The Videogames Tab

Tools    

The People's Republic of Clogher
I've definitely been playing too many dialogue-heavy games recently. In fact, I set aside Yakuza 6 until my palate is well and truly cleansed.

I finished Vampyr about a week ago. Atmosphere is cool, albeit not as good as I’d hoped given the setting (maybe a bit too cartoony, for lack of a better word), but story and characters are good. I wasn’t fond of having to run back and forth down the ends of the map because of another god*amn villager developing a morale-diminishing headache, but I still had fun.

there's a frog in my snake oil
This is why we can't have nice AI...

An AI project which pit programs against each other in games of five-in-a-row Tic-Tac-Toe on an infinitely expansive board surfaced the extremely successful method of requesting moves involving extremely long memory addresses which would crash the opponent's computer and award a win by default.

Xbox Game Pass has done its job.

I've been playing so much State of Decay 2 (free on Game Pass) that I bought the Ultimate Edition at a 20% discount so I can keep playing once my cheap 3 months on Game Pass come to an end.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I accidentally bought Horizon Zero Dawn: Winter Wilds. It's a DLC for a game I do not own.

Guess I gotta buy that main game now.

Suspect's Reviews

I accidentally bought Horizon Zero Dawn: Winter Wilds. It's a DLC for a game I do not own.

Guess I gotta buy that main game now.
I've done that. Bought a Pinball Arcade table pack, then discovered it was for the PS3 version, not the PS4.

Horizon is bound to end up as a PS+ game. You could play the DLC that way without actually paying for the base game.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I've done that. Bought a Pinball Arcade table pack, then discovered it was for the PS3 version, not the PS4.

Horizon is bound to end up as a PS+ game. You could play the DLC that way without actually paying for the base game.
I'm holding you to this,the penalty for being wrong is purchasing the game for me.

I can't decide if this is significant or not...

CLOTHES MAKE THE HUMAN... [AVATAR AFFECTS ON BEHAVIOUR]

Some of this is slight, but it intrigues: "Virtually Being Einstein Results in an Improvement in Cognitive Task Performance and a Decrease in Age Bias"

Some interesting other experiments referenced at the start as well, such as child-like forms leading to self categorising with child-like attributes and mimicking partners of the same virtual skin colour more readily etc. Kinda amazed this level of fidelity can really inspire an inner-lab-coat effect though

Makes you wonder about applications here. The roleplay and game applications are obviously intriguing. (Could you help a player solve a puzzle by giving them a lab coat if they're struggling? )

The general 'plasticity' involved in self-perception is intriguing too though. Will people in the future spend an hour a day as the President in some form of esteem-isolation-tank? Curious days
A study comparing the effect with flat-screen games would be a start. But in theory, if the affect is marked, there's some game mechanic fun to be had down the line there . (Would you play a game more 'evilly' if depicted as evil? Would you scavenge more readily if your character woke up in rags? Would my bow-legged horse-swagger be even wider in a VR Red Dead Redemption? )

Calling all FMV game fans, which is everyone, right? The revival continues!

The Dr Dekker people have a new game coming out featuring not only some of the cast from their previous game, but also two of the Contradiction crew.

Disclosure: I really like this bunch and chat with a couple of them regularly over the old social medias.

Love it! Wife and I are definitely playing this together.

Totally with you, Tacitus, on loving the fan-friendly and personable cast, and the charming throwback feel to these games. The last one was pretty good just as a game, but those other elements helped it along, and I think the same vibe married to even a slightly better mystery, with a little less running around, would be an absolute joy. Either way, the people involved give these kinds of games such a high floor that I'm definitely in for whatever they do, for the time being. Thanks for telling us about it!

Dr Dekker was the first actual video game the devs have made - Their stock in trade are murder mystery party games - So I'm expecting the new game to be a little tighter, now that they have more experience. I've not played Dekker since release but apparently they've been pretty dedicated in patching and improving it, and the game's now a lot more user friendly.

https://davekki.com/games

Yeah, as a first game, and with such a funky (for modern times, at least) format, that's probably a lot better than it had any right to be. Very excited to see them take another pass at the same concept. Video games are often the opposite of movies in that the second and third installments can very often get better, since they have a lot of the rote foundation work done and have learned a lot from the feedback of the first effort.

Yeah, as a first game, and with such a funky (for modern times, at least) format, that's probably a lot better than it had any right to be. Very excited to see them take another pass at the same concept. Video games are often the opposite of movies in that the second and third installments can very often get better, since they have a lot of the rote foundation work done and have learned a lot from the feedback of the first effort.
Totally. So much of the medium is technological rather than artistic so things often improve even just by familiarity with the tools at your disposal. Look at how much more impressive games tend to be at the end of a console's cycle, where they've learned every trick in the book to squeeze power out of the machine, compared to the beginning.

I endorse this longitudinal trolling...

Multiplayer
  • Team up a small team of friends and explore the universe together, or be joined by random travellers.
  • You can help friends to stay alive, or prey on others to survive.
  • Tiny shelters or complex colonies that you build as a team are shared for all players.
  • Fight as a pirate or a wingman in epic space battles with friends and enemies.
  • Race exocraft across weird alien terrains, creating race tracks and trails to share online.
  • Character customisation allows you to personalise your appearance.

Visual Overhaul
  • The game is fully playable in third or first person, both on-foot and in ship.
  • Planetary rings and improved space visuals make space more beautiful than ever.
  • Dramatically improved planetary terrain generation, ground textures, water and clouds bring the environment to life.
  • Significantly more detail added to ships, NPCs and buildings.

Unlimited Base Building
  • Bases can now be built anywhere on any planet.
  • Dramatically increased base building complexity and size limits.
  • Hundreds of new base parts.
  • Own multiple bases.

Command Freighters
  • Assemble and upgrade a fleet of frigates and command them from the bridge of your freighter.
  • Send your fleet out to into the universe, or deploy them to help you as you explore a specific system.
  • Improved freighter base building allows a truly custom capital ship.
  • Invite your friends aboard and take on challenging multiplayer missions from the Galactic Commision Station on your bridge.

(I still want a stealth VR addition too tho you bastards )

Looking pretty likely I'll be pouncing on this the next time it gets down under $30, then, to play a bit over the winter.
Yeah Winter sale would be a good spot, they've had a big pass on almost every aspect now. (I wasn't drawn back in to try out the bigger focus on story strands, but I'd still expect that to be the weakest to be honest. Proc gen doesn't really play that nicely with narrative progression).

It's interesting that it's still a flat £40. This whole 'Game As Service' / 'Stealth Early Access' meta is kinda annoying still, but it is a bit more fruity at this end of the cycle. Launch with an excessive price, finally add 'excessive' content for the price over time . It's a weird weird model.

But if they add VR and give me another cross-play option I def won't be complaining too hard

I wonder if the next trend will be 'GAS' games that look they'll deliver for years, but just fold like furtive flowers a year down the line. Wouldn't be surprised.

(PS I'm not calling these damn gaming models GAASes. GAS feels about right for the current meta. Along with ARG )

If only the game on release was 40% of what they're saying now, things would have been so different. I jumped in again a few months ago and, while the changes they'd made were appreciable, there still wasn't nearly enough to hold my interest. This update looks more promising.