Rate the last album you've heard

Tools    

Angel Dust - Bleed (1999)

Some nice German speed metal. Nothing truly miraculous here though but it's straight heavy metal and that's always great.

Angel Dust - Enlighten the Darkness (2000)

Really amazing speed metal. Far superior than the album they made just a year before. The spirit of heavy metal lives on in albums such as this.

Angel Dust - Border of Reality (1998)

The first album the band made after reforming is also very inspired, very traditional speed metal sounding, even more than the two latter albums.

Truly a great band that I just discovered.

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
Do you like Deja Vu, Tyler?
I've got it, but I haven't listened to it yet. I'll probably give it a go tonight.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Guap's on fire lately! I only wish he'd listen to more genres!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

@ Mr. Minio, I already explained, 90% of the music I listen to is metal, 10% is classical/orchestral. I am at this mix for the past 10 years so far.

Judas Priest - Jugulator (1997)

Widely regarded as being among Judas Priest worst albums I found it very inspiring in fact. It's true that Judas Priest was heavily influenced by the current musical environment: when bands like Pantera and Machine Head dominated metal sales in the Anglophone world Judas Priest decided to modernize their sound: so they downtuned their guitars and had angsty vocals, though it is still classical heavy metal but done with a Pantera style sonic surface. I actually enjoyed it a lot, sounds like dumbass heavy metal but the songs are actually well composed.

Well I liked this song a lot:

Judas Priest - Painkiller (1990)

One of the greatest metal albums of all time. Though I have listened to it too many times now so I feel burn out of it. Still a miraculous masterpiece, almost perfect and only problem it has are the lyrics, but lyrics are not that important for me.

Judas Priest - Redeemer of Souls (2014)

Now, let's hear a little of Judas Priest latest album, after the band has completed 46 years, yep, 46 years of heavy metal (though it started as a hippie rock band:

Anyway, like the previous two albums it featuring a metal monster on the cover (yes, Judas Priest is perhaps the most self consciously heavy metal band in the world, considering it's the second most influential after Black Sabbath and the first influential metal band to emerge that self identified as metal).

This album is not bad actually, it's overall pretty good heavy metal though it has some issues. The style is the same as Judas Priest been doing for over 30 years and this could have been released in 1984 instead of 2014 as if the 30 years in between didn't exist.

Crosby Stills Nash & Young - Deja Vu (1970)

Perhaps it's Neil Young's contributions that give it the edge, but this was definitely superior to CSN's debut... not by much, though. It's pleasant listening throughout, but I can barely remember a single song apart from the already well-known singles.

Let Me Come Over - Buffalo Tom (1992)
Buffalo Tom are one of those bands that I never heard of again after this album but now that I've looked them up they are still together and still releasing albums so I guess they have a decent fan base in the U.S. My musical tastes changed a bit after this period so maybe I just wasn't paying attention when they released later albums.

Basically I bought this thanks to some airplay on an alternative music station here in Australia when it was released. In some ways it is relatively standard Indie Rock but it has a couple of songs that I still absolutely love. Unfortunately a lot of the other songs feel a bit like filler but there is noting particularly bad here. Overall it's a decent album but its highs are enough to make me interested in the albums that were to follow. I might try to track a few of them down.

Highlights: Taillights Fade was the main song that made me buy this and I still think it's great:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sEjmJ1Ge00U
Listening to it again twenty years later this song, Mineral, is probably the best on the album:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5FDanYaOY8Q

The Who Sings My Generation (1965)

Solid debut from a band that I really should have gotten into a long time ago. The title track is still one of their best, and The Kids Are Alright and The Good's Gone keep the momentum going the whole way through, with the rest of the album being perfectly fine rock stuff.

Mossy God - Mantissa (1992)
Mantissa are a great rock and roll story ... In a bad way. They were Australia's next big thing in the early 90s when they were known as Killing Time - they changed their name when this album was released due to a clash with an American band. Prior to the release of this they had a couple of EPs make the Australian charts and with this album they were expected to break in the U.S. All of this hype was well deserved because this is, quite simply, a great hard rock album. There are no filler tracks and quite a few of the songs are still great 23 years later.

Unfortunately it appears that pre-existing drug problems took their toll. After the release of this they toured America for nine months, came back home, made a second album that no-one bought, and promptly disappeared. The singer seemed to struggle with drug problems for about 15 years - he would always be spotted riding a bike around Melbourne but would never talk to anyone. The female bass player and another member of the band moved to northern New South Wales and are still there ... basically that's a euphemism that means they have been stoned for twenty years.

Apparently the singer did recover and returned to music about 10 years ago but hasn't had much success. The drummer is the only one still in the industry.

It's all quite sad because I still love this band and this is one of my favourite albums.

Highlights: There are quite a few but I'll just list a couple that have video clips. First, my favourite song - Mary Mary:

Dream Alone - a song from an EP released before this album that was also included. Actually made it to number 30 on the Australian singles charts (song starts about 30 seconds in):

It made me nostalgic listening to this album again after so many years. Good memories

Dark Side Of The Moon (Pink Floyd)

Wish You Were Here (Pink Floyd)

Open Up And Say... Ahh! (Poison)

Magical Mystery Tour (The Beatles)

Paranoid (Black Sabbath)

Blizzard Of Ozz (Ozzy Osbourne)

Foreigner (Foreigner)

Boy (U2)

The Joshua Tree (U2)

Marquee Moon (Television)

McCartney (Paul McCartney)

Let It Be (The Beatles)

Number Of The Beast (Iron Maiden)

More Songs About Buildings And Food (Talking Heads)

Ready Or Not (Lou Gramm)

John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band (John Lennon)

Imagine (John Lennon)

[/rating]

TylerDurden, I'll have to disagree with you on those Lennon albums, buddy.

Plastic Ono Band is a solid 5 for me.
I'd give Imagine a 4