument and a guitar solo - in the context of the rock and roll I listen to (as well as most of what has been posted here by other users) - is an opportunity for the guitarist to show off.
Guitarists who play solos purely to show off aren't musicians. I'll tell you why, real musicians don't care if they impress you.
If it's not "a stand out part" then how is it "adding flair"? If it sounds just like the rest of the song, what's the point?
Since when does "adding flair" automatically equate to MAIN EVENT? The second sentence is too ignorant to comment on.

Well, its obvious to me that you have very different ideas and concepts of good guitar solos, so hey..... lets just all try to get along and be friends. my cats are smiling

How are they irrelevant if I posted 3 songs with great emotional solos? Apparently only worthy solos are in your face and highly accessible, news to me.
Seriously? Now you're making zero sense. I said that the "soothing" songs I listen to (me, not you) don't contain guitar solos and since this thread is about guitar solos those soothing songs that I listen to (again, me not you) are not relevant to this thread.

Guitarists who play solos purely to show off aren't musicians. I'll tell you why, real musicians don't care if they impress you.
Yeah, well musicians who play professionally should care whether or not they impress their audience.

Since when does "adding flair" automatically equate to MAIN EVENT? The second sentence is too ignorant to comment on.
I said "What's the point of a solo if it doesn't stand out?"

It can stand out without actually being the main event. It doesn't have to be in your face but if it sounds just like the rest of the song it seems pointless to me.

Seriously? Now you're making zero sense. I said that the "soothing" songs I listen to (me, not you) don't contain guitar solos and since this thread is about guitar solos those soothing songs that I listen to (again, me not you) are not relevant to this thread.
You worded it odd to where it sounded like you said all calm songs are irrelevant, sorry.

Yeah, well musicians who play professionally should care whether or not they impress their audience.
They do, but they don't rely on jacking off their instrument to do so.
I said "What's the point of a solo if it doesn't stand out?"

It can stand out without actually being the main event. It doesn't have to be in your face but if it sounds just like the rest of the song it seems pointless to me.
This doesn't make sense. The examples don't sound like the rest of the song, they blend in well, adding some color, and leave. Plus earlier you said a solo is the main event so now you're flip flopping.

This doesn't make sense. The examples don't sound like the rest of the song, they blend in well, adding some color, and leave. Plus earlier you said a solo is the main event so now you're flip flopping.
I'm not flip-flopping. I said "a great guitar solo should be the main event" and then I said "a solo is pointless if it doesn't stand out."

I also don't see how my "wording was odd."

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
&feature=player_embedded

Stevie Ray Vaughan - Change It

Damn it, Loner, I came into this thread just to post Eruption. Rep for you.
I got to see Van Halen in Eugene, OR. in 1980 when I was sixteen. About half way through the set, David Lee Roth pretends to be coaxing a shy Eddie Van Halen on to the stage. Eddie proceeds with a completely amazing ear and eye bleeding solo. Roth was all over the place, jumping off amp stacks.

I've had the utmost respect for them after that. It was a crappy venue in the middle of Oregon. They could have mailed it in. Who would have known? But they didn't.

I think Jimi Hendix did some of the best ever , I also love Carlos Santana's guitar solos. I can't pick between the two
Just post your favorites.

Also, if you and PW visit Jimi Hendrix's Memorial, be sure to drive and extra mile to Chuck's Donut Shop.

Randy Rhoads - Over The Mountain - Ozzy Osbourne

The People's Republic of Clogher
Sugar - Tilted

Bob 'Hero' Mold, of course. Circa the 2 minute mark.

As you may tell, I'm not very rock.

I must say Robert Fripp is one of my favorite guitarists.

I like his work with David Bowie the best.

&ob=av2n

David Bowie - Heroes

David Bowie - Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps)

&feature=related

David Bowie - Fashion

Welcome to the human race...
Fripp's definitely one of my favourite guitarists - can't decide whether his best non-Crimson work was either his part on "Heroes" or his part on this:

My favorite Paul Leary work is on Dog Inside Your Body.

Sounds like a donkey braying.

Alex Lifeson's guitar solo in Rush's in La Villa Strangiato

Sudoku Blackbelt
I have a handful, so I'm not gonna post any links.

David Gilmour~ Time & Comforably Numb. The man's a true artist.

Molley Hatchet ~ Bounty Hunter

Boston ~ Hitch A Ride

The Eagles ~ Hotel Califonia

Alice Cooper ~ Wish You Were Here

Ozzy ~ Bark At The Moon

Iron Maiden ~ Hallowed Be Thy Name

Aerosmith ~ Train Kept' A Rollin'

I could actually name probably a dozen more, but this is plenty enough.

Also, the person who posted Eddie Van Halen' 'Eruption':

I don't know if you were around back then, but I was a teen, and I'm here to tell ya, 'Eruption' changed the game.

92 seconds of unbridled, aggressive innovation. (although the hammer ons at the end was done by The Edgar Winter Group's 'Frankenstein' 3-4 years earlier)

Up to that point, in my world, anyway, Ted Nugent was the man.

Then here comes this young gunslinger who knocked Uncle Ted off his throne and inspired a generation of guitarists.

The sad thing about EVH is after, what, 35 years or so, hasn't evolved all that much. Still playing the same style & sound.