Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I say ignore them, and have your own opinions, surely they'll be films you'll like soon, if anything you need to improve your ability of picking films to watch, did you expect to dislike these films going in to them?

There seems to be a bunch of people lately who only post when they are sh*tting on movies. I mean not everybody is going to like the same stuff but at some point it just looks like you want a reaction. As well as him there's that Wiggy Wonka guy and Jacko or whatever.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Husbands - 7/10

This is still hard to watch. I don't think there was a movie close to this before it's time, and haven't seen one since. Very obnoxious, awkward, moving, bleak.. There are great moments of reflection, a few great exchanges between friends, but not enough. I really wish they would have had a few scenes with Stewart, to feel the loss more. Pictures weren't enough to feel for him.

Well if they're doing it to get a reaction its working, don't understand people getting so offended and resorting to insults and bad language even if they were. The last posters list of favourite films was cool, it could just be a coincidence.

Well if they're doing it to get a reaction its working, don't understand people getting so offended and resorting to insults and bad language even if they were. The last posters list of favourite films was cool, it could just be a coincidence.
Yeah, i did neither of those. I agree it could be with him definitely. Doubt it is with the other two though they've been here a while and i've never seen either of them say anything positive about a movie.

Carrie (1976). I was pretty disappointed by this movie. As a drama, it works. As a horror, it certainly does not. It takes a while for this movie to actually get interesting but once the 2nd act comes around, it was actually really good. I relate to Carrie a lot and therefore cared about her so that whole 2nd act was really entertaining and well done. But the 3rd act was a real let down, 3 minutes of chaos that was pretty mild. I will admit, the 3rd act had some really creepy imagery and it ended on a haunting note. But overall, this movie was pretty bland, unimpressive, safe, unengaging and of it's time. I also hated the score in this film. Not only are some parts a CLEAR copy of Psycho, but the music is so oddly placed and so out of tone it was really bad. But, I did enjoy the 2nd act, the performances blew me away and there is some genuinely creepy imagery as well as a relatable, enjoyable and watchable story. That makes a pretty good drama but a horrible horror film (which is it's genre wherever you look) especially since I did not even get the chills or even a sense of dread or horror until the last 10 minutes. 6/10

The Exorcist (1973) Pretty much the same argument as ^ except it had mediocre performances, no interesting characters, no attempt to hold onto tension, so-bad-it's-funny moments throughout, poor pacing and no horror. At all. 4/10

This week has been disappointing for me with horror films.

As promised, my reaction, in spoiler tags:

WARNING: spoilers below
I really liked it as well. On the Films That Made You Jump thread lynchian mentioned the scene with the cupboard and I decided I didn't want to be spoiled properly so I bought it and watched it. This is my reply to lynchian from a few days ago:

"Thanks again for mentioning this film – I watched it tonight and really enjoyed it.

Given your original post I became a closet-watcher for most of the film , and the bit you refer to certainly does pack a punch. The shock that I didn't expect was Jim Norton's 'rotting' proto-ghost appearing in the car, and the hissing noise he makes certainly makes it extra horrific. As a Father Ted fan I was pleased to see his name on the cast list along with the other three actors, all of whom I like very much. It's really Ciarán Hinds' film I think; he was outstanding.

It was very interesting for me that Aidan Quinn was involved as a few months back I saw him in the 1995 film Haunted, which also involves spiritualism, and is excellent. I had quite recently read Arthur Conan Doyle's story The Land of Mist, which I found very moving, particularly knowing Doyle's personal circumstances, and that film tied into those emotions as well.

I would also say that if anyone liked The Eclipse they should have a look at The Daisy Chain."

I hadn't heard of the film at all but knowing Hinds, Hjejle and Quinn, plus the subject matter I thought it would be good and it was. I arrived at 7/10 due to a few niggles.

I found the music sometimes appropriate but in other moments not quite as fitting for what was going on; even too much in some cases. Another complaint is the amount of uses of "****ing". It seemed odd to me that people who'd just met would wander round coming out with this sort of thing in casual conversation, and it also has the effect of merging all the characters into one writing voice. I'm not sure how successful Aidan Quinn was in his role actually but he certainly put over the dysfunctional nature of the character very well. Finally I found the film ended too soon and was miffed that there wasn't more to it.

On the really positive side, Jim Norton's part was short but extremely emotive and thought provoking – of course when I see him as the ghost in future I'm always going to think 'it's Bishop Brennan doing Father Jack'. As I mentioned above I was really impressed with Ciarán Hinds. I knew he was good but here I think it's the best I've seen him. The suicide scene, which reminds me of a scene in another film I won't mention due to spoilers, was also a really effective shock. In fact the idea of ghostly happenings predating the death of a character reminds me of another film which, again, I can't mention for fear of ruining the surprise!

I thought it was clever to leave the film so long before the first clear apparition as well. The idea of Michael seeing the ghost only in half-light when he's on the stairs was good, as it gave the sense it could have been a trick of the light. The subsequent visions are all very well done and in a funny way the appearance of Michael's wife is actually the most frightening. It struck me that there was something sinister about the lingering shots of the family photos even in the early scenes and I don't know whether that was intentional. You're sort of sitting there thinking "is that really his wife?" The fact that it is and she's appeared to give him support is a very emotional scene and reminiscent of The Land of Mist and another film that shall not be named.

This is certainly something I'm going to be watching again. One of the things I'm trying to work out is why there's a brief shot of Michael's daughter looking very strange and almost ghost-like that never actually leads anywhere.

And I do see a similarity with The Daisy Chain as I said above. It's very disturbing at times and a good modern horror idea. I'd also say Samantha Morton's performance is comparable to Ciarán Hinds in The Eclipse, so well worth a look.

Excellent review, you should do this more often. I've never heard of The Daisy Chain, but I'll be sure to give it a gander soon.

Films and films
Eternal Sunshine of the spotless mind Directed By Michel Gondry, Screenplay by Charlie Kaufman ...7.5/ 10
watched it for the second time,

Mustang by Deniz Gamze Ergüven

7/10 .. good movie

I don't know what other movies are Hammer Horrors movies, but if they're similar to this one, I'd be willing to give them a chance. My problem with horror is that there's usually too much blood and gore, but this movie was more about the story than about the gore.
I've seen a fair number of the Hammer movies and they're pretty similar from the late '50s through mid/late '60s. By the end of the 60s, they go trashy. (lesbo vampires draining the blood of virgins and that type of stuff) It's hard to think of what film is the goriest - they feel like fun, escapist b-movies more than anything.

It almost felt more like a Sherlock Holmes or a Jack the Ripper story than like a Dracula story.
Tarkin and Dooku made a Hammer Sherlock flick around the same time as Drac if you're into the mystery thing. There's also some thriller/mystery stuff in the 60s. (Scream of Fear is probably the best)

Death Weekend aka The House By the Lake (1976)

-

A wealthy sleazy dentist takes a model to his lake house to score, but they run into 4 thugs on the way. The thugs find out where the house is, and that spells trouble for the couple. This movie reminded me just a tad of Straw Dogs and I Spit on Your Grave, except it's not as good as the former or as exploitive as the latter. It's got that great 70's style that many of us love, a strong female character, and a formidable villain. Surprisingly, it's not brutally violent, but it makes up for it with plenty of terror and menace. It's low budget with modest talent, but it's tightly made with a solid effort from the cast. If the climax had been mind blowing rather than just satisfying, this could have been a significant personal favorite.

Master of My Domain
Iron Man 3
+

Much better than Iron Man 2. It's slow to start, picks up when Stark goes off on his own, then gets tedious again with very long over the top action scenes. Robert Downey Junior as Tony Stark is still very good and the best bits are him interacting with other people he meets. I did laugh out loud a few times.
Think I've said this before, but Iron Man 3 is the best in the series. I agree about the film's quality taking a backseat for the obligatory final action sequences.

Suspiria -

Argento presents beautiful colours and nothing more. One could only have hoped for a great script to accompany the technical aspect behind this horror wreck.

Nightmare on Elm Street -

The only interesting film in the series and it still manages to be fright-less
so you don't like The Shining, Suspiria and A Nighmare On Elm Street... I think your problem is that you don't like horror at all man because those movies are masterpiece

Master of My Domain
I've seen more films than you have, I can guarantee that. .
You can't guarantee that, just like you can't guarantee that MM is an a-hole because has more tolerance for a variety of films.

Also, like Daniel said, there's a simple solution: stop watching horror films. Do research and find films you might enjoy. There's a great noir named In a Lonely Place, I think you'll like it.

You can't guarantee that, just like you can't guarantee that MM is an a-hole because has more tolerance for a variety of films.

Also, like Daniel said, there's a simple solution: stop watching horror film. There's a great noir named In a Lonely Place, I think you'll like it.
More tolerance? Why are people getting bent out of shape here? I'm sorry, let me follow the flock and heap praise on films because others love them. Come on people.

Yeah, he is an a-hole.

Horror is not the issue.

Great horror films:

The Evil Dead
The Thing
Alien
Psycho
Halloween
Rosemary's Baby
The Exorcist

The list goes on and on.

Those films, are not good...in my opinion. People need to chill. It amazes me how people are trying to tell me I'm wrong here.

"You need to stop watching horror"

"You're narrow-minded"

"You know ZERO about cinema"

"You're uneducated"

Great community here.

Hey Redfoot, welcome to MoFo!

I don't have a problem if you hate my favorite movies. I mean it's not like I directed them or anything.

May I suggest chillin' on the hostility. And make your arguments about the pros or cons of said movie. That's the best way to make your point, by explaining why you hate or love a certain film. Just a helpful tip.

More tolerance? Why are people getting bent out of shape here? I'm sorry, let me follow the flock and heap praise on films because others love them. Come on people.

Yeah, he is an a-hole.

Horror is not the issue.

Great horror films:

The Evil Dead
The Thing
Alien
Psycho
Halloween
Rosemary's Baby
The Exorcist

The list goes on and on.

Those films, are not good...in my opinion. People need to chill. It amazes me how people are trying to tell me I'm wrong here.

"You need to stop watching horror"

"You're narrow-minded"

"You know ZERO about cinema"

"You're uneducated"

Great community here.
The Shining is probably the most technical horror movie ever made... I the camera work is amazing, the acting is sensational (especially from Jack Nicholson), the built is insanely cool and entertaining and the ending is just iconic. I don't know how you can like The Evil Dead (yes it's a pretty good movie) and you don't like The Shining