The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
HINT FOR TOMORROW'S FILMS:

The picture is a bit too dark, so I can only go by the words from this hint.

My first thought was The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, but that seemed way too obvious, so I tried thinking outside the box a little bit.

Then I thought maybe it's just about reverse aging, or regaining youth, so I thought it could be either Cocoon or maybe Twilight Zone: The Movie because of the "Kick the Can" segment.

But I doubt that either of those movies made the countdown, so I kept thinking. The only other movie that I could think of is probably way off, but at least it has a chance to make the countdown.

I thought maybe it could be Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan because of Genesis, and the way it made Kirk feel young again, and it completely regenerated Spock.

As Carol Marcus said, (at the 1:45 mark in this video), "Let me show you something that will make you feel young as when the world was new."

McCoy: "You okay, Jim? How do you feel?"

Kirk: "Young. I feel young."

The List So Far

100. Brazil (69 points)
99. Suspiria (70 points)
98. Cabaret (71 points)
97. Enter the Dragon (71points)
96. The Searchers (71 points)
95. Ikiru (72 points)
94. Her (73 points)
93. Braveheart (73 points)

Didn't get a list in but I've only seen 3 so far. Enter The Dragon, Her and Braveheart. Bruce Lee was such a bad*ss. Shame he died so young. Her I haven't seen in years. I appreciated it but never cared to revisit it. Braveheart is fun enough but always found a tad overrated, still very entertaining though.

Might check out The Searchers soon. Always love a good Western.

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

So, on the topic of liberties regarding historical films, what's everybody's take? Does the proximity of the event in question factor in? Is it more acceptable as the event or person in question gets further in time?

Depends on how much you twist the facts. I take issue when dictators or genocidal kings are portrayed as benevolent rulers, something that has happened here in India on quite a few occasions.

@Takoma11 raises another valid point, a concern I also share. There are too many people who won't care to actually read about history and take the movie as reality.

You’re the disease, and I’m the cure.
Braveheart is an underrated film tbh, I hear people trashing on it sadly.

• 74 points
  • 4 lists
92. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Director

Michel Gondry, 2004

Starring

Jim Carrey, Kate Winslet, Kirsten Dunst, Mark Ruffalo

• 75 points
  • 4 lists
91. Rosemary's Baby

Director

Roman Polanski, 1968

Starring

Mia Farrow, John Cassavetes, Ruth Gordon, Sidney Blackmer

Welcome to the human race...
Pretty severe drop for Eternal Sunshine there (think it just edges out the drop for Braveheart), plus it's funny to see that it apparently a top 10 favourite for 78 different MoFos but only got four votes (can only assume it's because most of them are not currently active). As for what I actually think of it, it's pretty good and all but I've never truly loved it. The same is true of Rosemary's Baby, though I'd say I prefer that film ever so slightly.

Too late for my guesses, but I doubt Switch and Florence Foster Jenkins were right anyway.

Thankfully, I've seen both Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and Rosemary's Baby. So now I'm up to 3/11 seen.

Eternal Sunshine was in the mix for a spot in the lower half of my list. It missed out, but it remains a fascinating look at a relationship and explores whether it's better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all. Kate Winslet is great in this and it's one of Jim Carrey's best performances. Michel Gondry is able to grab your attention with the visuals, but it's the story and dilemma that resonates.

Rosemary's Baby is a strong thriller/horror with a great lead performance from Mia Farrow. Roman Polanski is able to ramp up the tension to 11 with the story and his direction up until the final reel.

"Rosemary's Baby" is very worthy of a spot on the list, or any list for that matter. I need to revisit it, for its been decades since last viewed. I did not like "Eternal Sunshine..." , like, at all.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

9/11 seen
0/5 on clues
0/25 off list

The alternative clue was probably going to be something like "Seeing things you wish you could forget," but I couldn't resist the Kaufman reference, if only so you'll all wonder even more which clues are hyper-literal and which are connected by theme or filmography or anything else.

Two of my favorites, neither was on my list of twenty-five. Very relieved to see they both made the cut without my votes. Rosemary's Baby finished at #9 on the MoFo '60s List and #7 on the MoFo Horror List while Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind was #2 on the MoFo Millennium List finishing behind only Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring and #27 on the MoFo Sci-Fi List. Rosemary's Baby is my all-time favorite Horror movie, but Horror is my least favorite genre so I didn't make space for it in a Top 25.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

A system of cells interlinked
Two more I have seen, but did not make my list. Neither were in the running, even though I like both films quite a bit.

8/10 seen with 1 film from my list appearing so far.

Never seen Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind, it's just never been one that's particularly called out to me. I might rectify that one day but I doubt I'll be in any sort of rush to do so as I'm not the biggest fan of either Kaufman or Carrey.

Rosemary's Baby is a very nice watch and imo fully deserving of a place on a list such as this.

Seen: 8/10 (Own: 3/10)
My list:  

Faildictions (Eternal vsn 1.0):
90. Das Leben der Anderen (2006)
89. Trois couleurs: Bleu (1993)

Eternal Sunshine already?!
Damn it, I'm really not going to like this countdown.

Absolutely gorgeous movie with a brilliant premise that is executed flawlessly. It's tragic, it's hopeful, it's funny, and for all it's quirks and fantastical elements it never feels artificial to me. It's been a huge favorite of mine for a very long time and was #9 on my ballot.

Here's a review I did a few year back:

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (Michel Gondry, 2004)
Imdb

Date Watched: 10/28/16
Cinema or Home: Home
Reason For Watching: Trying to finalize the order of my next personal top 100
Rewatch: Yes

Possible Spoilers Ahead

Jim Carey gives what I believe is the best performance of his career as Joel Barish - a deeply damaged and painfully shy man reeling from the dissolution of his two-year relationship with Clementine Kruczynski, an impulsive and outspoken woman played by Kate Winslet. After discovering that Clementine has had her memories of him erased and is now dating a younger man, Joel goes to the doctor who did the procedure and demands to have his memories erased as well. As the procedure is being performed on a sedated, sleeping Joel, we are immersed into his memories. We begin with the most recent – distance, bitter fights and resentment, then we progress to a sweet, genuine romance between two messed up people, and then to their fateful meeting.

But it’s not a slow or peaceful progression. Very quickly, Joel decides he doesn’t want the procedure anymore, but is powerless to compel his body to voice his objections and make it stop. So instead he drags Clementine from one memory to the next, desperately fleeing the technology that will take away what he has left of the only thing that brought him any real happiness.

However, the thing that really makes the movie to me is what happens when Joel wakes. When his mind compels him to act on what he believes is merely impulse and he and Clementine are brought together for what they think is the first time only to discover the truth the next morning when each receives a mysterious package.

Without a doubt, this is one the most beautiful films I’ve ever seen – not just in the way it looks, but in the story it has to tell and in the way it perfectly captures the bittersweet emotions of its characters. Though it toes the line of fantasy, this is a film that is deeply rooted in reality and in a genuine understanding of what it is to be human.

I haven't seen Rosemary's Baby.

My Ballot:
5. Her (#94)
9. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (#92)
25. Clay Pigeons (One-Pointers)

Well, I'm pleased I can now remove the tumbleweed from my list, but Eternal Sunshine is waaaaay too low for my liking and a hell of a lot lower than I was expecting, too. Oh well, at least it's here.

I saw it for the first time when I was about 12 or 13. I'd naively picked it up at Blockbuster thinking a typical Jim Carrey comedy was in store (Ace Ventura being probably my favourite movie at that point)... and I was absolutely miffed. I don't even remember particularly liking or not liking it, I just wondered what on earth I was watching and why Jim wasn't being birthed by a robotic camel or something.

I saw it again, properly, when I was 19 or 20 and absolutely adored it and do to this day. It's so wonderfully dreamlike, surreal yet with so much truth, heartfelt and ultimately incredibly moving.

It was #4 on my list.

Skepsis' List  

The alternative clue was probably going to be something like "Seeing things you wish you could forget," but I couldn't resist the Kaufman reference, if only so you'll all wonder even more which clues are hyper-literal and which are connected by theme or filmography or anything else.
I've been completely noobed on the clues thus far, and I like that.

Two of my favorites, neither was on my list of twenty-five. Very relieved to see they both made the cut without my votes. Rosemary's Baby finished at #9 on the MoFo '60s List while Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind was #2 on the MoFo Millennium List only finishing behind the unfairly melded Lord of the Rings trilogy.
LOTR wasn't combined for the millennium list, was it? Only for the 2010 top 100. But agreed it was unfair then.