Comic book adaptions you'd like to see?

Tools    

I am the Watcher in the Night
Wonder Woman is the only member of the DC Trinity that has not been given a movie yet. Then again I want it done right, as solo super heroine movies SUCK! See Catwoman, Supergirl, and Elektra.

I am also still waiting for a hard R Deadpool movie.
I think they're in the process of making a Deadpool movie. I hope he gets to say his iconic one liners now.

I'm just not convinced with solo super heroine movies because there just isn't as much material to work with in comparison to solo male superheroes. Wonderwoman can be exciting at times and there have even been some good story lines in the past but they just haven't been as successful as the wealth of other material which surrounds other DC heroes. I remember a few years back there was a massive push to make WW relevant but it just didn't work.

I hate to say this but 99% of female characters in comic books are foils for their male counterparts, on their own, their character development, or lack of, becomes glaringly obvious.

I think they're in the process of making a Deadpool movie. I hope he gets to say his iconic one liners now.

I'm just not convinced with solo super heroine movies because there just isn't as much material to work with in comparison to solo male superheroes. Wonderwoman can be exciting at times and there have even been some good story lines in the past but they just haven't been as successful as the wealth of other material which surrounds other DC heroes. I remember a few years back there was a massive push to make WW relevant but it just didn't work.

I hate to say this but 99% of female characters in comic books are foils for their male counterparts, on their own, their character development, or lack of, becomes glaringly obvious.
The Deadpool movie has been in production hell for years. So I will believe it when I see a green light. Though I really hope they do.

And I do agree that the vast majority of female heroes are foils for or somehow related to a male counter part. Batgirl to Batman, Black Canary and her relationship to Green Arrow, Powergirl and Supergirl to Superman, etc. But that being said I would like to see a Wonder Woman movie since she was made as a stand alone character and the male love interest was the damsel in distress not her. And she is the only one of the DC Trinity to not have a movie. And I think for that, she deserves a movie.

But as much as I want to have a Wonder Woman movie, at the same time I would be very worried about it. Not so much whether there is source material you can make a movie on, but that most Hollywood super heroine movies tend to follow an over emphasis of the "badass female" thing. They try to overdo the badass stuff at the expense of femininity. To the point that she is more an anti-hero then a hero, and the character is no longer really seen as a woman, and more of a fantasy pinup. We see this with Elektra, the god awful Catwoman movie, and Barb Wire (yes that was once a comic from Dark Horse). When you look at these characters they are defined by skimpy outfits and their willingness to crack skulls and beat people up. These are not charaters. Characters have personality beyond skimpy outfits. And those that do have some kind of personality are very poorly written. They actually tried to do this to Wonder Woman in an NBC TV show pilot, and it never made it to the TV screens because it was that awful. And a violent antihero, Wonder Woman is not. And we can still have badass females who are still distinctly women. Ellen Ripley much?

So yeah if there is going to be a Wonder Woman on the big screen, she will probably be introduced like Black Widow was in Iron Man 2.

I am the Watcher in the Night

But as much as I want to have a Wonder Woman movie, at the same time I would be very worried about it. Not so much whether there is source material you can make a movie on, but that most Hollywood super heroine movies tend to follow an over emphasis of the "badass female" thing. They try to overdo the badass stuff at the expense of femininity. To the point that she is more an anti-hero then a hero, and the character is no longer really seen as a woman, and more of a fantasy pinup. We see this with Elektra, the god awful Catwoman movie, and Barb Wire (yes that was once a comic from Dark Horse). When you look at these characters they are defined by skimpy outfits and their willingness to crack skulls and beat people up. These are not charaters. Characters have personality beyond skimpy outfits. And those that do have some kind of personality are very poorly written. They actually tried to do this to Wonder Woman in an NBC TV show pilot, and it never made it to the TV screens because it was that awful. And a violent antihero, Wonder Woman is not. And we can still have badass females who are still distinctly women. Ellen Ripley much?

So yeah if there is going to be a Wonder Woman on the big screen, she will probably be introduced like Black Widow was in Iron Man 2.
I agreed with your whole post, Deadpool needs to make it to the screen somehow.

Back to WW, I totally agree with the points you made, particularly the bits I emboldened. This isn't just a problem with female superheroes but a problem with female heroes in movies in general, to make them seem more kick ass, the people writing these characters lose track of what makes a female a, well, female. Al femininity seems to die away, great examples are a number of Angelina Jolie's action roles, she was basically a man with boobs.

There have been some well written female characters in action movies, for example Jean Grey in the first 2 Xmen movies, although the writers fell into the very easy habit of writing her as a love interest for two conflicting male protagonists but she still managed to hold her own. I think Katniss in The Hunger Games is one of the better female characters in an action role in recent times but that has a lot to do with how well written she is in the books.

I have not seen the Hunger Games or read the books, so I will have to take your words for it. And yes anytime Angie Jolie is on screen in an action movie she is a man with boobs. Like Meat Loaf in Fight Club with more guns and prettier. Now we could also put anything Mila Jovovich is in directed by hubby Paul WS Anderson. Even then, the whole "badass female with little femininity" thing can work to make a cool character. Vasquez in Aliens being one example. But even then she was overshadowed by Ripley.

And yes Hollywood does get it right at times, but when they f**k it up, you get something truly terrible!

This would be a series of horror movies. All visually stunning, deep character development, incredible freshness, and just overall exceptional storytelling.

Neil Gaimans' Sandman was the only comic run that could stand toe-to-toe with any work by Alan Moore. Even Watchman. Truly exceptional stuff.

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
Black Panther movie

Wonder woman

hercules

Flash
Not super hero
Archie

Dr Strange is a must for me but I'd love to see X-Men tackle The Phoenix Sage, properly. X3 broke my heart in such a major way!

I'd also like to see Elektra rebooted but it needs to get away from Fox.... Fox just don't have a grasp on what the fans want to see or the maturity of the content they actually own.