Video Game Movies

Tools    

Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within

I am a huge fan of the FF game series. The movie does not really follow one of the games, but if you play the games you would immediately recognize the basic elements of the game (everything in the world is made of elements or "spirits", spirits exist without the body, the elements must be collected to save the world). The story was good, and the amount of work which was applied to the animation was astounding. For instance, hair was animated strand-by-strand. This made the characters flow naturally. Some parts of the movie are beyond realistic.

Never played the Professor Layton games but I did enjoy the movie, Professor Layton and the Eternal Diva. And from what I hear a lot of fans seem to like the film as well.

Another video game movie which had a lot of fans at the time was Silent Hill (2006), and I thought it was well made until the last act, which I didn't like, but is that a good one with most people?
I haven't played the game at all, but I enjoyed the film as a strange and atmospheric horror. Although . . .

it still has its fair share of flaws - the most prominent one being the studio-mandated sub-plot for Sean Bean's character
Yeah, the entire Sean Bean subplot was a waste of time. It's just . . . boring and you sit there waiting for them to get back to the weird dreamy/nightmarish stuff with the mom and daughter.

I also seem to remember not totally understanding the ending and chalking it up to "well, maybe it's something I'd understand if I'd played the game."

“I was cured, all right!”
I think anime has some good video games adaptations, like Fatal Fury, Street Fighter Victory and Sonic, but like Iroquis saied "most of them don't have particularly deep plots in the first place" - in my opinion, they worked because the OVAs/TV doesnt tried to add a deep plot to them. The Street Fighter adaptation is more about muscles, fighting and friendship, than about a complex origin story of a character or Shadaloo. Live action never worked for me. MK, SF, for example, are all "so bad it's good", or "so bad that I'll never rewatch it again".