"Jurassic World 2" Crosses 1 Billion Worldwide

Tools    

The Bib-iest of Nickels
In Summer 2014, Universal surely expected they'd see a healthy box-office result for Jurassic World. However, I think I can safely assume they were surprised by the staggering total the Colin Trevorrow directed film brought it. At over one-and-a-half billion dollars, Jurassic World proved a lot of life still existed in the franchise, but it also meant Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom had a lot to live up to. In truth, no box-office analyst ever expected Fallen Kingdom would garner as much as its predecessor, especially from a domestic total. As of this writing, Jurassic World 2 currently stands at $1,060,990,040.

Jurassic World may have absolutely dwarfed Fallen Kingdom on a domestic-level, grossing 652 million in-comparison to Fallen Kingdom's current total of 333 million (however, it does appear Jurassic World 2's on-pace to reach 400 million domestically with a little luck), but Fallen Kingdom has picked up a lot of slack elsewhere. Propped up by a run in China that has amassed nearly 250 million total, Fallen Kingdom has made over 700 million outside the United States and Canada (in-comparison to the billion made from Jurassic World).

Although Jurassic World 2 has dwindled in most its territories, where it stands, it has the potential to finish it's run with a total of more than 1.2 billion. Universal has more than enough cause for celebration.

And consensus is on the third one finishing at an even lower number to continue the trend, right? Haven't seen it yet myself

The Bib-iest of Nickels
And consensus is on the third one finishing at an even lower number to continue the trend, right? Haven't seen it yet myself
I would suspect Jurassic World 3 will make less in the United States and Canada than the first or second film, but the overseas totals can less predictable than that. A comparison I would draw is with Pirates of the Caribbean.

Adjusted for inflation, Deadman's Chest made 591 million in the United States, At World's End made 411 million. Consider that Jurassic World made 650 million and Fallen Kingdom is on-pace to come either at 400 million or a little shy and you see their drops are very comparable. From a worldwide perspective, while Deadman's Chest beat At World's End, the film was still largely successful because of overseas total.

Then, On Stranger Tides, the film after At World's End, arrived and had an even more substantial decline, grossing 274 million when adjusted for inflation.

But, you know what? Because of the growing overseas brand recognition for the series, On Stranger Tides out-grossed At World's End (our Fallen Kingdom in this comparison) and nearly out-grossed Deadman's Chest (our Jurassic World in this comparison) in worldwide total.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I would suspect Jurassic World 3 will make less in the United States and Canada than the first or second film, but the overseas totals can less predictable than that. A comparison I would draw is with Pirates of the Caribbean.

Adjusted for inflation, Deadman's Chest made 591 million in the United States, At World's End made 411 million. Consider that Jurassic World made 650 million and Fallen Kingdom is on-pace to come either at 400 million or a little shy and you see their drops are very comparable. From a worldwide perspective, while Deadman's Chest beat At World's End, the film was still largely successful because of overseas total.

Then, On Stranger Tides, the film after At World's End, arrived and had an even more substantial decline, grossing 274 million when adjusted for inflation.

But, you know what? Because of the growing overseas brand recognition for the series, On Stranger Tides out-grossed At World's End (our Fallen Kingdom in this comparison) and nearly out-grossed Deadman's Chest (our Jurassic World in this comparison) in worldwide total.
Yeah, Stranger Tides made over a billion world-wide.

The lack of interest in North America for these movies is now obvious with Dead Men Tell No Tales not even cracking $200M Domestically and being the lowest (except original) worldwide.

Dead Man's Chest made so much money because people loved the first one. That one was mediocre at best and the resulting films suffered.

Suspect's Reviews

The Bib-iest of Nickels
Yeah, Stranger Tides made over a billion world-wide.

The lack of interest in North America for these movies is now obvious with Dead Men Tell No Tales not even cracking $200M Domestically and being the lowest (except original) worldwide.

Dead Man's Chest made so much money because people loved the first one. That one was mediocre at best and the resulting films suffered.
Agreed (with the lack of interest in North America), but I actually liked At World's End and Dead Man's Chest.