Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans (F.W. Murnau, 1927) -

Sherlock jr. (Buster Keaton, 1924) -
+
Predator 2 (Stephen Hopkins, 1990) -
+
Camille 2000 (Radley Metzger, 1969) -

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
The Fly (1958) -

Vincent Price is bettah than Jeff Goldblum (even though me and my friend made up a meme concerning Goldblum. Every time a fly flies into his room, we say freakin' Goldblum is bullying him again ). Sadly, Price is not the fly in this one! Some other guy is. And there's a nice redhead, too, who seems to take away most screen time. It's pretty hard on the sci-fi element, which means it's quite fantastical even when compared to the 80's movie of the same title (this one didn't have a fly with human's head!!!) and it may seem way more childish, too, but in the end I prefer it to the 80's version. This is a real classic I haven't seen until now. I'm not sure if it appears in the countdown, but in case it does, I've already seen it.

Bigger Than Life (1956) -

This was pretty good, quite close to 4 stars, but the ending (probably forced by Hays code) wasn't that nice. I wonder if that's how the play ends. This is basically a mix between anti-drug and anti-patriarchy movie and it works quite well in both of these fields. James Mason was amazing in this (better than in Lolita I guess) and the God was wrong scene was terrifying. The moment he went into the room. Wow. Without a doubt a movie to keep my eye on and maybe rewatch in a couple of years to see if it doesn't deserve a higher rating.

The Wolf Man (1941) -

Great atmosphere in this one. Man of a Thousand Faces' son and Bela Lugosi (sadly in a very minor role) in foggy moors! Wolf hunts, silver sticks, traps, pick-up attempts, Gypsies, curses and hairy, manly men! Wonderful. One of my Universal favourites! I have to rewatch the original 1931 Dracula since I underrated it the first time. Frankenstein and Bride of Frankenstein are pretty dope, too, but The Incredibly Shrinking Man is #1 for me!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Mino, what other Universal Monster films have you seen. My two favorites are The Mummy and The Invisible Man
I saw what I listed in my previous post plus The Mummy (
), Creature from the Black Lagoon (
and The Invisible Man (
).

Apparently a silent masterpiece The Man Who Laughs is also an Universal picture.

Perhaps I've seen some more, but I don't know/can't remember it's Universal.

Bigger Than Life (1956) -

This was pretty good, quite close to 4 stars, but the ending (probably forced by Hays code) wasn't that nice. I wonder if that's how the play ends. This is basically a mix between anti-drug and anti-patriarchy movie and it works quite well in both of these fields. James Mason was amazing in this (better than in Lolita I guess) and the God was wrong scene was terrifying. The moment he went into the room. Wow. Without a doubt a movie to keep my eye on and maybe rewatch in a couple of years to see if it doesn't deserve a higher rating.
the ending seems a little odd and silly at first, but it can actually be interpreted as one of the darkest moments in the film. just by looking at the framing of the character's bodies it seems to indicate that things won't be as perfect as they seem, and there is never any indication that he won't just go back to abusing the drug as soon as he gets out of the hospital, and i believe that was intentional on ray's part. it imitates the happy endings of the day, but just like in the rest of the film there is a deep and pervasive darkness that is always just below the surface and can never quite be gotten rid of.
criticker

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Lies My Father Told Me (Jan Kadar, 1975)

"Rags, Clothes, Bottles!"

Wonderful, life-affirming tale about a boy growing up in a Jewish household in Ottawa, Canada, circa 1930. Jan Kadar, who made the hauntingly-beautiful Czech film The Shop on Main Street, feels right at home translating Author Ted Allan's tale to the screen. The "no-name" cast is tremendous led by dignified Grandpa Zaida (Yossi Yadin) and the lead character, his inquisitive grandson David (Jeffrey Lynas in his first film). The simple story revolves around these two's trips throughout the area on Sundays with their ancient, but magic horse, collecting junk to raise money to support the family. David's father (Len Birman) is a struggling inventor and his mother (Marilyn Lightstone) is pregnant, and the entire family lives in town (next to their stable) in the midst of several other colorful characters.

The terrific thing about this film is that it's never really nostalgic. It all seems to take place in the here and now, and young David really begins to mistrust the older generation because he says they tell lies. For example, his dad tells him that his Grandpa is a crazy old man and makes up stories about how the Earth, Nature and Man interact. Grandpa's stories are wonderful, and although he's only read One Book in his life, he's not what you would call an Orthodox Jew. David says that is all a lie, but then when his younger brother is born, and David watches him breastfeed, he tells his mom, "I want that!", pointing at her breast. She says that babies do it and that David did it when he was young, but that he's too old now. Then he asks Zaida and he agrees, saying it's only done with babies and their mothers. However, as David sees through a neighbor's window along with other local children, grown-up men and women do it too, even if they're not married (at least to each other!) David now thinks his mom and granpa are liars. The film is always surprising and especially frank about sex, which is one of its great charms. There's this cute girl who talks to David about where babies come from since her dog is pregnant. David doesn't understand how they can come out of a Doggie or Human mother. The little girl explains to him calmly that they come from the vagina, and when he says he doesn't know where that is, she shows him by pointing it out on the pregnant dog.

It goes without saying that Kadar uses terrific visuals and is a master at nightmare imagery when the film calls for it, but he's also great at mise-en-scene. I just wish that I could see more of his films. I still haven't even seen The Angel Levine in its entirety. I am so happy that TCM showed this on Groundhog Day as a sorta birthday present to me because I hadn't seen it for 25-30 years. It's definitely worthy of my Top 100.

Care for some gopher?
The Machinist (Brad Anderson, 2004) -
+
The Lickerish Quartet (Radley Metzger, 1970 -
+

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Lies My Father Told Me (Jan Kadar, 1975)

"Rags, Clothes, Bottles!"

Wonderful, life-affirming tale about a boy growing up in a Jewish household in Ottawa, Canada, circa 1930. Jan Kadar, who made the hauntingly-beautiful Czech film The Shop on Main Street, feels right at home translating Author Ted Allan's tale to the screen. The "no-name" cast is tremendous led by dignified Grandpa Zaida (Yossi Yadin) and the lead character, his inquisitive grandson David (Jeffrey Lynas in his first film). The simple story revolves around these two's trips throughout the area on Sundays with their ancient, but magic horse, collecting junk to raise money to support the family. David's father (Len Birman) is a struggling inventor and his mother (Marilyn Lightstone) is pregnant, and the entire family lives in town (next to their stable) in the midst of several other colorful characters.

The terrific thing about this film is that it's never really nostalgic. It all seems to take place in the here and now, and young David really begins to mistrust the older generation because he says they tell lies. For example, his dad tells him that his Grandpa is a crazy old man and makes up stories about how the Earth, Nature and Man interact. Grandpa's stories are wonderful, and although he's only read One Book in his life, he's not what you would call an Orthodox Jew. David says that is all a lie, but then when his younger brother is born, and David watches him breastfeed, he tells his mom, "I want that!", pointing at her breast. She says that babies do it and that David did it when he was young, but that he's too old now. Then he asks Zaida and he agrees, saying it's only done with babies and their mothers. However, as David sees through a neighbor's window along with other local children, grown-up men and women do it too, even if they're not married (at least to each other!) David now thinks his mom and granpa are liars. The film is always surprising and especially frank about sex, which is one of its great charms. There's this cute girl who talks to David about where babies come from since her dog is pregnant. David doesn't understand how they can come out of a Doggie or Human mother. The little girl explains to him calmly that they come from the vagina, and when he says he doesn't know where that is, she shows him by pointing it out on the pregnant dog.

It goes without saying that Kadar uses terrific visuals and is a master at nightmare imagery when the film calls for it, but he's also great at mise-en-scene. I just wish that I could see more of his films. I still haven't even seen The Angel Levine in its entirety. I am so happy that TCM showed this on Groundhog Day as a sorta birthday present to me because I hadn't seen it for 25-30 years. It's definitely worthy of my Top 100.
Sounds interesting.. I would have definitely watched this if you would have put this on the "Upcoming Films" thread... I can't even order it from Comcast..

Robot Monster (Phil Tucker, 1953)
Camp Rating:

Unintentionally hilarious Z-grade "sci-fi" schlock, reportedly shot for $16,000, involving the Monster shown above (there are no robots in the flick). Can you see it? Yes, it's a guy in an ape suit with a space helmet and antennae on his head. In the actual film, there's a faint outline inside the helmet of a face, but nothing as blatant as a skull. This anti-hero is Ro-Man, who was sent by his Ruler, the Great Guidance, to destroy all humans on Earth before they become capable of traveling out into space and blowing up the rest of the Universe. Ro-Man succeeds in destroying all humans except for six people living in the desert near the cave where Ro-Man hangs out and carries out "deep philosophical" discussions with the Great Guidance using some kind of TV monitor inside a cheap wooden case. Oh yeah, he also likes to play with the Billion Bubble Machine, which blows bubbles toward the camera and seems to be the reason the film was originally shot in 3-D.

As you can see from the trailer, Robot Monster has just about everything. It includes such awesome scenes as hottie Claudia Barrett marrying George Nader (who's shirtless at the time). Then, even though billions of people have just been killed, they decide to leave a relatively safe place and have a quickie honeymoon in Ro-Man Territory. Ro-Man has taken quite a fancy with the Earth woman, so he finds it difficult to kill her. It also includes, and I kid you not, an original score by Elmer Bernstein! Although the film eventually grossed a million dollars at the drive-in circuit, director Phil Tucker was so distraught at the critical thrashing this film received, he attempted suicide. I just picked this baby up in a two-pack, along with Plan 9 From Outer Space, for $9. Sarah showed Plan 9 along with Frankenweenie, at her high school as 2008's free Halloween movie.

Robot Monster is the ultimate masterpiece of bad cinema. Even better than Wood films.

Bondage = instant
for me
Ape man rape in a cave = instant classic for me

House of Wax - Better than average 50s horror film, with some nice color photography for the time. B+

Irrational Man - "Dostoevsky got it right." This is Woody Allen doing his version of Crime and Punishment. It feels a bit hollow to me, and I can't quite make the necessary leaps of believing that Joaquin Phoenix is this great teacher and original thinker or that there's any chemistry whatsoever between him and the Emma Stone character. Below average no matter which angle you want to try to appreciate it, either as a Woody Allen movie, a Joaquin Phoenix movie, or as a pseudo-intellectual thriller. C+

Nothing Lasts Forever - In 1984 Bill Murray and Dan Aykroyd appeared in a very bizarre little movie, but due to some legal reason, the film was never given a theatrical release and still has never been released on home video. It has been shown a few times at festivals and shown once on TCM. The movie itself is this strange surreal tale of a man Adam who comes to New York to be an artist, but is forced to work for the Port Authority for not showing any artistic talent. His boss is played by Dan Aykroyd, who appears in a couple scenes. He ends up on a bus to the moon, where Bill Murray plays the conductor. It has some funny bits in it, and it is charming for its embrace of joyous nonsense.

Has anyone else seen it? There's no doubt Holden has, but anyone else?

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses

Nothing Lasts Forever - In 1984 Bill Murray and Dan Aykroyd appeared in a very bizarre little movie, but due to some legal reason, the film was never given a theatrical release and still has never been released on home video. It has been shown a few times at festivals and shown once on TCM. The movie itself is this strange surreal tale of a man Adam who comes to New York to be an artist, but is forced to work for the Port Authority for not showing any artistic talent. His boss is played by Dan Aykroyd, who appears in a couple scenes. He ends up on a bus to the moon, where Bill Murray plays the conductor. It has some funny bits in it, and it is charming for its embrace of joyous nonsense.

Has anyone else seen it? There's no doubt Holden has, but anyone else?
I saw this, only because a friend of mine played "Uncle Mort" -- "It's like Nazi Germany all over again"

One from the Heart (Francis Coppola, 1981)

Miss You Already (Catherine Hardwicke, 2015)

How to Break 90 #2: Position and Back Swing (George E. Marshall, 1933)

The Terrorist (Santosh Sivan, 2000)

Nineteen-year-old Ayesha Dharker is picked to kill a world leader on a suicide mission, but her doubts begin to weigh on her.
Face to Face (Sergio Sollima, 1967)

South of the Border (George Sherman, 1939)
+
Hating Obama (Marquis Smalls, 2015)

Oscar Wilde (Gregory Ratoff, 1960)
-

Lord Alfred Douglas (John Neville) and Oscar Wilde (Robert Morley) are accused by the former’s father, the Marquis of Queensberry (Edward Chapman), of sharing “the love that dares not speak its name”, and this results in two famous trials.
Motoring in Mexico (James A. FitzPatrick, 1943)

Bitter Victory (Mark Robson, 1951)
-
By the Sea (Angelina Jolie Pitt, 2015)

Rambling Rose (Martha Coolidge, 1991)
+

During the Depression, a young prostitute (Laura Dern) is taken in by an upper class Southern family to give her a second chance at life, but the 13-year-old son (Lukas Haas) has a “natural curiosity” to pursue his sexual education with her.
The Phynx (Lee H. Katzin, 1970)

Calling All Girls (Jean Negulesco, 1942)

Lay the Favorite (Stephen Frears, 2012)

The War Wagon (Burt Kennedy, 1967)
-

Seeking revenge against the man (Bruce Cabot) who framed him, took his land and the gold found there, and sent him to prison, rancher John Wayne returns after serving his time, enlists safecracker/gun-for-hire Kirk Douglas and plots to hijack the crook’s war wagon, a heavily-fortified, Gatling-gun-toting stagecoach which transports his gold dust.
The Friendship Train (No Director Listed, 1948)

Prince Valiant (Henry Hathaway, 1954)
-
Merry-Go-Round (Jacques Rivette, 1981)

Tab Hunter Confidential (Jeffrey Schwartz, 2015)

’50s heartthrob Tab Hunter was popular in movies, on the musical pop charts, all over the TV, was seen on countless dates with Hollywood starlets and had to hide his homosexuality from the public.