The MoFo Top 100 of the Fifties: The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
An Affair To Remember might be the best filmed version of the story, but it's still a so-so McCarey film for me. I feel nothing emotionally, and I don't see anything special in the visuals, no matter how charming Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr (two of my fave actors) are. Sorry to the fans for my being a Grinch. I like La Strada a bit more.

La Strada (Federico Fellini, 1954)

Fellini's first international hit is a simple, powerful, neorealstic parable which shows him stretching his neorealist roots further than I Vitteloni. He focuses on three characters, each who seems to represent a different side of humanity, in a road trip movie where often the simplest action or reaction draws a direct connection with the audience. Gelsomina (Fellini's wife Giulietta Masina) is the plain, simple, innocent sister of a woman who left with the brutish traveling strongman Zampanò (Anthony Quinn) years before. Now that the sister has died (under unexplained circumstances), Zampanò returns to pay the poor mother 10,000 lira to use Gelsomina as his new assistant. Thus, Gelsomina becomes a possession for the strongman to use in whatever way he sees fit, including sexually.

The thing is that the strongman only takes and never gives. He basically thinks about making money, eating, drinking, and "lovemaking", so if that means that he finds another woman he's attracted to, he'll just dump Gelsomina on the street and take off with the other woman for the rest of the night on his outsized motorcycle which includes something akin to a small truck bed behind it. Eventually, an antagonist of Zampanò's, "The Fool" (Richard Basehart), turns up. He's dexterous, both in the body and the brain, but he's also a fatalist who's learned to love life while he can, but he loves it in the opposite way of Zampanò. Instead of doing the same tired act over and over, like the Strongman, The Fool is unpredictable, in not only the way he performs his high wire act, but also in the way he treats most people charitably, except for the Strongman. The Fool never misses a chance to bust Zampanò's balls.

While there's certainly more to discuss, I don't feel the need at this time to delve further into the plot, disect the characters, analyze the visuals, etc. The one thing I will mention is that Nino Rota's score, with its multiple themes, is an inviting entryway into the film's realistic, yet still magical, world.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I was surprised to see An Affair to Remember so high up. Haven't seen it.

La Strada is mid range Fellini for me. I prefer La Dolce Vita and I Vitelline. But it's better than 8 1/2 for me.

An Affair To Remember might be the best filmed version of the story, but it's still a so-so McCarey film for me. I feel nothing emotionally, and I don't see anything special in the visuals, no matter how charming Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr (two of my fave actors) are. Sorry to the fans for my being a Grinch. I like La Strada a bit more.
Yeah, i remember you saying you aren't a big fan. The conversation after that post i posted is actually pretty funny. I was accused of being in the auteur-mafia with Daniel and Bluedeed for liking it . Best thing is i don't even think i had heard of Leo McCarey at the time

Im At 18/60 Seen

List 6/25

Ofcourse I have likely seen other 50s movies they just may not have hit the 100 in the countdown yet or they just never made the countdown of 100 50 films at all.
I have seen an Affair To Remember its just not on my list of 25.

Bingo! again....An Affair to Remember was #11 on my list. Cary Grant is the man! I love that film, especially as part of it takes place on a sea cruise. I really like the earlier version as well, Love Affair (1939), well when we get to the Top 100 1930s decade countdown, you guys should check that one out.

I seen La Strada recently and really liked that one as well. It wasn't on my list but would have been, if I had more room.

Just like CR, East of Eden was my #8. I love this film and think it's James Dean's best performance. His attempt to give money to his father, played by Raymond Massey, is heart-rending and Dean never fails to put a lump in my throat, especially in that scene. And when I first saw the film as a kid, I fell for Julie Harris, especially in the scene on the Ferris Wheel. I wish it had made it to the Top Ten.

I love Ace in the Hole and am a bit sentimental about it as it was one of my late Dad's favorite movies. Yet, I still didn't put it on my list.

I know An Affair to Remember is considered by some to be a "chick flick" i.e. the conversation in Sleepless in Seattle but any movie with Cary Grant, at least for me, is worth watching. Didn't make my list but it's a fine flick.

Have yet to see La Strada but want to. Giulietta Masina's expressive face that I've seen in trailers and clips makes me look forward to the movie.

So, for me so far, it's:
#6 Shane (64)
#8 East of Eden (43)
#12 The Big Country (66)
#18 The Quiet Man 51

Only 1 for that batch of 10.

Seen: 28/60

My List: 5/25
9. Wages of Fear (50)
11. Nights of Cabiria (71)
12. Tokyo Twilight (91)
18. Rififi (53)
19. Hiroshima, Mon Amour (75)

Looks like I was way too cocky when I said I'd end up in the 20s. I may struggle to hit 10.

Has their ever been a poll where someone had all 25 of their films in the top 100?

East of Eden was my #1 movie.

It was also Miss Vicky's, I found out.

Has their ever been a poll where someone had all 25 of their films in the top 100?
Yeah a few times. I remember during the 70s Countdown Holden said that a few think it was five members had all of their 25 make the countdown. I'm sure it has happened other times as well.

I had La Strada at #18. Of the movies I watched for the countdown I believe La Strada is just one of two to make my list. (The other one won't make the countdown.) I'm a very big fan of Cary Grant, but I really don't care for An Affair to Remember.

My List:

6. Pickup on South Street (#72)
8. Mon Oncle (#67)
12. Wages of Fear (#50)
13. From Here to Eternity (#76)
18. La Strada (#41)
19. The Killing (#52)
21. Room at the Top (#73)
23. Les Diaboliques (#57)

La Strada is one film that I wish I had gotten to for this countdown.

I have fond memories of watching An Affair to Remember as a kid with my mom. She let me try some pink champagne after I saw Terry order some on the ship. I've bought a bottle every New Year since I was 21. It was #1 on my list. Happy to see it make the top 50!

Care for some gopher?
La strada is a fantastic movie and i absolutely loved Giulietta Masina in this. It made my list at #7.

List:
7. La strada
10. Rififi
20. From Here to Eternity
23. Stalag 17

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I'm playing catch-up here, so in short, of the last six movies revealed, I've seen all six, but only one was on my list.

An Affair to Remember was #2 on my list. I hoped that it would have been higher on the countdown, but I'm glad to see that it made the top half of the list.

I considered East of Eden for my list, but it just didn't make the final cuts.

I like The Lady and The Tramp, Ace in the Hole and La Strada, but they were never really considered for my list.

I watched Ordet for one of the HoFs here, but I didn't like it.

I've seen 47 of 60 movies.

My List:
2. An Affair to Remember (1957)
4. Oklahoma! (1955)

Originally Posted by Guaporense
That was quite meh stuff, well made but boring. Although I liked that it referenced the Brazilian national team (selecao).
Agreed. Best part is Oasis.