Kung Fury

Tools    

http://variety.com/2018/film/news/mi...ry-1202695496/

"Michael Fassbender will star in David Sandberg’s action-comedy “Kung Fury,” which Sandberg will also star in and produce under his Laser Unicorns’ banner.

As previously announced, David Hasselhoff will join the cast following his role in the original short film “Kung Fury.” The short, which gained a cult following, was partly funded on Kickstarter and was selected for Cannes Directors Fortnight. The feature-length project, which will be a sequel to the original short, is shooting this summer.

The feature film will be set in 1985 in Miami, which is kept safe under the watchful eye of the police officer Kung Fury through his Thundercops police force. After the tragic death of a Thundercop causes the group to disband, a mysterious villain emerges from the shadows to aid in the Fuhrer’s quest to attain the ultimate weapon.

David Katzenberg, Seth Grahame-Smith, and Aaron Schmidt will produce under their KatzSmith Productions banner, which produced “It.” Philip Westgren of B-Reel Films and Conor McCaughan will also produce. Pelle Strandberg is executive producing on behalf of Laser Unicorns."

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"
I loved the original short film and I knew Sandberg was going to do a sequel...just hearing this gave me goosebumps.

As previously announced, David Hasselhoff will join the cast following his role in the original short film “Kung Fury.” The short, which gained a cult following, was partly funded on Kickstarter and was selected for Cannes Directors Fortnight. The feature-length project, which will be a sequel to the original short, is shooting this summer.
Yes please. I just hope they have enough creative material for the running time.

I can't believe they would make a feature film of this... The first one was awful. But apparently there is a market.
It is the Shawshank Redemption of our times, what are you talking about?

Well hail and hearty then.

Welcome to the human race...
It's like Shawshank in that it's also got an absurdly high user rating on IMDb (the difference being that Shawshank earns it).

Anyway, yeah, I was already pretty vocal about how much I hated the original and definitely doubt that a feature-length adaptation with bigger names and more of a budget is going to necessarily improve on its fauxstalgia aspirations (just look at Hobo with a Shotgun).

Hmm. I liked Kung Fury, but I can't imagine a way in which the joke can stretch to a feature length running time.
I'm guessing it will probably be on the shorter side at 90 mins or so rather tan 2 hours, I think the joke can potentially be sustained that long if the production is strong enough with the same density as the original.

That they've kept Sandberg as the lead character seems like a good sign to me that there not trying to turn it into a conventional comedy. It really does need for him to be played "straight but corny" for the humour to work IMHO, I spose the other test as well is do they keep the same absurdist style? I mean "lol 80's" comedy is everywhere these days but the original stood out by being so bizarre.

Welcome to the human race...
This is still happening, huh?

Schwarzenegger does not give me any hope for this - his presence here instantly reminded me of his glorified cameo in the absolutely abysmal Killing Gunther.