The MoFo Top 100 of the Fifties: The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I'm not even sure if i've seen it i'd just be surprised if it made it this high.
Don't be. Godzilla (Gojira) shouldn't miss the countdown.

Anyway, I had The Killing at #19.

My List:

6. Pickup on South Street (#72)
8. Mon Oncle (#67)
13. From Here to Eternity (#76)
19. The Killing (#52)
21. Room at the Top (#73)
23. Les Diaboliques (#57)

I believe only three of my films have no chance of making it at this point, including my one-pointer.

*smacks forehead* Godzillaaaaa coulda picked that.

My list so far with, for the first time, my predictions of what will happen to the rest:
1. Top 10
2. Top 10
3. Top 5
4. Top 50
5. Top 5
6. Floating Weeds (#78)
7. Top 20
8. Probably won't make it
9. Tokyo Twilight (#91)
10. Probably won't make it
11. Probably won't make it
12. The Killing (#52)
13. Probably won't make it
14. Top 50
15. Top 20
16. Forbidden Planet (#55)
17. Top 20
18. Top 50
19. Top 10
20. Top 5
21. Top 50
22. Top 20
23. May or may not make it
24. Probably won't make it
25. Probably a one-pointer

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
The Killing is Kubrick's first major film. I like it but it wasn't on my list.
The Killing (Stanley Kubrick, 1956)
- Early Kubrick noir thriller provides juicy roles for plenty of Hollywood icons as well as his playing around with timelines and narratives four decades before Pulp Fiction. Much of it remains fresh and raw today.
On the other hand, The Quiet Man is one of my all-time favorite films - I had it at #2.

The Quiet Man (John Ford, 1952)

I used to watch this film every St. Patrick's Day, and yes, I understand that several people believe it to be a cliched, insulting concept of Ireland and Irish people. Me? Yes, almost every student I ever have asks me if I'm Irish, but no matter what the truth is, I love this film. It's a wonderful St. Paddy's Day flick but it's also an equally-awesome Valentine's Day film. My bottom line is that this is John Wayne's greatest romance, greatest comedy, greatest performance and greatest movie all rolled into one. There are scenes in this film where Wayne seems to be living a spiritual life which is so strong that we cannot see beyond the heartfelt ache in his eyes to yell out to him to try to help him in his seemingly-simple quest to realize his best in the form of the most-perfect future imaginable for him and his woman of choice, Mary Kate (Maureen O'Hara).

I know people who do not realize that this is a comedy, let alone one of the the most-outrageous, laugh-out-loud comedies ever made. The cast is beyond perfection. The way in which Mary Kate's brother (Victor McLaglen) mangles the English language is uproarious. ("He'll regret it to his dying day, if ever he lives that long." "He crept up behind my back to steal her from in front of my nose.") He and Mary Kate have an obvious history and it doesn't take long for that "Quiet, peace-loving" John Wayne to develop one with Squire Red Will Danaher too. The mystery of who the John Wayne character is really works in the context of the film too and shows why he's afraid to fight anybody anymore, at least at full force.

The other supporting characters contribute mightily to the spirit of the film as well as its specifics. Barry Fitzgerald is incredible as the thirsty old man who picks up Sean Thornton from the train station and spends most of the flick by his side. Arthur Shields (Barry Fitzgerald's brother) plays the Protestant vicar who alone knows Sean's secret before the film's climax, and Ward Bond is excellent as the Priest who takes a liking to Sean and helps him get all that he wants. Mildred Natwick is wonderful as the "best man in Innisfree" who cannot wait to see how the titanic battle between Dannaher and Thornton plays out. Victor Young composed one of his most-beautiful musical scores and the luxurious color photography won an Oscar. If you haven't seen this wonderful movie before, you need to set aside some time long before next St. Paddy's Day to just relax and enjoy yourself.

The Quiet Man contains one of my favorite endings of all time. I often wonder though if it was ever actually written down into script form or if John Ford just came up with the idea to film the ending on location at the spur of the moment utilizing the enormous cast. Whatever the truth is, the ending always brings tears and an enormous smile to my face as the bagpipes swell. What does anybody else think about the ending; at least if you understand what I'm talking about? This ending seems almost theatrical in nature in the way it allows the cast something resembling a curtain call at the end.
My List
2. The Quiet Man (#51)
4. Room at the Top (#73)
8. The Caine Mutiny (#80)
14. People Will Talk (#88)
19. Night and Fog (#54)
21. Oklahoma! (#97)
24. The Big Country (#66)

Wow, I was sure that The Quiet Man would make the top 25. I had it at #18 on my list. Love this movie.
That's three of mine in the top 50, with:
Shane 6/64
The Country 12/66
The Quiet Man 18/51

Hoping for a better showing in the remaining countdown. Still, great list, great decade. And yes, even though I didn't include it on my list, the original Gojira (Godzilla without Raymond Burr) definitely deserves a slot on the list.

How has the countdown gone for the host so far?

I'd be lying if I said it wasn't stressful. But we are 50% of the way there and I feel like I'm doing what I can to provide a fun countdown! Sorry if I have let anybody down!
Raul you're rocking this! I'm really enjoying the countdown and you're doing a great job...and I bet it can be stressful. I guess if I ever do one of these I'll found out just how stressful

BTW the 100-51: A Rauldc Analysis, very cool idea for a post, good read! I liked the 'inside take' of your post as only a host can do.

Oh....I've seen both The Quiet Man and The Killing, two awesome films, but not on my list.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
100. Marty -

99. House of Wax -

98. The Cranes are Flying -
- 21th
97. Oklahoma -

96. The Blob -

95. Some Came Running -

94. Caged -

93. Human Condition Part 1 -

92. Roman Holiday -

91. Tokyo Twilight -
- 4th
90. The Music Room -

89. Duck Amuck -

88. People Will Talk - NOT SEEN
87. Creature from the Black Lagoon -

86. To Catch a Thief -

85. Bigger than Life -

84. The African Queen -

83. A Place in the Sun - NOT SEEN
82. Written on the Wind -

81. Johnny Guitar -

80. Caine Mutiny - NOT SEEN
79. Horror of Dracula -

78. Floating Weeds -
- 5th
77. Giant - NOT SEEN
76. From Here to Eternity - NOT SEEN
75. Hiroshima Mon Amour -
- 11th
74. Seven Year Itch - NOT SEEN
73. Room at the Top -

72. Pickup on South Street - NOT SEEN
71. Nights of Cabiria -

70. A Man Escaped -

69. Hidden Fortress -

68. Ugetsu -
- 19th
67. Mon Oncle -

66. The Big Country - NOT SEEN
65. The Ladykillers - NOT SEEN
64. Shane - NOT SEEN
63. Kiss Me Deadly - NOT SEEN
62. Cat on a Hot Tin Roof - NOT SEEN
61. Umberto D -
- 3rd
60. Cinderella - NOT SEEN
59. Peter Pan - NOT SEEN
58. Sleeping Beauty - NOT SEEN
57. Les Diaboliques -

56. Smiles of a Summer Night - NOT SEEN
55. Forbidden Planet -

54. Night and Fog -

53. Rififi -

52. The Killing -

51. The Quiet Man - NOT SEEN

Seen: 32/49
List: 6/49

Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Seen: 32/49
List: 6/49
Psst...it's 50. Fifty movies have been revealed. I think I've seen about the same number as you, maybe a couple more, but I've got at least five more lined up to watch.

Had The Killing at #19 on my list. Would write more but I'm pretty drunk homies. Great list so far! First time you really can't tell whats to come

My List:
5.Les Diaboliques
8. People Will Talk
11. Duck Amuck
19. The Klilling
23. The Cranes are Flying
25. Kiss me Deadly

Forgot to include
Night and Fog

Had The Killing at #19 on my list. Would write more but I'm pretty drunk homies. Great list so far! First time you really can't tell whats to come

My List:
5.Les Diaboliques
8. People Will Talk
11. Duck Amuck
19. The Klilling
23. The Cranes are Flying
25. Kiss me Deadly

Forgot to include
Night and Fog
I see only one spelling error in your post. You are not drunk enough. TAKE ANOTHER SHOT!

If you need a good drunk MoFo post here's a PM I sent to Yoda months ago when the Bengals were about to play the Steelers in the playoffs

Originally Posted by Yoda

Football makes everyone crazy.

Originally Posted by donniedarko

I no not remember this

Originally Posted by Yoda
WE DEY. WE DEY GUN BEAT YINZ.

Originally Posted by donniedarko
hey ypda

its danbiel aka donniedarko

WHO DEY

WHO DEY

WHO DEY

pleasre bring back powder finger and lets bring the old days of moffo. im sure u miss it too.

Good night bub

I love chewing tobbaco

who dey'

bring back PF'

donnie

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I think I saw Les Diaboliques, but I'm not sure. Is there a scene with a dead body in a dirty swimming pool? (I think the dead body disappears from the pool if I remember correctly.) If that's the right movie, then I saw it, but it was quite a while ago, and I don't remember it very well, so I never even considered it for my list.
Yes, you're thinking of the right movie.

Thank you.