1930s Hall of Fame

Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I've said it before and, (apparently) won't shut up about it. . . so do enjoy an in depth write up by someone regarding their nomination that I haven't seen before. Nicely done, @Nathaniel!

Actually started typing on trying to rack my brain on whether I've seen Awful Truth or not. But I'm pretty sure (now) I have. There's one I'll need to rewatch for the 30s Countdown.

I've said it before and, (apparently) won't shut up about it. . . so do enjoy an in depth write up by someone regarding their nomination that I haven't seen before. Nicely done, @Nathaniel!

Actually started typing on trying to rack my brain on whether I've seen Awful Truth or not. But I'm pretty sure (now) I have. There's one I'll need to rewatch for the 30s Countdown.
Thanks ed

I only seen The Awful Truth for the first time last month and liked it quite a bit. Grant & Dunne have great chemistry.

Child Bride

This is exactly the kind of movie I'd like to be remade. They always remake great movies, but I think they should remake bad movies that have an interesting story. At least, I liked the story. I also liked the dwarf and the dog, but unfortunately that was about it. It's just done very poorly. There have been plenty of movies that have been worse for me to watch, but that would mostly be due to length and taste. On top of the quality, we have the swimming scene which also makes it an ugly movie. I don't know what the director's motivation was. Maybe it was artistic or to send a message, or something else, but it didn't work and it's a real bad look. I seek out shocking films, but that's starring adults. I do not see a place for this type of thing. There are plenty of ways to be a disturbing movie but I thought this was disgusting. I'm sorry I didn't like your movie Pahak, but I appreciate your out of the box nominations and I look forward to the next one.

-

Mija, would love to have you join another 30s Hof. I'm hoping when this one is done we could do a 30s Part II. I'm sure it would be small with not many members, so it would be easy to do.
I've actually been watching more 1930s film to find a candidate for the potential Part II. I think I've already found my next nomination and unfortunately it's not going to be as controversial as Child Bride

Child Bride

This is exactly the kind of movie I'd like to be remade. They always remake great movies, but I think they should remake bad movies that have an interesting story. At least, I liked the story. I also liked the dwarf and the dog, but unfortunately that was about it. It's just done very poorly. There have been plenty of movies that have been worse for me to watch, but that would mostly be due to length and taste. On top of the quality, we have the swimming scene which also makes it an ugly movie. I don't know what the director's motivation was. Maybe it was artistic or to send a message, or something else, but it didn't work and it's a real bad look. I seek out shocking films, but that's starring adults. I do not see a place for this type of thing. There are plenty of ways to be a disturbing movie but I thought this was disgusting. I'm sorry I didn't like your movie Pahak, but I appreciate your out of the box nominations and I look forward to the next one.

-
Wow, that is no easy thing to disgust cricket!

Wow, that is no easy thing to disgust cricket!
Me and Cricket have something in common...we both don't like watching naked 12 year old girls in movies.

Question for everyone who's seen Child Bride: How disturbing was it for you to watch a 12 year old actress being naked on screen? Was it wrong? Or if it wasn't disturbing or wrong, why?

Anybody would think all Child Bride consisted of was a twelve year old being paraded naked for an hour from the furore.

Not particularly but I don't judge any movie purely by one scene, no matter how ill-conceived that scene might be.

So have you seen it?
Seriously? Wouldn't have commented had I not seen it

Question for everyone who's seen Child Bride: How disturbing was it for you to watch a 12 year old actress being naked on screen? Was it wrong? Or if it wasn't disturbing or wrong, why?
Not disturbing at all and not wrong (only way it would be either for me would be to know she was forced to do the scene against her will).

Why? Well, assuming she wasn't coerced to do the scene no one was hurt -> it's not wrong in my book. I didn't find anything wrong in Pretty Baby either and it has full frontal nudity of 12-year-old Brooke Shields. I just don't understand the hysteria.

Not disturbing at all and not wrong (only way it would be either for me would be to know she was forced to do the scene against her will). Why? Well, assuming she wasn't coerced to do the scene no one was hurt -> it's not wrong in my book.
Thanks PahaK. I'm not one to usually try and convince others to change their view points, so I just wanted to know how others felt.

I didn't find anything wrong in Pretty Baby either and it has full frontal nudity of 12-year-old Brooke Shields. I just don't understand the hysteria.
I hadn't seen that one, I've heard it was controversial, I didn't know Brooke Shields was full frontal nudity in that. One thing is for sure that scene could not be made today in America.

FInished dinner now so I can answer the actual question....

Certainly not 'disturbing' (it's not hugely explicit or sexual imo) but it's not a scene I was particularly comfortable watching either .... the biggest problem I had with the scene was not the nudity per se but the overly drawn-out nature of it which felt unnecessarily voyeuristic. As for whether or not it's 'wrong', I'd have to partially echo pahaK - unless there was coercion or it was against the law, 'ill-advised' (unless of course they deliberately set out purely for notoriety) would be the way I'd term it.

Now that I think of it, there's quite a few movies with underage nudity in some kind of form. I was always under the impression that it was illegal though.

.... the biggest problem I had with the scene was not the nudity per se but the overly drawn-out nature of it which felt unnecessarily voyeuristic.
That's how I felt as well.

I think the purpose of the scene was just to show that the kids didn't see anything wrong with swimming nude together until they were told so by adults, and it's the adults that look at their bodies in a sexual manner (like the perv who starts spying on her from the cliff). The only thing that was really disgusting to me about the scene was the fact that I know there are pedo creeps out there that would find it arousing, and the film didn't frame it in a way to discourage that mindset.

I also found it a bit funny that she took off her dress to go swimming, but then when she was finished, she put her dress back on while she was still in the water, immediately soaking the garment. So it felt like all that nudity was unnecessary.

Pepe Le Moko (1937) is the tale of two films, the "thriller" and the "drama". In the first act of the film we get to see Pepe commit his crimes in gorgeous Algiers. Some of these set pieces are straight out of Raiders of the Lost Ark, their is a shooting scene in which the frame work and blocking is fantastic. When the film plays up to Julien Duvivier's strength's it's a fantastic film and reminds me of future new wave films from Melville.

But then you get to the other part...the "drama" in which you have a group of characters that you can hardly keep straight because of the short run time and they aren't really given much to do. The central plot of Pepe is the romance between Pepe and a wealthy business-men's wife but for me the character just feels like a piece of the scenery.

Jean Gabin is very good as Pepe and you wish the film just revolved around him and didn't take some of it's confusing side steps. The film had about 20 named characters and 24 hours later I could describe maybe five of them.

Make Way For Tomorrow

SPOILERS

What a very sad, but VERY enjoyable film!!

A great little tear-jerker that starts a little slow with some of the "children's" acting, but once Bark and Lucy are separated to live with one of their children, you suddenly find yourself quite invested. And by the end, OH how the tears come!!

It is a great concept and one you rarely see. An elderly couple whose children don't want, or claim they are unable to have them stay with them. Any of us who have elderly parents can truly relate to this film and it's dynamics.
Speaking of, I rather liked how we saw it, mostly, through Lucy and Bark's view of things. While getting the gist of the reasons why no one wanted them or were willing to make allowances for them. Especially to keep them together which was the ultimate heart breaker of this film. That, in their final years, after 50 yrs of marriage, they would split them up to accommodate themselves instead of helping those who raised and sacrificed for them.

One scene that irritated me was the Bridge game scene. Specifically when everyone felt bothered SIMPLY because she was rocking back in forth in her chair. I seriously started cussing at the screen. One of the best sounds of my childhood was that of a rocking chair.
Of course, when she had her phone call (so touching) I was watching each of them in background and scowling, "Yeah, feel like a bunch of d@cks, don't ya? Good!"

And, of course, that final day together was so beautiful. The long walks, the ride to the hotel they honeymooned at, and how total strangers all gave them such courtesy without knowing the full details of what that day meant to them.
Also, the little comments and looks they gave each other throughout. You could see a couple who had spent a life together.
Truly wonderful scenes.
LOVED the phone call Bark made telling their kids they wouldn't be back. Put a huge grin on my face.

And, oh my god, the good-bye!!
My heart STILL hurts thinking about it!
Especially the final fade out as Lucy's smile fades and she looks about and behind her.
What an emotional ending!!!

WOW!!

It's a very hard watch, but quite a wonderful one!!

@edarsenal

Ed, you summed up just how I felt about Make Way For Tomorrow. A great film, and unusual subject mater, very touching and very hard to watch.

Deadline is in 10 days on July 28th. Everyone looks to be easily on target. @Siddon are you still with us?

@edarsenal

Ed, you summed up just how I felt about Make Way For Tomorrow. A great film, and unusual subject mater, very touching and very hard to watch.
Definitely one you don't see in films. And yes, very hard to watch, but definitely one TO watch.
I'm doing a double feature, as it were, for sad films with Entre Nos right now.