The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back is such a sweeping epic - it blew my mind every time I watched the first part of it as a kid (it aired relatively late so I never could stay late enough to finish it) - I think I finally got to finish it a couple of years later and it was very good

Se7en is a really good serious A-movie killer thriller - not too many of that kind apart from Memories of a Murder and a couple others (most killer flicks are B-grade - nothing wrong with that - just sayin'). Been a long time but I still remember the finale. Solid stuff!

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King did show up, indeed, so the first one will be super high - crazy! I remember liking the King best because I loved the epic battle at the end. Well, it's good.

Psycho along with Vertigo are probably Hitch's best films but personally, the silent The Lodger: A Story of the London Fog is my favorite of his. Anyway, I only watched Psycho once. Could use a rewatch. I remember frowning upon the in-your-face explanation at the end but that final smirk of Norman Bates almost justifies it. Also, Psycho is tied with Antonioni's L'Avventura as the first film to have a protagonist vanish in the middle of the film and never appear again. I'm pretty sure there's an earlier film like that but these two are generally thought to be first, and hell, L'Avventura was really hated and booed at Cannes for among others that fact. Antonioni's approach is perhaps even more radical than Hitchcock's because we never know what happened to Monica Vitti as opposed to the very obvious fate of Janet Leigh's character.

Seven Samurai is a total masterpiece and one of the first Japanese films I have ever watched if not the actual first one (or maybe it was Rashomon?). It's not my favorite Kurosawa - that would be Red Beard, but it's probably the best one to get started with. Kurosawa's direction is absolutely phenomenal, from his blocking to his handling of the story, to his handling of the characters. I already loved it the first time I watched it but a rewatch only solidified it as a masterwork for me. However, looking at the works of Kurosawa only knowing Seven Samurai is just as dangerous as looking at the entirety of Japanese cinema only knowing Kurosawa. People often come out thinking every single Japanese film has screaming Mifune-like types (Kurosawa was inspired by Noh theatre and it's even more apparent in Throne of Blood) or other similarly ridiculous thoughts. All I can say is you shouldn't limit yourself to just Seven Samurai or just Kurosawa. Japan is the single most powerful country when it comes to cinema and the number of masterpieces and talented directors to come from that country beats even the cinematic powers of France and the USA.

Stalker is a film I watched twice, the second time with my mom. I remember having a long discussion with her about the film and how this "ugly, indecipherable film" changed to one of her all-time favorites. She rewatched it since then (alone) and still loves it. I almost made my mom a Tarkovsky fan. Almost because she either disliked or was cold toward his other films. Mirror is my favorite Tarkovsky but Stalker is probably his best to start with (many people say Ivan's Childhood is best as your first Tarkovsky but I just don't think it makes you ready for what's to come later). Stalker we know now is the second version of the film. The first version's negatives all got destroyed in rather mysterious circumstances. Also, the grounds they shoot at, in Estonia, were radioactive, which led to deaths of actor Anatoly Solonitsyn and Tarkovsky himself.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Hey, I'm moving some of these posts about a possible comedy list to the Suggestions for future countdowns thread. Reminder to direct stuff like that there. If someone starts to toss around ideas in here, reply to it there, instead.

Tomorrow's hint:

Don't bend over backwards
To avoid joining the dead
Let your feet leave the ground
Until you're light in the head

You don't have to fall
For angels have wings
And you'll fly with the help
Of Biblical kings

Of that grand tradition
Of rulers and scions
Read the book written
By the one who faced lions

But no face off is civil
And no war is polite
And it isn't so frivol
For which thing you fight
Many men are made slaves
By money and spite
And they lie in their graves
Clutching iron pyrite

A system of cells interlinked
Tomorrow's hint:

You don't have to fall
For angels have wings
Of Biblical kings

Of that grand tradition
Of rulers and scions
Read the book written

But no face off is civil
And no war is polite
And it isn't so frivol
Many men are made slaves
By money and spite
Clutching iron pyrite
Raiders of The Lost Ark and The Matrix

Hey, I'm moving some of these posts about a possible comedy list to the Suggestions for future countdowns thread. Reminder to direct stuff like that there. If someone starts to toss around ideas in here, reply to it there, instead.
Sorry, didn't see this before my last post, will direct comments there from now on. Thanks!

Wings of Desire and...Ben Hur, maybe?
Wings of Desire was my first thought too. No idea about the second one, but then, I'm very bad at guessing these.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Tomorrow's hint:

You don't have to fall
For angels have wings
Of Biblical kings

Of that grand tradition
Of rulers and scions
Read the book written

But no face off is civil
And no war is polite
And it isn't so frivol
Many men are made slaves
By money and spite
Clutching iron pyrite
Got to be The Matrix

Tomorrow's hint:

You don't have to fall
For angels have wings
Of Biblical kings

Of that grand tradition
Of rulers and scions
Read the book written

But no face off is civil
And no war is polite
And it isn't so frivol
Many men are made slaves
By money and spite
Clutching iron pyrite
Blade Runner and Apocalypse Now?
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Maybe The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. The last verse, in particular, makes me think of this.

Edit: The first verse could be making references to the various hanging scenes.

Tomorrow's hint:

You don't have to fall
For angels have wings
Of Biblical kings

Of that grand tradition
Of rulers and scions
Read the book written

But no face off is civil
And no war is polite
And it isn't so frivol
Many men are made slaves
By money and spite
Clutching iron pyrite
Gladiator and Matrix or Raiders of the Ark

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

The only reason The Seven Samourai didn't make my top 10 is because I've only seen it once so far. It has so much going for it like Mark said, story, characters, endless influence, action, humor, and even romance and strong emotion. Top 5 for greatest film ever made IMO.

Out of the 5 Tarkovsky I've seen, I liked Stalker the least and I don't think it'll change.

6. American Beauty
9. A Clockwork Orange
11. The Seven Samourai
18. City of God
19. The Apartment
21. Die Hard

Seven Samurai is a great, epic, action film. I love it and it's a total 5-star film for me. Didn't list it though.

Have not seen Stalker.

19. The Searchers #97
1. To Kill a Mockingbird #85
25. Die Hard #63
14. Rear Window #40
8. It's a Wonderful Life #38
2. Aliens #37
13. The Wizard of Oz #36
9. Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back #30

Tomorrow's hint:

You don't have to fall
For angels have wings
Of Biblical kings

Of that grand tradition
Of rulers and scions
Read the book written

But no face off is civil
And no war is polite
And it isn't so frivol
Many men are made slaves
By money and spite
Clutching iron pyrite
Gladiator?

It's intentional for me as I almost never have 90 mins or more uninterrupted with a toddler. [Controversial warning] I also get through more thanks to watching on my phone... not giant effect spectacles obviously [/controversial warning]
I hear ya

(not about the phone thing, though, geez! )