The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

The Adventure Starts Here!
Tomorrow's hint:

After you're done relaxing in the hotel, put on your dancin' shoes. You'll definitely want to wear shoes, because this won't be cut and dry, or easy.
Die Hard
All That Jazz

??

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds

I had Mulholland Dr at #19.

I didn't know what to make of it on my first watch as it was hyped up for me. I left kinda confused and underwhelmed. Well....on subsequent viewings, I've grown to love it. To the point where I have put it on my list. I feel like Lynch is the perfect director for those kind of reactions. I would certainly put it at the top of his filmography with Blue Velvet right behind it.

As with others, I loved Forrest Gump when I was younger, but have grown lukewarm to it since then. It's an innocent enough film that makes people feel good about themselves. Not much else. It beat out Shawshank Redemption and Pulp Fiction for Best Picture....two films I consider milestones in cinema. I don't hate Forrest Gump, I still like a lot about it...just not enough to put it anywhere near my top 25....or top 50.....

Suspect's Reviews

Elephant Man, Inland Empire and The Straight Story have all been vying for my attention for quite some time.
And at some point I really should get to Eraserhead, despite my reservations towards it.
Maybe it’s appearance and placing in this countdown was just the jolt I needed to return to him. It’s been far too long.
Elephant Man is one of my top ten favorite movies. They used the original plaster casts of Joseph Merrick's head to create the makeup for John Hurt for the movie, and it's so authentically done that it moves me with every viewing. The "Lynch" elements seem to fit this movie beautifully.

On the topic of Lynch movies, I like Lost Highway and did not like Eraserhead on my first and currently only viewing. I definitely need to give that one another chance.

One film I will not give another chance though is Inland Empire.

The trick is not minding
Elephant Man is one of my top ten favorite movies. They used the original plaster casts of Joseph Merrick's head to create the makeup for John Hurt for the movie, and it's so authentically done that it moves me with every viewing. The "Lynch" elements seem to fit this movie beautifully.
I literally came *this* close to watching it a few years ago.
For some reason I passed and it was removed from viewing shortly after.

But...it's his best

I couldn't even finish the film.

It's his first film to be shot digitally and he said he would never shoot another feature on film again....yet he has yet to shoot another feature!!!! The film is WAAAAY too long to boot. I just could not get into it and I don't see myself trying anytime soon.

I wonder if this whole paul blart thing was a troll job heck I even forgot about it being mentioned before until usual suspect had a picture of blart's face lol, damn I hope this movie don't even make it on here, especially when it beats movies like Terminator 2 and other good movies

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

Wowey. Thought Gump wouldn't be on this list. Feels like it gets a lot of hate on this site. I get the criticisms but it's just such a wonderful journey of a movie to me. Funny, heartfelt, sad and most important entertaining. I always appreciated, at least to me, sending the message to be genuine and say yes to opportunity the rest will work itself out. I love it but I grew up with that and Shawshank on TV every weekend. (interested to see where Shawshank ends up.) You can debate all day about those movies, maybe being on cable non stop hurt their stock. Being too accessible. But again when they hit cable and stayed that was my formidable years. I have a great affection for those movies.

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

I think Mulholland Drive is one of Lynch's better movies. I like only Blue Velvet and The Straight Story more.

Haven't seen Gump in at least 10 years. If I had, maybe it makes my list. I think it has a lot to offer and was a very deserving best picture winner.

I think Mulholland Drive is one of Lynch's better movies. I like only Blue Velvet and The Straight Story more.

Haven't seen Gump in at least 10 years. If I had, maybe it makes my list. I think it has a lot to offer and was a very deserving best picture winner.
I would have agreed any other year....but Shawshank should have won that year.

Also, one last note on Gump I always found interesting, maybe everyone knows this trivia. Dave Chappelle was offered the role of Bubba. Turned it down because he thought it was racist and later said he regretted it. Love Chappelle but it would be hard to picture him as Bubba, dude that actually played Bubba was perfect.

I literally came *this* close to watching it a few years ago.
For some reason I passed and it was removed from viewing shortly after.
These lists always change, but this is a good place to keep looking for this movie till you find it someplace you want. (I bought the DVD so I can watch it anytime I want.)

https://www.justwatch.com/us/movie/the-elephant-man

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I don't understand why people love Mulholland Drive. The first half of the movie was okay, but by the end, it made no sense to me.

The first thing that I don't understand is why the two women didn't go to the police immediately when they found out that Rita was in a car accident and she had amnesia. It didn't seem like she did anything wrong, so why were they afraid to go to the police for help?
WARNING: "SPOILERS for "Mulholland Drive"!!!" spoilers below
And then everything after the blue box scene made no sense at all. I assume it was supposed to be a dream, but which part was real, and which part was the dream?

The first time I saw Forrest Gump was in the movie theater, and I thought it was good, but not great. Then I watched it again recently for a HoF, and I loved it. It didn't make my list, but I'm glad to see that it made the countdown.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Tomorrow's hint:

After you're done relaxing in the hotel, put on your dancin' shoes. You'll definitely want to wear shoes, because this won't be cut and dry, or easy.

My first thought for the hotel part of the hint was The Grand Budapest Hotel, mainly because I think that it's still too early for The Shining to show up.

I'm still thinking about the dancin' shoes part of the hint.

I don't understand why people love Mulholland Drive. The first half of the movie was okay, but by the end, it made no sense to me.

The first thing that I don't understand is why the two women didn't go to the police immediately when they found out that Rita was in a car accident and she had amnesia. It didn't seem like she did anything wrong, so why were they afraid to go to the police for help?
WARNING: "SPOILERS for "Mulholland Drive"!!!" spoilers below
And then everything after the blue box scene made no sense at all. I assume it was supposed to be a dream, but which part was real, and which part was the dream?
It's been a while since I've seen it so some of the details are a bit fuzzy for me, but this is what I remember the film to be about:

WARNING: spoilers below
First, I'll respond to the points and questions you raised. The dream ends when the cowboy says "Time to wake up", illustrated by Betty's and Rita's names changing. Everything in the film which occurs before that is a dream, so the fact that the two women don't go to the police can be thought of as dream logic, which explains why it seems illogical. As for the blue box, my reading is that it's a window from the dream world to the real world. For instance, right before the dream sequence ends (again, it ends with the cowboy's line), Rita goes to unlock it only for it to fall to the floor, with her disappearing from the room. Also, right before the ending, the hobo behind the dumpster can be seen opening the box, where Betty's parents from the dream come out of it (indicating her dream is spilling over into reality).

Essentially, the point of the film is that Diane (Betty in the dream world) dreams up the events from the first few acts to escape from the real life conflicts she faces. As is shown in the final act (again, real life), Diane is in love with Camilla, but Camilla doesn't feel the same towards her. They have a failed affair and it's heavily implied that Camilla slept with Adam to get the lead role, while Diane received a small part. In her dream world, however, many elements from the real world are projected onto it. For instance, a prominent change is that Betty and Rita do have a successful romance in the dream given by their sex scene. As for another change, though Betty (Diane) doesn't get the lead role in the dream despite her strong performance, the reason for this is shown to be because of a massive conspiracy where Adam was forced not to choose Betty (it's important to understand the significance of the actress getting the lead role in the dream being named Camilla Rhodes).

Anyways, I know that more things happens in the film beyond what I covered, but I'd have to watch it again to refresh my memory on the various characters and scenes in the film. This is the general framework of the film though. Personally, I'm not a fan of analyzing films as unique and strange as this one as I greatly prefer admiring them for their sensual power, but yeah, this film does invite analysis, for sure. At any rate, I hope this helps

Die Hard
All That Jazz

??
No Inception ??????????

@Yoda - you might want to check that ^ this account ^ hasn't been hacked, something just doesn't look right to me

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Tomorrow's hint:

Die Hard? hopefully not the Shining. Too early surely.

We've gone on holiday by mistake

I couldn't even finish the film.

It's his first film to be shot digitally and he said he would never shoot another feature on film again....yet he has yet to shoot another feature!!!! The film is WAAAAY too long to boot. I just could not get into it and I don't see myself trying anytime soon.
I managed Inland Empire on 2nd watch, it and found it a jumbled mess. I guess taking a stab at method acting.

I'm a huge fan of Lost Highway and Mulholland Drive but IE just didn't quite work for me.

I had Mulholland Dr at #19.

I didn't know what to make of it on my first watch as it was hyped up for me. I left kinda confused and underwhelmed. Well....on subsequent viewings, I've grown to love it. To the point where I have put it on my list. I feel like Lynch is the perfect director for those kind of reactions. I would certainly put it at the top of his filmography with Blue Velvet right behind it.
I had a similar experience, enjoyed my 2nd viewing, time for a third I guess. It takes such a savage swipe at Hollywood that it's not too sad to see the place dying somehwhat, or at least growing up a bit, Weinstein etc.