The MoFo Top 100 of the Fifties: The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I love Pickup on South Street. . . Had it at number 6 on my list.

My List:

6. Pickup on South Street (#72)
13. From Here to Eternity (#76)
21. Room at the Top (#73)

Saw both.

Really liked Pickup on South Street and Nights of Cabiria even made my list. It was my #12. I believe I saw it while I was in Italy. Fantastic film!

I wrote a weird free-form review of Nights of Cabiria that only makes sense if you've actually seen the film (so don't read it if you haven't, because it's also not spoiler-free). It's just an unstructured summation of my observations, thoughts and feelings about this rich film immediately after I watched it.

Nights of Cabiria (1957)

~~SPOILERS AHEAD!~~

What a wonderful film this is! I could go on and on about Fellini's virtuosic visual storytelling or Giulietta Masina's fantastic acting performance in this heart-whole piece of stunning cinema, but these are not the reasons why I wanted to write this short "free-form" review. I mainly want to talk about the film's content and especially the meaning and implications of the film's brilliant ending. I'm just going to write "from the heart" a little bit. Some sentences and words. No structure. My apologies to everyone who expected something decent!

-------------------

A prostitute gets robbed by her boyfriend. It's not the first time she's betrayed by someone who supposedly loves her.

Her angry, cynical and insecure self takes over.
She dances on the street.

A movie star picks her up. This must be a dream. It turns out to be one of the many nightmares of reality... She's not someone's goal. She's an object of pleasure that can be tossed away in an instant. She's merely a distraction. She's not alive.

Can faith save her? Is there someone there to guard and guide her? She cries. Has something changed? She doesn't feel it. Nothing happens.
How dare they sell us false hope! How dare they believe!

A man feeds the homeless. Is there pure goodness in the world? He's the proof.

She's on a vaudeville stage. Hypnotized. She shares her inner feelings. She's like the rest of us. All of us. Longing for someone. Longing for romance. Warmth.

Oscar saw her true self. He saw something special. He gets her. They are the same. They should be together!

Cabiria leaves and sells everything for love. She's going to marry. She finally made it. Oscar doesn't even care about her past. It's almost too good to be true.
It is.

Everything turned out to be deception. One big disillusion. He doesn't love her.

A prostitute gets robbed by her boyfriend. It's not the first time she's betrayed by someone who supposedly loves her.

If there's one thing we've learned from history, it is that we haven't learned anything from it.

"KILL ME!"

Why would someone ever want to live the life she's living? Isn't the one true happiness in life to love and be loved?

Good questions. Painful questions. Bad questions. If there isn't faith and if there isn't love, then what gives us the strength to go on? What's the point? None.

Darkness. Sadness. Torn.

Cabiria gets up. Laughing humans suddenly enter the frame. Dancing teenagers. Happiness around her.

Her face. One beautiful tear and ... a smile.

What makes her smile? Hasn't she lost everything? Isn't it over?

Tragedy. Merciless tragedy.

But also a desperate and hopeful smile.

The lack of answers is frustrating and satisfying.

Life above death? Pain above death?

Why? Why not?

-------------------

Share your thoughts on this magnificent film!

Seen Pickup on South Street, great film, really cool. I think I watched it in one of the Noir HOFs on here I was in ages ago, maybe Citizen Rules nominated? I don't think I was very active at the time or posted much, but I really enjoyed it. In terms of style and direction I think its great and I want/need to watch more Fuller films.

Seen Pickup on South Street, great film, really cool. I think I watched it in one of the Noir HOFs on here I was in ages ago, maybe Citizen Rules nominated? I don't think I was very active at the time or posted much, but I really enjoyed it. In terms of style and direction I think its great and I want/need to watch more Fuller films.
Yup that was my nomination for the first Noir Hof. Glad you liked it. In an interview with Sam Fueller, he said that unlike some other directors who would tightly control the acting in the shot, he liked to shoot organic and take his directing cues from the actors performance and change the directing based on how the scene was developing. Which I though was pretty cool.

My favorite Fuller films after Pickup on South Street would be
The Naked Kiss (1964)

and these aren't bad either:
Forty Guns (1957)
House of Bamboo (1955)

I doubt they will show up here, though.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
I didn't know that, thanks for posting it! Which one was Michael Chekhov in Spellbound? The old retired professor?
Exactly! He rarely did cinema. But he's considered one of the most important theatre actor of the XX century, together with Stanislavsky and Grotovsky!

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Not two of my faves of the decade, but two which I've seen quite a few times and definitely knew they'd be on here. Check out this informative video where Fuller discusses a few parts of the film very specifically.

Here's a two-minute clip from Cabiria which gives you a brief idea of the character's luck with men and life.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I watched Pickup on South Street for the first Film Noir HoF, and I liked it a lot. It was one of my favorite movies in that HoF, and I strongly considered it for this list, but it didn't make my final list.

I haven't seen Nights of Cabiria.

Care for some gopher?
Haven't seen Pickup on South Street. Glad, that Nights of Cabiria made it. I liked it quite a bit and Giulietta Masina is such a great actress. Wasn't on my list, though.

2 very good films, Pickup on South Street is a very solid noir, I wouldn't say it's one of my favorite noirs, among 50 films I prefer films like The Asphalt Jungle, Night and The City, Sweet Smell of Success, The Big Heat or Touch of Evil (I don't say if they are or not on my list, just that I prefer them to Pickup on South Street). Still I enjoyed the film and would suggest it to someone who enjoy film noir.

I had Nights of Cabiria at #23, fantastic film, my second favorite Fellini after La Dolce Vita. Very raw film that goes through the emotions of this poor women that gets exploited again and again. I'd suggest the Bob Fosse musical remake called Sweet Charity with Shirley Maclaine which I think is just as good.The reason why I find these films effective is just that it shows the hardship of a human being and how hard and hopeless it is for her, but still she keeps on going.

I like Pickup On South Street but it wasn't on my list. Still hoping to get to Nights Of Cabiria at some point as I've never seen it but do love the Fosse remake with Shirley.

No more predictions from me for a while as I'm obviously just too darn good at it and I don't want to spoil the suspense for others

Great list so far. You can always count on this forum to provide a countdown list with a good balance between Hollywood and the mainstream, and lesser known and international films. I've seen all but a few - for some reason I haven't watched Room at the Top yet, even though it seems like the type of film I would have crossed off years ago. A couple from my list have appeared so far.

Keep up the good work, raul! You're running a fine contest. Sorry I haven't been around to provide more commentary, been busy but I enjoy reading what you guys have been posting.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

I got another watch in recently, this time it was for The Cranes Are Flying. I was really impressed with this film, so much so, that I resurrected my Cinema Reviews thread just to post a full length review of it!

Hear is an except from it, though that's mainly the intro (I can't quote this massive thing in here or I'll take up the entire page ). So follow the quote to read the review and my rating for it.

— MOVIEMEDITATION PRESENTS —
Летят журавли

THE CRANES ARE FLYING

Cranes like ships, sailing up in the sky,
White ones and grey ones, with long beaks, they fly...

The theme of war is a tough one to crack on the cinema screen, regularly resulting in a depiction that is dramatically driven by the subjective and often political standpoint of a director to the point of an emotional manipulation and social overruling. Presenting a story of war comes prepacked with obvious emotions, but dealing with such a strong subject often artificially articulates the plot in which one opinion becomes too strong to be merely satirical or sharp social commentary – instead it becomes purely a personal practice of the medium where the film falls to the ground because of being generated almost solely from a subjective mind or a subjective matter. Sometimes films like that can be really intriguing if the director presents his personal point of view in such a perfect way, that even if the audience is miles apart from what the director thinks and feels, we are still able to either understand or be overwhelmed by what we see on screen. Trying to find the right path to walk for a war film is frequently a war in itself concerning serious, satirical, cinematic, collective and self-absorbed decisions and the balance in between all those elements.

*This review contains spoilers*

‘The Cranes Are Flying’ begins in the midst of a beautiful romance between two young people, Boris and Veronika, who both love each other like there is no tomorrow. Even despite of setting up the story well enough, everything felt a little too forward, fast paced, deliberately dreamy and almost delusionally dandy, in my opinion. I feared this film would be one of those older films that feels too on the nose in terms of emotions and storytelling – thankfully though, that was not the case at all. In a way, this opening does create......

Which one from the countdown (so far) should I watch next?