Your Favorite Guitar Solos?

Tools    

It is the epitome of bland. I could play it flawlessly after playing for a year and a half, and was bored to no end. You can only bend the same note, play the same scale so many times.

As far as I'm concerned, this is the greatest piece of music ever written. Piece of piss to learn. In fact, I know people who can't play the piano who can play this.

I think Jimi Hendix did some of the best ever , I also love Carlos Santana's guitar solos. I can't pick between the two

As far as I'm concerned, this is the greatest piece of music ever written. Piece of piss to learn. In fact, I know people who can't play the piano who can play this.
Besides the fact that people who can't play piano CANNOT play piano, ok. And what about the other thing I wrote?

Besides the fact that people who can't play piano CANNOT play piano, ok. And what about the other thing I wrote?
What? That's it's bland? I think you're mental. But, hey, that's... Like.... Your opinion, man.

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Eddie Van Halen - Eruption - Van Halen

All good people are asleep and dreaming.

Eric Johnson - Cliffs of Dover

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I will admit that when I think of my "favorite" guitar solos, I think of them from the perspective of me, the listener, and not the player. Shoes recorded this album (Black Vinyl Shoes) in their living room with homemade guitars and cheap production values. I think it's pretty much a wow no matter what anybody tells me otherwise.

Unfortunately some of my fave solos from that album aren't even available on YouTube, so I'll post this one instead. The extreme limitations on their production actually adds mightily to the eerie, ghostlike effect of the vocals. Sometimes it reminds me of a perfect pop album sung by ghosts to their lost loved ones.

&feature=related

What? That's it's bland?
Forget it.

This is a pretty simple one. Robert Fripp, guitarist for King Crimson and God of Sustain, is one of the most influential guitar players I know, lots of people rip him off for good reason, picking just two of his solos is silly but w/e. This song is from a Brian Eno collaboration, and somewhat anticipates some sounds he will create when collaborating with David Sylvian (more specifically Riverman). It's a standout in my mind for his signature style, which is usually much more complicated, meets simplicity, which the mixing helped giving it lots of ebb along with the guitar effects, but mores for its modesty. The solo comes and goes when it should, only becoming a sum of the parts of the beautiful song, a sign of a well-learned player.

This other one is an example of his earlier style with KC. Once again less complicated than his usual but very free form unlike his usual. This being the last song of the album, its structure is very important and thus the solo coming in only for the end is suitable as all the instruments solo with it because, and I will stress this infinitely, the guitar solo is not the point of any song.

&feature=related

Just because, here's a much more recent song, somewhat influenced I'm sure by Fripp. Porcupine Tree isn't a band I'm exactly a fan of but this song I find very good, and the solo at the end followed by the never-ending outro shows the power of dynamics and actually putting yourself into the solo rather than just messin about.

Okay then.

You and I clearly have a fundamental disagreement on what makes a great guitar solo. To me, a great solo is the guitarist's "self-love" in music form. The sound created should arouse and excite the listener, not lull them to sleep.

You call "Free Bird" boring and then post that first one? Sure it's pretty, but it sounds to me more like a cure for insomnia than a great solo. The second one was better but not by much. The third is yet another lullaby. I think I need some caffeine now.

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
For the most part, I like tasty breaks and a short solo that enhances the overall emotion of the song.

Here's another I like (forgive the sound quality, it's a bootleg):

&feature=related

From the terribly underrated Mike Campbell.

In a private conversation with WT, it appears that this is a perfect example of what he's talking about in regards to the guitar solo.

As the song is built around the sound of the guitar, to isolate the 'solo' is redundant/not applicable.

I think I've got that right. I'm sure he'll let us know if I've not.

To me that counts as more of just a quick instrumental break in the song, rather than a solo. It's too short and too similar to the rest of the song. But, okay.

Okay then.

You and I clearly have a fundamental disagreement on what makes a great guitar solo. To me, a great solo is the guitarist's "self-love" in music form. The sound created should arouse and excite the listener, not lull them to sleep.

You call "Free Bird" boring and then post that first one? Sure it's pretty, but it sounds to me more like a cure for insomnia than a great solo. The second one was better but not by much. The third is yet another lullaby. I think I need some caffeine now.
I already described why I feel Free Bird is poor and you just dismissed it. A solo is just another part of the song, not the main event. Clearly you don't listen to anything "soothing" because there's a lot of soft music around and implying it has no punch to it is like saying all soft classical music are all lullabies. "Self-love", whatever that means, doesn't make sense.
To me that counts as more of just a quick instrumental break in the song, rather than a solo. It's too short and too similar to the rest of the song. But, okay.
All a solo is is an instrument adding some flair, whether it lasts a 8 measures or half a measure. It doesn't have to be a stand out part, but in the music you listen to it clearly is built to be a highlight of the song, which has its own pros and cons depending on the track.

As the song is built around the sound of the guitar, to isolate the 'solo' is redundant/not applicable.

Yes and no, I mean the song as a whole works and the solo adds to that in a non-generic way. It's exciting in that way.

Okay then.

I already described why I feel Free Bird is poor and you just dismissed it. A solo is just another part of the song, not the main event. Clearly you don't listen to anything "soothing" because there's a lot of soft music around and implying it has no punch to it is like saying all soft classical music are all lullabies. "Self-love", whatever that means, doesn't make sense. If you mean soul, then it's still wrong because you should put yourself into the whole song.
All a solo is is an instrument adding some flair, whether it lasts a 8 measures or half a measure. It doesn't have to be a stand out part, but in the music you listen to it clearly is built to be a highlight of the song, which has its own pros and cons depending on the track.

Yes and no, I mean the song as a whole works and the solo adds to that in a non-generic way. It's exciting in that way.

&feature=related
This provides a good example. Just skipping to the solo in this song doesn't do anything for the solo. Hearing the song from the beginning and hearing the continuous yet subtle crescendo of the track, and then hearing how the solo accents it all, which the drums help accent the solo in return, provides a means of how it is one with the song and still adds power to it.