Pictures of Cinemas

Tools    

Photos of cinemas that you've been to or that you like.

This is a theater in Melbourne called Sun Theatre I go to. There is only a few arthouse/alternative cinemas in Melbourne and this is one of the best. Its an interesting little cinema right in the center of Yarraville surrounded by cafes and resturants.

The Sun Theater 1958

Hmmm, interesting idea for a thread. Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of theatres on me right now.

Here's the theater I go to most of the time, the Loews Waterfront 22:

I first went to see an early showing of Die Another Day. When I moved into my second apartment, my brother and I found a place right across the bridge from The Waterfront, which is a big, sprawling area near the river with all sorts of shops, including this theater. It's maybe a 25-minute walk, and a 5-minute drive. So we pounced on it, and it makes catching flicks a lot easier/more pleasant. It's a big, stadium-style seated theater that just installed a converted IMAX screen. Might not be as good as a normal IMAX screen, but it's awfully nice to have in the theater that's already closest to me.

What's more: they're big enough that they have a lot of Midnight showings, even for films that aren't always tremendously anticipated. And the Midnight showings are at matinee prices! They also have reserved seats for said Midnight showings, so we don't have to show up an hour early just to get so-so seats for the event pictures. That's a huge perk, as I'm always the one organizing things and buying the tickets in advance for all my friends, and we'd never be able to arrive early enough together, or get to sit together, if we couldn't reserve seats. We've seen lots of films at Midnight together, and have some pretty interesting stories to tell about them. In fact, I bought ten Watchmen tickets for everyone just the other day.

More still: even though they're a big chain theater, they get a fair number of more narrowly released films. At least, compared to the previous theaters I've lived near. Probably because they've got a ton of screens.

Here's a shot of the inside:

Of course, being a fairly populated theater, we've gotten plenty of idiots doing those things in movies we all hate, but I love the theater itself, and it's great that it's near so many other shops and restaurants. If we're especially late or early for something, we can change our plans on the fly and kill time on either end of the film, or just make a day of the whole thing. I really dig living near it and I'm sure I'll go through some kind of withdrawal if I ever have to move away from it, as the next-nearest theater would probably be a bit of a let down in comparison.

there's a frog in my snake oil
My local art-house cinema, The Phoenix, is "believed to be the oldest purpose-built continuously serving cinema in the UK".

It looks a bit different these days...

And is a lot more glam inside than out

It also ploughs through a load of worthy film fodder that i should really delve into more often

Some of this sort of thing went on in THIS thread.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Another popular cinema in Melbourne is The Astor in St Kilda that plays all kinds of movies through out the year in an old theater turned cinema.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
The Showcase Cinema in South Wales is my local cinema, it is a nice place fairplay, here is a pic of it.

I used to love going here as it has quite comfy seat's but due to my condition I am unable to visit the cinema any more, which is very gutting.

This is the "Park and Dare" in Treorcy it is a very small cinema with one screen and the films that get shown there are films that have just finished thier showing in the decent bigger cinemas.

The is this cinema in Ton Pentre called the "Phoenix" and it is a sh*thole, sorry but it is a dive. I have been in there once or twice and the floors are sticky, and there are kids swinging from the rafters. It is more like a youth club than somewhere you go to enjoy films.

This is the muni arts centre in Pontypridd very close to me and it has one small screen and it also show's films that have been shown in the bigger cinemas first, just like the Park and Dare.

It is a shame that I canot go to the cinema any more as I used to go regular with my wife but as the price of two adult tickets equal's the cost of one new dvd. We have a decent home cinema system so were happy with that, as we dont have to shout "Down in front"

Cineworld in Cardiff has much much more comfartable seats than the one in Nant Garw n3wt.

Can't fnd anymore decent pics. I think it was the UGC or something.

Edit: Yeag UGC

The first older, classic theatre I ever went to is The Senator Theatre in Baltimore, Maryland, a seventy-year-old single screen Art Deco beauty, opening night was October 5th, 1939. A recent article in Moving Pictures magazine named The Senator one of the "10 Best Movie Theaters in America" (article HERE) and in 2005 Entertainment Weekly crowned it one of America's "10 Theaters doing it right" (article HERE). It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, a bonafide landmark. My first experience there was a keeper: the Spring of 1989 when the restored Lawrence of Arabia played in glorious 70mm. Saw it twice in as many days.

The Senator's exterior is distinctive, but mostly at night when its front lights up like a gigantic jukebox. It has a lush lobby: chandeliers, terrazzo floors and murals abound. Class all the way, with the kind of detail and ornamentation theatres just don't invest in anymore. The house itself has about nine hundred seats plus a special mezzanine, with gilded molding of a setting sun atop the screen that radiates across the ceiling. The screen is an old-style forty-foot curved bit of perfection.

The Senator has been featured in films and television projects over the years. The big non-Barry Levinson or John Waters one is in Terry Gilliam's 12 Monkeys (1995). They are supposed to be in Philadelphia at the time (the film was shot in and around both Baltimore and Philly), but it's definitely The Senator. It's the scene where Bruce Willis' Cole and Madeline Stowe's Kathryn Railly are hiding at a double feature of Hitchcock, Vertigo and The Birds (the marquee also advertises Psycho and Strangers On a Train). The interior with seats and screen isn't The Senator, but the exterior and the lobby when the Bernard Herrmann score kicks in and Stowe shows up in her blond wig and disguise, that's it.

In Levinson's Avalon (1990) it is the threatre where young Michael (Elijah Wood) is watching his Rocket Man serial and where he and Elizabeth Perkins are standing outside of when the streetcar comes down the hill, jumps its tracks, crosses York Avenue, and smashes into their car at the gas station across the street.

But perhaps the best place to see The Senator is in a seventh season episode of the Levinson-produced "Homicide: Life On the Street" called "A Case of Do or Die", original airdate February 12th, 1999. The B-plot is a murder detectives Mike Giardello (Giancarlo Esposito) and Rene Sheppard (Michael Michele) have to solve that took place in the theatre during a midnight double feature of Bogart movies, Casablanca and The Big Sleep. The dead patron was a rude, noisy know-it-all who wouldn't shut up and kept ruining the theatre experience for others by talking back to the screen and yelling out lines or plot points ("She gets on the plane, she leaves him behind!"), and as one of the other patrons they interview tells them "There wasn't a soul in that theatre who didn't want that man dead." I'll just tell you whodoneit: it is the theatre manager, played by Wallace Shawn, who has finally had enough of the man's base lack of consideration for cinema lovers. There's a great bit from Richard Belzer's Detective Munch in the middle of the episode...

DET. MUNCH
Love, money, revenge: of all the various and sundry motives
for murder, talking in the movies is the most reasonable excuse.

DET. GIARDELLO
Yeah, this Blowen probably died of natural causes.

DET. MUNCH
That's what you think. Really, the Gods of the Old Hollywood
are sitting up there in their Busby Berkeley version of Heaven,
smoking cigars, drinking rye on the rocks, looking down in
disgust at this loony B-Picture we call our lives. They're all up
there together, The Columbia Goddess, The MGM Lion, The Four
Warner Brothers, and they spot this schmuck, Blowen, making
a mockery of their life's work so what's left to do but write the
offending actor's final scene? Voluminous sweets get the letters
of transit, our loudmouth has a massive cardiac arrest, fade out,
the end.

http://www.senator.com

The Sun (Yarraville)

How does everyone go to all these nice and unique theaters? In my town, all we got is old plain boring theaters. We don't even have an IMAX theater either. My town sucks for movie theaters.

How does everyone go to all these nice and unique theaters? In my town, all we got is old plain boring theaters. We don't even have an IMAX theater either. My town sucks for movie theaters.
It's like The Wolf told Jules and Vincent: move outta the sticks, fella.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Or go live here...

(Couldn't find a better place to post this 'home theatre' by Hagy Belzberg )

(Don't just sit and watch a single frame of Bogie & Bergy for hours tho. That'd be silly )

God, I love some of these cinemas!! It's a real shame how most of the handsome, venerable old movie/cinema palaces have long since gone the way of cinema heaven