The MoFo Top 100 Movies of the 1930s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I'm sure you've seen The Informer (1935). But if not, Victor McLaglen won the Oscar for best actor, and John Ford won for best director.

I'll be sending in a list before too long.

~Doc
Thanks and no, I haven't seen that one, sounds good.

So far I have only 2 list!

Totally cool if you're watching some 1930s films and will send a list later...but if you're not actively watching movies for this countdown, please, please, please! Send in your voting list! see the 1st post for rules.

The deadline is the morning of September 30, 2018 12:01 AM Pacific Standard Time Zone. I won't be extending the deadline beyond that date and time...as I do plan on starting asap after the deadline.

Mine will be in 2 minutes before the deadline. Later if I can squeeze in another film.

I'm probably able to send at least partial list at some point but I'm still trying to watch more 1930s films. I've even liked a few lately.
Mine will be in 2 minutes before the deadline. Later if I can squeeze in another film.
I admire your guy's dedication, very cool I might be watching a 1930s film tonight myself.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I was wondering why there weren't more 30s films on youtube. Apparently copyright lasts for 95 years before they can enter the public domain! Which seems long past the point anyone involved in it would still be alive.

Look on the bright side, it should be dead easy to locate films for the 1910s countdown when we get to it

I was wondering why there weren't more 30s films on youtube. Apparently copyright lasts for 95 years before they can enter the public domain! Which seems long past the point anyone involved in it would still be alive.
As I understand it, In the U.S., all copyrighted films which had been copyrighted prior to 1960, had to periodically renew their copyrights; and many have not. However many old films were never even copyrighted. It must be prominently displayed in their credits.

But this is a very murky area, and there is no national standard because the Supreme Court usually does not take copyright issues. But you can be sure that organizations such as TCM, and even YouTube are very aware of various legalities. BTW, films do not have to be in the public domain in order to be shown on TV or by other methods.

In music copyrights, it's much more straightforward. The copyrights are for the length of time from a composer's lifetime + 70 years (it may be 50 in some countries).

~Doc

There's a bunch of 1930s movies on Youtube, but...not the type that will most likely make the countdown. They're titles that I've never even heard of. Still fun to watch though.

There's a bunch of 1930s movies on Youtube, but...not the type that will most likely make the countdown. They're titles that I've never even heard of. Still fun to watch though.
There are some good ones too (even generally considered good, not just "I'm into this trash" good Most of them are foreign though (for you Americans).

Your 30s Countdown seems to be going swimmingly Orson. Good luck with it. I must have seen no more that 10 Thirties films in my lifetime. Most would be early Bette Davis classics.

CR, I've just now (7/31/18) forwarded my list of 25 to you.

May I say that this Countdown is a very nice thing for you to do, and many of us really appreciate your efforts.

Cheers!
~Doc

Update:

There's 2 months left to get your voting list in (details on the 1st post)...I'm starting this promptly, so I won't be extending the deadline.

The deadline to send your list in is by: the morning of September 30, 2018 12:01 AM Pacific Standard Time Zone.

As of now, we have 5 voting list.

Just an FYI Gone With the Wind will still be a blind spot for me for the countdown.
You haven't seen it? think you'd like it too. I usually watch it in two nights, cause it's like 4 hours long.

Planning on watching 100 30's films then sending in my list, currently on 94. I've decided on four of the remaining six: The Only Son, Footlight Parade, Duck Soup and Port of Shadows. So if anyone wants to rec some stuff for the last two spots go ahead, don't think anyone cares but it's difficult to decide. These are the ones i've seen:

https://letterboxd.com/camarel/films/decade/1930s/

Master of My Domain
Whoa, I didn't even know this thread existed. I'll try to compile a list this week.

Planning on watching 100 30's films then sending in my list, currently on 94. I've decided on four of the remaining six: The Only Son, Footlight Parade, Duck Soup and Port of Shadows. So if anyone wants to rec some stuff for the last two spots go ahead, don't think anyone cares but it's difficult to decide. These are the ones i've seen: ...
If you haven't caught The Informer, it was a multiple Oscar winner: Best Actor (V. McGlaglen), Best Director (John Ford), Best Screenplay (Dudley Nichols), and Best Music Score (Max Steiner).

And Hitchcock's The 39 Steps is one I never get tired of re-watching.

~Doc