The MoFo Top 100 of the 1940's

→ in
Tools    

I don't know for all of you guyz, but in preparation of making my list I rewatched and watched quite a bit of 40's film and I must say that I am a bit tired of film noir, most then 3/4 of the films I've seen are film noir haha. Am I the only one who noticed that?
I adore Film Noir. It and Westerns are my two favorite genres.

That being said, I have eight Noirs (depending on how picky one wants to be with the definition) and only two Westerns. So if 75% of what anyone watched in preparation for this were Noirs, that's really on you. There are so many great movies of every genre in the '40s, including some of the most brilliant and still hysterical comedies ever made (I have six comedies).

But, hey, if the list is Noir heavy (and it is sure to be Hitchcock heavy again, too), that is A-OK as far as I am concerned.

So no, I am not a bit tired of Film Noir. Never.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I have six Noirs, but i'm being kinda strict so some others may be seen as Noirs. Four Westerns and three Hitch films. Oh and only one Comedy, there's others that could be counted as Comedies though i suppose.

I don't know for all of you guyz, but in preparation of making my list I rewatched and watched quite a bit of 40's film and I must say that I am a bit tired of film noir, most then 3/4 of the films I've seen are film noir haha. Am I the only one who noticed that?
Look at the Noirs list. Half of them are from the 40's. I watched more Noirs than anything. I didn't care for them before, but now I love them.

I can't say noir is my fave genre. Unless it's a dark comedy. That's right up there with sc-fi, and romance.

I just realized I have 21 dramas! Two fantasies, one crime, one musical.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
That is too bad if you ended up watching a majority of noir when there are so many great films that you may have missed in other genres.

For me, noir is an iffy genre. There are the ones that I think really stand out, and that I really like, but there are an awful lot of them that I think the stories could just run right into the other.

As to whether or not this list is noir heavy, well, I can't comment on that. But I will say that I think this will be a very good list of films.

Anyway, we have received 3 more lists from the samoan lawyer, Dannii and donniedarko. That now takes the total to 32.

That is too bad if you ended up watching a majority of noir when there are so many great films that you may have missed in other genres.

For me, noir is an iffy genre. There are the ones that I think really stand out, and that I really like, but there are an awful lot of them that I think the stories could just run right into the other.

As to whether or not this list is noir heavy, well, I can't comment on that. But I will say that I think this will be a very good list of films.

Anyway, we have received 3 more lists from the samoan lawyer, Dannii and donniedarko. That now takes the total to 32.
It may sound ridiculous, but my only real regret is that picked the wrong film with a certain actress who kicked off an entire subgenre, and who's giving me some positve sexual vibes right now.

I have only very few noirs, really. I agree what you said about it, my Silent Lady.

Guess i'm even deader; i've still not watched Ambersons . Will soon though, i've seen Kane and Lady From Shanghai from his 40's stuff.
Shanghai was hanging onto my bottom three for quite a while. Solid flick.

I'll just actually post my list here, but only genre-wise, so I'm not giving anything away still.

1. Adventure, Drama , Mystery
2. Drama
3. Comedy, crime
4. Mystery, drama, noir
5. Drama
6. Drama, Fantasy, Horror
7. Drama, romance
8. Biography, drama, history
9. Fantasy, horror, thriller
10. Action, adventure, drama
11. Drama, romance
12. Drama, Family