The MoFo Top 100 of the 1940's

→ in
Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
been glancing through a few of Charles Laughton movies and I see no one mention them, so I'm curious if anyone has seen them and what they thought:
Arch of Time with Laughton, Candice Bergman and Charles Boyer. Just the leading actors have me VERY curious about it. When I googled it, the short description read as follows: "A refugee doctor (Charles Boyer) saves a singer (Ingrid Bergman) from the Seine and hunts a Nazi thug (Charles Laughton) in Paris." And that REALLY got me curious.

The Canterville Ghost. It's one on my Need To Watch list, but I was curious to see what others thought of it.

And, finally:
This Land is Mine with George Sanders and Maureen O'Hara joining Laughton. Another I Need To Watch, and another, I'm curious of as well.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Arch of Triumph. I don't think any of those movies are that good - This Land is Mine being the best. You'll love them.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
.and one Vamp's favorites Victor Mature.
I get chills just thinking about him.

Thanks for bringing this up. I was going to mention this again. @Yam12 It really is a very good list of films if you want to get an idea of what there is to choose from. I say to pick out some titles that sound interesting, look them up and see if the stories will appeal to you, and then, if so, give the films a try. What else can you do? But I do hope you find enough that you like that would make you want to send in a list.

The Suspect and The Little Foxes are lesser talked about gems in my opinion.
So is The Pride of the Yankees - a lesser talked about gem. In fact, I think I am the only one here who has talked about it. One of these days I will shut up and stop mentioning it, but that probably won't happen until this countdown is over.

Oh, see The Magnificent Ambersons.
I was waiting to see when you would mention this one. And I also think it is a good movie and worth watching, too.

Haven't been on the site since the '50s poll. Glad I didn't miss out on the '40s, l think I'll have time to watch a dozen movies.

I should do this too as I'm interested in entering this, but don't know where to start with 40s movies.
Here's the site I use - very powerful filtering.

http://rateyourmusic.com/films/chart...ilm&year=1940s

I really like Colonel Blimpe. Black Narcissus not so much. But my favorite Powell was The Red Shoes.
I wasn't that hot on Black either. I watched Matter of Life/Death on the weekend. That's a pretty creative film for the mid '40s. Hoping to get Blimp and Red Shoes in before the poll ends.

Also Rome Open City was amazing!
Just watched it. Fav of the 3 I've watched so far.

So is The Pride of the Yankees - a lesser talked about gem. In fact, I think I am the only one here who has talked about it. One of these days I will shut up and stop mentioning it, but that probably won't happen until this countdown is over.
I am a big baseball fan and a Yankee fan on top of that so you would think I love Pride Of The Yankees. Haven't seen it since I was a teenager but it didn't resonate with me at all. If I can find easy access I might give it another go. My list is getting long though, I need to get my butt in gear. I have 25 that please me this round so I have not been motivated.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Arch of Triumph. I don't think any of those movies are that good - This Land is Mine being the best. You'll love them.
THANKS Mark! I requested Arch from my library. I may hold off on the others, we'll see

I am a big baseball fan and a Yankee fan on top of that so you would think I love Pride Of The Yankees. Haven't seen it since I was a teenager but it didn't resonate with me at all. If I can find easy access I might give it another go. My list is getting long though, I need to get my butt in gear. I have 25 that please me this round so I have not been motivated.
Well, maybe being an adult might change how you would feel about it. Who knows? You don't have to rush out to see it if you don't want to, but I would love to hear your opinion if ever you do watch it.

I don't really remember when I first saw it, but I know I was a teenager, too. I just don't really remember if it was early teens or a little later. I have seen it quite a few times throughout the years, but a few months ago was the first time that I'd watched it in like 15 years, maybe. I am not entirely sure but it has been a long time. I don't know if this will make any sense at all, but I have found that I a lot of films that I have watched lately - that I haven't seen for a very long time - seem to have a different impact on me than they did before. There are those that I used to really like, but I watch them now and I don't care if I ever see them again. Then there are those that I always liked, and after having not seen them for so long, they seem to make me have this immense adoration (for lack of a better word) for them that I didn't before. Like I said, I really liked them, but I not only seem to still really like them, I also have been holding them at a higher regard, and I find myself really appreciating them more. The Pride of the Yankees happened to be one of those films. I don't know if it is what my experiences have been in life that affect how I feel for certain films (whether it is now negative or even more of the positive), but it just seems to me that after all this time, and the age I am now, and with the things I have gone through in life (especially over the past 11 years), I just have a different opinion (and appreciation) for those films.

Pinocchio was another one of those where I really felt differently about it as an adult. When I was a kid I didn't like it at all. Then I had to watch it for the Animated Musical HoF, and I ended up loving it as an adult.

Well, maybe being an adult might change how you would feel about it. Who knows? You don't have to rush out to see it if you don't want to, but I would love to hear your opinion if ever you do watch it.

I don't really remember when I first saw it, but I know I was a teenager, too. I just don't really remember if it was early teens or a little later. I have seen it quite a few times throughout the years, but a few months ago was the first time that I'd watched it in like 15 years, maybe. I am not entirely sure but it has been a long time. I don't know if this will make any sense at all, but I have found that I a lot of films that I have watched lately - that I haven't seen for a very long time - seem to have a different impact on me than they did before. There are those that I used to really like, but I watch them now and I don't care if I ever see them again. Then there are those that I always liked, and after having not seen them for so long, they seem to make me have this immense adoration (for lack of a better word) for them that I didn't before. Like I said, I really liked them, but I not only seem to still really like them, I also have been holding them at a higher regard, and I find myself really appreciating them more. The Pride of the Yankees happened to be one of those films. I don't know if it is what my experiences have been in life that affect how I feel for certain films (whether it is now negative or even more of the positive), but it just seems to me that after all this time, and the age I am now, and with the things I have gone through in life (especially over the past 11 years), I just have a different opinion (and appreciation) for those films.

Pinocchio was another one of those where I really felt differently about it as an adult. When I was a kid I didn't like it at all. Then I had to watch it for the Animated Musical HoF, and I ended up loving it as an adult.
Makes a lot of sense. Sometimes when a film hits me differently I do a little head check because I almost feel guilty for liking a popular film more on a second watch. I have dumped that thinking though. If something hits me right and I love it so be it. As we grow in our real lives and watch more film we are going to respond differently. That's what makes film art and more subjective than most cinephiles want to admit.

Just letting you guys know that if you were interested in only sending a partial list, you can begin to do so today.

Just letting you guys know that if you were interested in only sending a partial list, you can begin to do so today.
Wow, time flies! There's only 1 more month left until the deadline (Sept 3rd), where did all that time go?....

I better get watching more 1940s movies

Wow, time flies! There's only 1 more month left until the deadline (Sept 3rd), where did all that time go?
Yeah, I can barely believe how fast time went by! This had to be the fastest summer ever. I didn't get a single thing accomplished in the past few months that I planned to, and now it is almost time for this countdown to begin. Scary.

Anyway, I just love that you are going to go watch more 1940s movies. I can't imagine how long your short list is going to be.

Cool. I don't know many 1940's movies so I have only a partial list with 17 titles that I loved from the decade.

Just letting everyone know that another list has been received. This one belongs to jiraffejustin.

Only 8, but I have a feeling that the majority of the lists are going to be coming in pretty close to the deadline.