MoFo Fantasy Football 2020 - Regular Season

Tools    

Man, that's a bummer. I hope we all get a little break from injuries next year.

Playoff time! Let's do a quick rundown of the matchups. But first, some cool stats: the top six scoring teams took the six playoff spots, the top two scoring teams got the two byes, and the non-bye teams had nearly identical point totals, anyway.

Onward:

North Dallas TONGO
vs.
Censored Clowns

Technically TONGO was fourth in points, and Spaulding sixth, but on a per-game basis it's just 0.6 points per week. So basically identical, which is true of both matchups in the Quarterfinals.

Point totals are pretty misleading, though, because Spaulding's team can look totally different from week to week. It can look different based on whether #1 overall pick McCaffrey is in the lineup or not, whether Kyler Murray's shoulder is okay (or just generally has stopped catching defenses off guard now that they know he's elite), and whether Taysom Hill gets it to Michael Thomas enough. Those are his three big difference makers, and we've seen throughout the year that he basically needs one of them to have a big day in order to pull out a win, unless he gets help from his opponent.

Speaking of which, Murray's got a tough matchup and has really come back down to earth lately, so he might really need McCaffrey to come back this week, and he's dealing with a quad injury. It's possible even if he plays he's not quite himself, but we'll see. James Conner's been activated, at least, so worst-case he shouldn't be stuck with two "plug-and-pray" RBs this week, but he might still have to rely on one of those iffier backs. But one is a LOT more workable than two.

TONGO's matchup are pretty average overall. A huge part of his success will hinge on whether Brady finds Godwin much, since he's getting both sides of that. And look out for Keenan Allen, who's got a great matchup with Atlanta. And Dalton's steadied things in Dallas enough that EE's been at least usable again.

This is a very tough one to call. I have a suspicion the Patriots are gonna really limit Robert Woods and the Ram's passing game. So I think it probably just comes down to whether McCaffrey plays. I'll give a contingent prediction, where Spaulding maybe wins if he suits up (and plays most of the game), but probably doesn't if that doesn't happen.

Nocturnal Busts
vs.
WhentheLe'VeonBreaks

I don't think Justin has any matchups you could call bad. Or great, actually. They're all fine-to-good. Adam, on the other hand, has Josh Allen up against Pittsburgh's pass defense. They're down another linebacker after last week, but it's still a fearsome unit, and a bad matchup for your QB (particularly one like Allen) is worse than just about any other position, so that looms large.

That might be offset by Montgomery, who's been great lately and has a cushy matchup against Houston. Corey Davis could be a game-changer, too: he went insane against me in our Week 13 matchup, and he could put up some stupid numbers against Jacksonville.

Hilariously, we might be seeing the two best kickers in fantasy going toe-to-toe here, too: they combined for 29 points last week.

Oh, and did I mention Josh Jacobs probably isn't playing? Yeah. That probably swings it for me, especially since Allen's rushing floor means even a "bad" game against Pittsburgh probably keeps him in the high-teens. I think Adam takes this.

Very little confidence about either outcome. Best of luck!

The trick is not minding
Bears latest team to be hit by Covid. 4 positive tests force them to close their facility.
Let's be honest though, they're just trying to avoid playing the rest of their season

No McCaffrey at practice today. Hopefully it's just a precautionary thing and he'll be active on Sunday, but hopes are dimming, along with my chances of winning.

I've read a handful of articles this week that are really hyping Cam Akers as this year's unlikely fantasy playoff hero. I hope they're right, but I'm skeptical. I was far more selective this year about waiver wire claims, and for the most part I think I did a very good job of finding plug-and-play guys from the free agency pool (Jeff Wilson, DeeJay Dallas, Salvon Ahmed and Ito Smith all had double-digit games for me as desperation plays). Once I climbed to the top of the waiver priority, I kept crossing my fingers that an injury or something would open the door for a no-brainer acquisition that would elevate my squad. More often that not that seems to happen around this time of the year. So I was a little disappointed and felt like I was sorta blowing my waiver priority by using it on Akers last week, but my team was ailing and I needed immediate help, and a #1 priority would've done me no good if my season had come to a premature end.

Akers proceeded to get 21 carries, while Brown and Henderson were afterthoughts. Akers has been trending in the right direction for awhile now, so maybe the Rams will continue to ride his hot hand. I feel optimistic that they will at least rely on him as their goal-line back after watching him carry multiple defenders into the end zone last week. The Pats defense is playing really, really well right now, though, so I'm worried that both he and Woods fail to meet their projections tonight. It always sucks for that to happen on these Thursday night games, since I spend the next few days already thinking I'm going to lose.

Oof:

At least this came out earlier so you know. But man, what a weird bummer of a year, injury-wise. You hate to see it, even when it happens to other people/your opponents/whatever.

Only silver lining is I admit, if I can't win, TONGO would be the guy I'd root for next, since it'd be his first and he came close once before (losing the closest MoFo Bowl ever).

Speaking of those Steeler linebreaker injuries, yikes:

If you're keeping track, this is the guy who replaced Spillane, who himself was replacing Bush (one of their best defenders). So they're gonna be on their fourth-string guy there. Freaking nuts.

Oof:

At least this came out earlier so you know. But man, what a weird bummer of a year, injury-wise. You hate to see it, even when it happens to other people/your opponents/whatever.
I'd rather the team wait and tell me this 30 minutes before kickoff instead of curb-stomping my hopes and dreams on a Thursday afternoon.

The weirdest thing is that they were all completely separate injuries. First the ankle. He returns from that and immediately injures his shoulder. Now just as he's set to return again, he injures his quad. Somewhere in New Orleans there's a voodoo lady with a McCaffrey doll and a bunch of pins.

Panthers aren't making the playoffs anyway, so at this point they might as well put their franchise player in bubble wrap and preserve him for next year.

Yeah, what's good for you probably isn't smart for them. I also worry, just as a football fan, that maybe McCaffrey's just gonna be one of those guys. That's always a shame when it happens to an exceptional talent. Which it does kind of a lot, I think.

Anyway, TONGO's team is good but one game where Tampa's offense gets stomped is all it takes, too, so I wouldn't give up just yet.

I went to 2 MoFo Bowl Championship games and one of those I was so loaded with talent, Brees-Leveon Bell-Adrian Peterson that it looked like a lock I would win. Yoda even interviewed me! It was of course the kiss of death lol and I lost by less than a point and a half.

Now I honestly think 4 upsets in a row seems ridiculously unlikely. I HAD TO win last week, I was the underdog, and I did. Having to beat Spaulding, Yoda, and then most likely Justin....mmmm, i don't think so. It was a great season though, and I'm happy with my team's results either way. If I dont win it I hope Justin's Busts do just because hes solid gold

Reminder that if Adam wins, you don't play me. But you'd have to play Hey Fred instead and obviously that's a super tough matchup anyway. But yes, you'll probably have to win three games you're an on-paper underdog in.

Yeah Woods is struggling as both he and I expected, but Akers has more than made up for it so he'll probably come out a little ahead of his projections when you combine them.

In the quarters of my playoffs. Had Pats D tonight. Came out about even on them, that INT return TD called back sucked. Dude had Kupp. Would have been a great night if he didn't catch that stupid TD. But it was a short one thankfully. He still scored 1 less point then he was projected. We are both projected 150 total now. I'm the 3 seed. Should be interesting Sunday.

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

For those keeping track, Jefferson finished the fantasy regular season 4th among WRs, and Robinson 13th.

And to show you how rough RB can be, Henderson finished 22nd there.

What a wild year.

Akers kept on piling up the points last night, so yeah, Spaulding comes out "ahead" on Thursday even after Woods' disappointing game. We've definitely got ourselves a match.

I'll post more interesting tidbits as I notice them, but a big one is James Robinson, a free agent after the draft, finishing as the #4 running back.

EE still finishes 7th despite having half his season kinda destroyed by the Dak injury. Just staying on the field, rebounding a little late, and getting regularly work is enough to be a #1 back in this format, at least this year.

I've read a handful of articles this week that are really hyping Cam Akers as this year's unlikely fantasy playoff hero. I hope they're right, but I'm skeptical.
Skeptical no more!

It would've been nice if he'd gotten me a TD last night instead of Goff calling his own number at the goal line, but I'm not complaining. The emergence of Akers helps offset the loss of McCaffrey, though in a way McCaffrey's injury is doubly disappointing now. With Akers suddenly morphing into a beast, those two could've possibly carried me to a title this year. Akers gets a mouth-watering matchup with the Jets next week.

I might've been better off losing this past weekend since Adam has tougher matchups than TONGO. I'd consider myself the favorite against Adam this week, but I'm still a deserved underdog against the big gorilla. I'm expecting it to be close, however, as long as Keenan Allen doesn't go scorched earth on my ass and Brady throws TDs to people not named Godwin. Maybe kicker and defense can help tilt the scales in my favor. Jason Sanders has been excellent for TONGO, but you can't settle for FGs and expect to beat the Chiefs, so I'm hoping the Fins find themselves in an early deficit and start going for it on 4th downs. And I've got the Seahawks against the Jets, who actively try to lose, so maybe they can get me a defensive TD.

Still don't expect to win, but definitely like my chances more after last night.