Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Please just say "Dogs"
Down boy.

If you haven't seen it yet, why?
Ask your girlfriend.

How many Beatles documentaries can there be? Most of this is a re-hash of what we’ve seen before especially, like me, if you’ve seen The Beatles Anthology. Enjoyable though if you’re a Beatles fan.

The Girl with All the Gifts (2016)
Rating: 7/10

Hoping that this zombie movie would prove exciting and original, I sat down, popped my feet up, and zoned out. I don't really have any major complaints. It was well directed and acted. It is frustrating that the movie industry is close minded and struggles with parity in representation across the board. It is so nice to see a black girl as the leading actor and the heroine of her own story- Sennia Nanua was really good. I think the reasoning behind the second generation hungries is a bit weak... they only revert to zombie tendencies when in close contact with human skin??? Could be a little better. Besides the ability to control your zombie urges, most of the plot line isn't groundbreaking. This ending was quite the moral/philosophical dilemma, however... it was certainly an ending I haven't seen before! Overall, it was good, I was just hoping for more originality and excitement.

USS INDIANAPOLIS: (2016)

Based on an actual event. Timeline is 1945. Tells of the American warship which carried the A bomb that was dropped on Hiroshima. After unloading its dealy cargo the USS Indianapolis falls prey to a Japanese sub and is sunk. What follows is a week from hell as the hundreds of survivors battle hunger, thirst, injury, the elements and the worst denison of the deep..the man eating Great White shark. This flick, which has Nicolas Cage in the lead as the ship's commander, lacked that special something of the classic war film. The acting was wooden..even Cage. The characters not evoking sympathy or respect. In short..a major disappointment.

Galaxy Quest

I sat down to watch this again not long ago and like a moth to a flame my wife came in the room and said, “Is that Alan Rickman?” I responded, “Yeah, haven’t you seen Galaxy Quest before?” She said no and sat down to watch and subsequently forgot whatever it was she was doing. Snape is a fav’ of hers and she loves Harry Potter like crazy. Rickman is also one of my favorite actors although I am not a huge Potter fan and this movie would not be the same without him. I would not say he carries the movie but he is a large part of why it is just so damn fun. The melancholy/sarcasm mix is a perfect role for him, think Eeyore. Tim Allen is also cast very well, hell the casting in general for this fun-filled flick is just plain perfect. It has a very improv feel to it and I highly recommend it if you like your sci-fi mixed with humor.

Hoping that this zombie movie would prove exciting and original, I sat down, popped my feet up, and zoned out. I don't really have any major complaints. It was well directed and acted. It is frustrating that the movie industry is close minded and struggles with parity in representation across the board. It is so nice to see a black girl as the leading actor and the heroine of her own story- Sennia Nanua was really good. I think the reasoning behind the second generation hungries is a bit weak... they only revert to zombie tendencies when in close contact with human skin??? Could be a little better. Besides the ability to control your zombie urges, most of the plot line isn't groundbreaking. This ending was quite the moral/philosophical dilemma, however... it was certainly an ending I haven't seen before! Overall, it was good, I was just hoping for more originality and excitement.
Nice review.

I enjoyed this movie quite a bit, it certainly could have had some more innovative writing in some parts. It was a very decent film that could have been great. I really liked the ending.

It gets a 3.5 outta 5 from me.

I suppose you've all heard it from me before but the book fixes many issues the film version has: characters are deeper and their actions more logical, there are some story elements that are completely missing form the film that make story work better and there's much less emphasis on your typical sneaking among the zombies with guns. Only thing I didn't like in the book was the actual language which to me felt rather clumsy.

I gave the film 5/10 and the book would be 7/10 on the same scoring system.

Dead Shack (2017)

Comedy horror labelled as "A family fight off zombies while spending time in a cabin in the woods".
I was expecting a Cabin In The Woods knock-off.

Instead is a non-comedy non-horror filled with main characters who aren't exactly likeable.
There's Dad, Daughter, Son, and a friend of the two kids, and Dad's missus.

The Dad is a 40+ year old man-child who spends the whole movie drunk and acting like an a-hole to his entire family.
Dad's missus is a 30 year old, a drunkard as well, who treats the kids like sh*t, gets drunk, turns into a zombie, then tries to kill the kids.
The Daughter is a wannabe tom-boy who treats her Brother like crap and treats her potential love interest (her Brother's "friend") like dirt.
The Brother is the same, treats his friend and his Sister like crap.
And the young lad who plays the put-upon friend is basically there to do his best impression of Jay Baruchel and runs the show throughout the entire 1st and 2nd acts... in the third act, he kinda becomes a non-character among the 3 kids of the film.

Then there's Lauren Holly playing the main antagonist who runs around in a ski-mask.
She's basically feeding the zombies, and uses them as guard dogs.
Like the friend of the family though, she's kind of a non-character, has little threat value, and then sort of does some stuff in act 3 that has absolutely no impact.

If anything, I actually wanted the zombies to win.
There's nothing to warrant me actually getting behind the characters.

Considering this was shown super-late on the Horror channel on a Friday night... says it's best as a post-pub movie while falling asleep on the sofa after drinking too much (like the characters).

Boldly going.
Ant Man and the Wasp
7/10.
My enjoyment was hampered somewhat by the quantum and pseudoscience which went right over my head (and over Scott Lang's too), muddying the plot and motivations - perhaps it will become clearer to me in a future viewing. The villain, while sympathetic, wasn't very interesting and the movie's ending felt rushed.
The best thing about the movie was The Wasp. Though I liked her hair shorter (called back to the original Wasp).

The Baby of Macon (1993)

I watched this because I heard it was sick and disturbing. There is plenty of sick in theory, but I thought it was way too theatrical to be disturbing. It looked like an elaborate stage play and I didn't like that at all. No atmosphere whatsoever. It has it's moments, mostly on the humorous side, but for the most part I found it dull.

The Outlaw Josey Wales (1976).

What a watch, Clint Eastwood is just spectacular as the farmer come Johnny Reb come redeemed gunman. The pacing of this film (and it's long) is exquisite. A tale of redemption when none was required.....I loved this (John Vernons and Sam Bottoms' performances give it heart and grit) 10/10

The Baby of Macon (1993)

I watched this because I heard it was sick and disturbing. There is plenty of sick in theory, but I thought it was way too theatrical to be disturbing. It looked like an elaborate stage play and I didn't like that at all. No atmosphere whatsoever. It has it's moments, mostly on the humorous side, but for the most part I found it dull.
My view of it was that it was dull and lifeless. Dross I'd say.

The Aviator's Wife (Eric Rohmer, 1981)

"It's my tree fetish."

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Love and Death (Woody Allen, 1975)

I'm really trying to understand all the love for Woody Allen but he still didn't convince me here!

There was a couple of good moments and some jokes I guess would work better if I saw this when it came out and not 40 years later. Diane Keaton is a charm!