Tyler1's Favourite 50 Films

→ in
Tools    

but I'm still dying for people who namedrop flicks such as Persona (Sexy says he hates that one - it's nowhere as legit as a Medea flick) or many of the other ones I've posted around here.)
How'd I get involved in this? I didn't say I hated Persona - I said it bored me. I'll give it a second chance someday. And it's Madea, not Medea.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Thank you. You proved my point, if I had one. I should get to speak without thinking sometimes too. I still prefer Medea, so call me ignorant.

Thank you. You proved my point, if I had one. I should get to speak without thinking sometimes too. I still prefer Medea, so call me ignorant.
Honey, I think before I speak at massive intensity.

That's what's so flippin' scary, but nobody else cares. You're everyone's fave. I always thought of you as my fave too, until you got so serious that you told everyone how to live their life just like that fool Dr. Phil. Then you got even more serious. I don't understand. I honestly wish I did understand why you think you are THE ONE. It sounds like the God you tell people for a fact is in their own mind. I don't get it.

That's what's so flippin' scary, but nobody else cares. You're everyone's fave. I always thought of you as my fave too, until you got so serious that you told everyone how to live their life just like that fool Dr. Phil. Then you got even more serious. I don't understand. I honestly wish I did understand why you think you are THE ONE. It sounds like the God you tell people for a fact is in their own mind. I don't get it.
I only want to respond to this publicly just because I feel I should comment since you've already said this all aloud. But then I don't want to speak anymore of it here since it doesn't belong here. I would love it if you would PM me at anytime and get out whatever it is you want to get out at me and hopefully we can talk and patch things up because I have really liked you a lot before, too.

I don't see myself as going around telling people how to live their lives. I also don't feel like everyone's fave. Most of the time, I feel underappreciated and undervalued. I don't feel like THE ONE, I don't feel like Dr. Phil (whom I don't find a fool, personally), I don't feel like Oprah -- well, sometimes I feel like Oprah, but that's a separate story -- I don't feel like any of these TV gurus. You think I'm seeing myself as some kind of lecturer, a guru? I'm flabbergasted. In a way, it's very flattering, as well, but jeez -- I don't know why you found this aspect of myself so negative. I don't know what I've been saying that's pissed you off. Yeah, I like helping people, but, PLEASE. Share with me very sincerely any tips or whatever you think I need knowing. Your contributions are very valuable to me. I'd like to be friends. I'm not some phoney. I may be flawed, but I'm not trying to be fake -- which I know is how people like Dr. Phil and others come across.

You don't need to get so nasty with me. You can talk to me like a human being. I'm half your age and I don't know as much as you do.

That's a very nice post. I'm going to bed now but maybe things will be much better with us now. I hope so. I just needed to get things off my chest and I honestly believe that they should be in public since we aren't the only ones around here having a squabble at this point. I will seriously erase the slate (including anything which you find unreasonable) and I hope all is good with us now. Just think about me and I'll think about you.

Love,

Mark

Just think about me and I'll think about you.

Love,

Mark
*sigh* If only he had signed, "Love, Jake Gyllenhaal."

All is wonderful.

I can't do everything. Afterall, I'm sexier than Jake but what're yagonnado? Forgive me, Tyler for absconding with your thread. If people read and understand this though, I think it's a wonderful thread and a slight derailment can only help.

haha i'll say it then. Soz for them arguing in your thread Tyler .

Afterall, I'm sexier than Jake but what're yagonnado?
Get out my adult toys and reallllly do some thinking about you. Anything for someone that sexy.

Now that you guys have settled your differences, back on topic.

Tyler, cool list man. Two of these I've never even heard of, namely Werckmeister Harmonies (what an über-cool title btw) and Last Year At Marienbad, which is strange since I've watched some Resnais films.

These are the ones I particularly like:
  • The Shining
  • The Thing
  • La Haine
  • The Conformist
  • North By Northwest
  • There Will Be Blood
  • Wall-E
  • Unforgiven
  • Le Samouraï (one of Melville's 3 masterpieces, eager to see if one of the other 2 makes your list)
  • The Maltese Falcon
  • Chinatown
The only film I really have no love for at all is Gilliam's Brazil, which I found to be weird for weirdness' sake. It left me cold and unengaged.

Other than that one, keep up the good work.

^ Thanks! For Melville, i think he has done 2 masterpieces - le samourai and army of shadows. what's the 3rd one? bob le flambeur? I've not seen that one

As for Brazil, i like it because of its dystopian themes, eg. unnecessary paperwork, terrorism, intrusive technology, obsession with beauty (plastic surgery), police state etc.

24. The Grand Illusion (Renoir, 1937)

23. Spirit Of The Beehive (Erice, 1973)

22. On The Waterfront (Kazan, 1954)

21. Apocalypse Now (Coppola, 1979)

20. Ugetsu Monogatari (Mizoguchi, 1953)

I think Mizoguchi is the best Japanese director known to man He directed dozens of films, of which only 3 drew international acclaim, and Tales of Ugetsu is one of them. It's so surreal, like a Bunuel film. It's also quite similar to Murnau's Sunrise, only that it is much more depressing. Mizoguchi is a feminist director, meaning that most of his films deal with women's oppression in society. For me, he ranks among the top tier of talented directors and i strongly beseech you to watch this or give this a try if you have not.

^ Thanks! For Melville, i think he has done 2 masterpieces - le samourai and army of shadows. what's the 3rd one? bob le flambeur? I've not seen that one
I think Lime considers Bob Le Flambeur to be a masterpiece. Or was it Le Doulos? Can't remember, you'd have to check his Top 100. I think Le Cercle Rouge is a bonafide masterpiece without equal in its genre. Come to think of it, it's my favourite Melville.

Rep for Raging Bull, 12 Angry Men, and of course, my all-time favorite movie, VERTIGO!

EDIT! Having seen Taxi Driver, I absolutely adore it. Still have to check out Apocalypse Now, but that last post was absolutely fantastic.

Some great movies so far, and a lot I haven't seen. You seem to have good taste, so I'll be sure to check out Ugetsu Monogatari. I've not seen many Japanese films outside of Akira Kurosawa, and I hear he's one of the most western influenced directors of the east, so it'll be interesting to see a different kind of Japanese film.

Looking forward to the rest!

^ Thanks so much. As for Kurosawa, he's great too. It's just that he and Ozu are more well-known in the West compared to Mizoguchi, though from the films ive seen from these 3 directors, Mizoguchi's films have affected me the most. I have not seen Teshihagara's Woman in the dunes nor any of Kon Ichikawa's films yet, so i cant say i know a lot about Japanese cinema.