Television Series

Tools    

I suppose this is the best place. I'm looking for a good t.v. series. Ones I've watched include: Dexter, Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, Sons of Anarchy, The Walking Dead, Lost, True Blood, and there are others I've seen on t.v. off and on.

My favorites:
Breaking Bad
Dexter
The Walking Dead

The others had some fun story, but didn't bring the same kind of excitement for me.

Smells mystical, doesn't it?
Carnivale

If you want ones that have finished I recommend The Sopranos which is my favourite. I also loved Lost and I've only heard good stuff about The Wire.

Ones that are on now try It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia which starts its 7th season on thursday and Boardwalk Empire which has just begun its third season, one is a comedy and one is a gangster series set in the prohibition era, both are brilliant.

Almost forgot Homeland, just finished watching the first season and thought it was brilliant, season 2 has just started as well.

I second Carnivale, but very different from the three series that are your favourites, but do try it! they horribly axed it after only two series, the buggers.

I think I'll give some of these a try. I've come across them before, but was unsure about them.

For some reason, The Sopranos and The Wire strike me as shows I wouldn't like. Have any of you seen Oz? I've been wondering about that one.

Mad Men has been conspicuously absent so far. That and Breaking Bad have been the best dramas for a while now.

For comedy, the three best on TV right now are Louie, Girls and Community. Modern Family, How I Met Your Mother, The Big Bang Theory are fun but missable.

Also check out Californication and if you haven't already, Band of Brothers.

Smells mystical, doesn't it?
I second Carnivale, but very different from the three series that are your favourites, but do try it! they horribly axed it after only two series, the buggers.
Makes me cry every time I think about it. What a damn good show.

Supernatural
Is good too. Especially after the first season.

I've only seen about 10 random episodes of Oz, but I really liked it. There's been a few good programmes mentioned so far, I'd recommend The Wire and The Soprano's (though I do understand that you don't feel you'd like them) as well as Homeland. Mad Men, I can't recommend enough. For my money, it's been the best drama on tv for the last 5 years. As for others?

Well, there's Buffy and Angel, obviously, then you've got Fringe, The Good Wife, The Big C, The Borgias, Twin Peaks, Friday Night Lights, Battlestar Galactica (I prefer the original, but the reboot is 'better') American Horror Story, Six Feet Under, Due South, Drop Dead Diva, Damages, Monk, Blackadder, Being Human (UK), Life On Mars (UK), Ashes To Ashes, Cracker, Pushing Daisies, My So-Called Life, The Hour (Series 2 starts in the UK soon).

So many more, but I've got a headache, so I'll leave it there.

I've got soul but I'm not a soldier
I've been hooked on Justified since it first aired, so I'd definitely recommend that. For comedy I think you'd like the show Workaholics and if you're willing to give the new Two and a Half Men with Ashton Kutcher a chance I think you should check that out.

Mad Men has been conspicuously absent so far. That and Breaking Bad have been the best dramas for a while now.
Mad Men has come up a lot in my search. None of the descriptions have drawn me in yet, but you liking Breaking Bad gives your suggestion some credibility. Maybe I should commit to a few episodes.

Makes me cry every time I think about it. What a damn good show.
Supernatural
Is good too. Especially after the first season.
I've committed to the first season of Carnivale. It's fairly interesting so far. As far as Supernatural, I've been a pretty big fan of it for awhile (not even close to my top 3, in my opinion, but entertaining). I really feel like it should have ended when
WARNING: "Plot" spoilers below
Sam was trapped in hell with Michael and Lucifer and Dean was forced to move on with his life. It seemed like the perfect bad ending for the series. Not that I don't like having more to watch. I just think that would have been best.

I've only seen about 10 random episodes of Oz, but I really liked it.v
Maybe I'll check that out next. A few series off your list caught my eye.. I suppose I'll be busy.

I've been hooked on Justified since it first aired, so I'd definitely recommend that.
Justified looks odd, in a good way. Might be worth a shot. As for the new Two and Half Men, I lost interest a long time ago. Everybody bashes Alan, I get it! My tendency to root for the underdog doesn't help .

How about Weeds, or the rarely talked about but well worth watching series from 1995/96: Nowhere Man?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nowhere...28TV_series%29

If you are a fan of the nineties, you might like (remember?) this one too; Deadly Games, with Christopher Lloyd and Cynthia Gibb
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0111937/

Mad Men has come up a lot in my search. None of the descriptions have drawn me in yet, but you liking Breaking Bad gives your suggestion some credibility. Maybe I should commit to a few episodes.
If you ask me you can't decide whether or not to watch a show based on the premise unless it's extremely subversive to your tastes. I try to watch as many pilots as possible, and go from there. A show centered around advertising execs sounds pretty dull, but it's not a high-concept show, it's a human drama.

It's all in the reflexes.
Hell on Wheels is pretty sweet, its up to episode 3-4 of the second season here in Oz not sure about your part of the world, I was also a big fan of Heroes which went for 4 seasons.

If you ask me you can't decide whether or not to watch a show based on the premise unless it's extremely subversive to your tastes. I try to watch as many pilots as possible, and go from there. A show centered around advertising execs sounds pretty dull, but it's not a high-concept show, it's a human drama.
I think you're right. I should probably just download a few pilots of shows that appeal to me and then go from there. I read that Dexter was about a serial killer that kills serial killers and that The Walking Dead was about zombies, so obviously I would be draw to those, but I didn't watch Breaking Bad for awhile because I wasn't sure about the description and it ended up being amazing. I think I'll finish up with Carnivale (which is pretty good) and then do that.

You guys can keep 'em coming if you want. I won't disregard any suggestions.

I'm sure I've posted all these suggestions before, and more besides, but spread the wealth, as they say.

Cop/Crime shows: The Sweeney, (the ultimate 70's cop show), Charlie's Angels, Starsky And Hutch, Castle, Bones, Criminal Minds, Underbelly, Homicide: Life on the Street

Comedy: Porridge, The Good Life, Absolutely Fabulous, Yes, Minister/Yes, Prime Minister, The Thick Of It, Red Dwarf, Sledgehammer, Father Ted, Spaced, The Young Ones, 'Allo, 'Allo, Fawlty Towers, Friends, A Touch Of Cloth (funniest thing I've seen this year) Married... With Children, Just Shoot Me, Family Ties, Roseanne

Drama/Mini-Series: State Of Play, Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, Prime Suspect, The House Of Cards Trilogy (House Of Cards, To Play The King, The Final Cut), I, Claudius, Our Friends In The North (possibly the best drama of the 90's), This Life..., The Singing Detective, Band Of Brothers, The Prisoner (original series), The Avengers, Red Riding Trilogy, Rome, A Town Called Eureka, The Ringer

Foreign Language: Wallander (any version's good, but the 2005 series with Krister Henriksson as Wallander is superb), The Killing (really looking forward to the final series), Borgen, Spiral (Engrenages), Monkey (dubbed, but great fun) The Water Margin (I've yet to see an episode, but I have Vol 1 ordered. Hoping I like it) Inspector Montalbano, Das Boot, The Kingdom, Heimat (I've not seen it, but it's supposed to be brilliant. Costs too much for me to buy it blind, though)

Documentary: The Ascent Of Man, Civilisation, Life On Earth, The World At War, The Nazi's: A Warning From History

*Edit* A quick mention for Harper's Island. An excellent series.