Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Mr. Deeds Goes to Town (1936)

This was just another movie on my 30's watchlist that I didn't know anything about. After watching it, I figure it's got to be a beloved classic. Frank Capra directs Gary Cooper as a small town guy who inherits 20 million bucks from a relative he didn't even know. He's whisked out to NYC so the vultures can take advantage. Everyone in the big city wants a piece from the simpleton, but it turns out that he's no fool. He shows what it's all about to be a good man. Funny and heartwarming with everyone involved at the top of their game.

Hush (2016)

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Mr. Deeds Goes to Town (1936)
Class!

Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Rocco and His Brothers - 8.5/10

Thanks for the "It didn't 't seem 3 hours long" comment... I think Visconti is my 2nd favorite Italian director after De Sica.

Second viewing - First time I saw this I really liked it, not so much this time around but still enjoyed it.

"If Alex DeLarge of A Clockwork Orange had become a London gangster, he might have turned out like the hero of "Gangster No. 1."

American Animals

Think Bottle Rockets meets Bully, a group of college kids decide to rob the Library. It's a docu-drama-comedy, really the film is an exercise in postmodernism and it works really well.

Welcome to the human race...
Jurassic Park III -

WARNING: "JPIII" spoilers below
ALAN

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Alien: Covenant

(Ridley Scott)

Usually when the original director comes back to a series, it marks either a downturn in their career or a return to form for the films. As mediocre as the Resident Evil films are, when Paul W.S. Anderson came back to the series, @Iroquois fell in love with it again. There are rumblings of James Cameron maybe tackling Terminator also.The Alien franchise has seen a lot of known directors make their mark on it, the aforementioned Cameron and Anderson, David Fincher, Jean-Pierre Jeunet and those dumb Skyline guys. Scott returned to the series with the polarizing Prometheus, hoping to take the series in a new direction. Leaving the tired Alien mythos behind and exploring new venues, such as the origin of human life. Bold new choices and a fresh perspective, giving audience a more adult rated sci/fi series to follow in the years to come.

Well that didn't happen. Prometheus did okay at the box office, but expectations to connect it with the Alien franchise soiled people when the dots were not connected. Complaints about logic (taking helmet of, running in a straight line) overshadowed everything else about the film; stunning visuals, tense thrilling sequences and good performances. So with Alien: Covenant it looks like Scott buckled under pressure and steered the series back towards the Xenomorphs, hoping to explore their origins a bit more. In doing so, he takes away the mythology and mystique. Do we really need to know where these guys come from? Is the fact that David is engineering these creatures taking away from their scare? This film in my opinion goes backwards for the franchise when it tried to elevate itself beyond.

If you're looking for another by the numbers Alien film, I'm sure Covenant will scratch that itch. A colonist ship picks up a distress signal from a habitable planet. They must decide whether they should check it out, or continue on with their mission. The planet has all the perfect necessities for life. Once there, they find out that they are not alone. There seem to be CGI creatures running around. Yeah, the effects kind of take away from the realism and terror these creatures use to pose on us as viewers. Scott goes for a more hard R than his previous entry. A really well done sequence involves one character convulsing and an Alien falling out of his split spine. Gross body horror done right.

Is it weird that the most interesting aspect of the film is when Fassbender plays two roles? He says to his "brother", you just worry about blowing, I'll do the fingering. Yup.

Suspect's Reviews

Welcome to the human race...
What a curious mention. I figure it's worth clarifying that I first watched the non-Anderson installments, the former of which (Apocalypse) is still my pick for the worst of the franchise (though Extinction may be the second-best after Retribution).

As for Covenant, I don't find myself particularly bothered that the origin gets explained because at least Scott's using the development less to over-explain that which should not be explained and more to try working through the themes and issues that trouble him (as with Blade Runner, it's hard not to think about how losing a brother impacted his approach to the material of artificial beings questioning their nature within the greater expanse of an uncaring creator/universe). It handles the mix of both alien and existential terror a lot better than Prometheus did, at least - so no, it is most definitely not weird that the David/Walter sections end up being the most interesting part since they are quite simply meant to be (and, while we're at it, this arguably applies to David's role in Prometheus as well).

GLADIATOR (2000)

Watched this again on the weekend. Forgotten just how good it was with Russel Crowe's Oscar performance leading the show. I love the journey we the viewer take with the Maximus character..

The plot in brief. In AD 180,General Maximus Decimus Meridius intends to return to his home after he vanquishes the pesky Germanic tribes. After the successful battle Emperor Marcus Aurelius tells Maximus that..as he regards his son Commodus unfit to rule..he wishes Maximus to succeed him to rid Rome from corruption. Commodus, upon hearing this, murders his father. and plans to execute Maximus. The general escapes and is then sold into slavery.

Imho this Gladiator scene is the film's most stirring..
There's a lot of love out there for this movie, but it bored the crap out of me.

Unregistered User

Isle Of Dogs (2018)

Not a huge fan of Wes Anderson so wasn't expecting much but I loved this. Very very funny, great storyline and I loved the visuals. Easily my favourite from the director. Must watch FMF again.

Side note. I love my dog even more now.

@the samoan lawyer, in a brief sentence, what’s it about?

Don’t Draft Me, I Watch Anime!

Psycho (1960)
+

Girlfriend's first time seeing it. This go around it felt a bit bloated, but it's still a masterpiece. I had forgotten just how unsettling Anthony Perkins is throughout. If you haven't seen it yet, why? There's a reason we're still talking about it 58 years later.