Mojo Filter's Top 50 Bands

Tools    

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
I'm not a huge fan, but I do own Synchronicity on vinyl and I like it well enough.

Sting's solo stuff has some good albums/songs as well.

13. R.E.M.

R.E.M. is considered to be one of the pioneers of the alternative rock genre. In fact, bands like Nirvana consider the Atlanta, Georgia group to be their inspiration. It's only fitting that they are included in my list of Top 20 Bands. Together, Michael Stipe, Peter Buck, Mike Mills, and Bill Berry have written and produced some of the greatest songs over the past 4 decades. In fact, there are too many great songs by R.E.M. that I could barely select my favorite songs.

My favorite songs:
Talk About The Passion
So. Central Rain (I'm Sorry)
The One I Love
It's The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)
Losing My Religion
Drive
Sweetness Follows
Nightswimming
Man On The Moon

Everybody Hurts
Crush With Eyeliner
Find The River

Daysleeper
The Great Beyond
Imitation Of Life

What's The Frequency, Kenneth?

My favorite album:
Automatic For The People

R.E.M. is fantastic. I love so much of their music but Frequency Kenneth might be my favorite. Interesting that is the video you posted. Not a song you hear mentioned a lot, I love it.

R.E.M. is fantastic. I love so much of their music but Frequency Kenneth might be my favorite. Interesting that is the video you posted. Not a song you hear mentioned a lot, I love it.

I could've posted any video by them -they're all awesome, but I chose to post this one, because, as you said, it's not a song you hear mentioned frequently as a great REM song.

Losing My Religion, on the other hand, is a song that's mentioned a lot, and is at the top of my favorite REM songs. It's just one of those songs that never get old. Incredible video, too.

12. GENESIS
I would be a liar if I said I was a fan of English progressive rock band Genesis when Peter Gabriel was their frontman. I mean no disrespect to Gabriel, though. I believe he is a great musician and I love his solo material. However, when he left the band in the late 70's and Phil Collins, who is by far one of the greatest drummers and singer/songwriters of all time, took over the reigns of being the lead singer and drummer, the band, that also consisted of talented musicians Mike Rutherford and Tony Banks, was elevated into the stratosphere. I grew up listening to Phil Collins, both as a solo artist and the leader of Genesis, and I loved everything he did.

My favorite songs:
Follow You Follow Me
Misunderstanding
Turn It On Again
Mama
Home By The Sea
Taking It All Too Hard
Land Of Confusion
Invisible Touch
In Too Deep
No Son Of Mine
Hold On My Heart

That's All

My favorite album:
Genesis

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
I like their album Green and a few other songs, but I'm not a massive fan of R.E.M.

Genesis, however, gets a huge thumbs up. Doesn't matter if it's Collins and Gabriel, both eras are equally great to me. It saddens me that they just missed out on your top ten, but I'm glad it's on your list anyway.

11. GUNS N' ROSES
One of the bands that I wish I can see live in my lifetime is Guns N' Roses in its original lineup, including frontman Axl Rose, who in my opinion is one of the greatest vocalists in music history, and lead guitarist Slash, who is the coolest and one of the best guitarists in music history. Within a short time span of about 5 years, between 1987 and 1992, these legendary American rockers ruled the music world with their high-octane and powerful smash hit singles. Unlike all the other 80's hair bands, Guns N' Roses wrote some seriously grand epics that elevated them to a whole new level of greatness. Recently, there's been reports that Axl and Slash, who've been in a very public feud since they parted ways more than 20 years ago, are on talking terms again. Hopefully, my wish of seeing them live will finally be realized.

My favorite songs:
Paradise City
Welcome To The Jungle
Sweet Child O' Mine
Mr. Brownstone
Nightrain
Patience
Don't Cry
You Could Be Mine

November Rain

My favorite album:
Appetite For Destruction

I like their album Green and a few other songs, but I'm not a massive fan of R.E.M.

Genesis, however, gets a huge thumbs up. Doesn't matter if it's Collins and Gabriel, both eras are equally great to me. It saddens me that they just missed out on your top ten, but I'm glad it's on your list anyway.
Thanks for the feedback, Tyler

Trust me, compiling this list was not an easy task for me. Pretty much any band in my Top 20 deserve to be in my Top 10, but that wouldn't be possible

Hope you like Gun N' Roses, and what's coming next in my actual Top 10...

Here's a recap of Numbers 50 - 11

50. BON JOVI
49. HUEY LEWIS & THE NEWS
48. COLDPLAY
47. ROXETTE
46. GOO GOO DOLLS
45. AIR SUPPLY
44. SOUNDGARDEN
43. SUPERTRAMP
42. ALICE IN CHAINS
41. SURVIVOR

40. STONE TEMPLE PILOTS
39. MATCHBOX TWENTY
38. DURAN DURAN
37. AEROSMITH
36. HALL & OATES
35. THE WHO
34. THE CRANBERRIES
33. CREEDANCE CLEARWATER REVIVAL
32. RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS
31. REO SPEEDWAGON

30. METALLICA
29. TOTO
28. HEART
27. DEF LEPPARD
26. SCORPIONS
25. FOREIGNER
24. QUEEN
23. LED ZEPPELIN
22. PEARL JAM
21. TEARS FOR FEARS

20. RADIOHEAD
19. SIMON AND GARFUNKEL
18. GREEN DAY
17. THE EAGLES
16. TOM PETTY AND THE HEARTBREAKERS
15. FLEETWOOD MAC
14. THE POLICE
13. R.E.M.
12. GENESIS
11. GUNS N' ROSES

The long-awaited Top 10 will be coming shortly...stay tuned

10. THE ROLLING STONES
There's no way I could compile my list of favorite rock bands without including The Rolling Stones. Now, I'll have to admit, I was never a huge follower of the legendary group, have never seen them live, and do not own all their albums, but a career spanning over 50 years, loads of classic rock songs, and Mick Jagger, Keith Richards and company reaching the age of 70 and still releasing new material and touring the world to huge sold-out crowds guaranteed them a special place in my Top 50.

My favorite songs:
Paint It Black
Time Is On My Side
Heart Of Stone
(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
Street Fighting Man
Angie
Sympathy For The Devil
Under My Thumb
Wild Horses
Beast Of Burden
Miss You
Out Of Tears
Anybody Seen My Baby

Gimme Shelter

My favorite album:
Greatest Hits

9. BEE GEES
The Bee Gees are another group I'd like to credit my parents for getting into at an early age. Many people forget that before the legendary Australian band became the Kings of Disco in the 70's, and before the high-pitched falsettos, brothers Barry, Maurice, and Robin Gibb were a group of Beatles-inspired soft rock musicians who wrote and sang conventional and straight-out rock songs. I don't mean to discredit their disco songs as I believe some of their best material came out during that era, and I just love Saturday Night Fever.

My favorite songs:
New York Mining Disaster 1941
I Started A Joke
To Love Somebody
Massachusetts
I've Gotta Get A Message To You
How Can You Mend A Broken Heart
Fanny (Be Tender With My Love)
How Deep Is Your Love
More Than A Woman
Love You Inside Out
You Win Again
Paying The Price The Love
Alone

Too Much Heaven

My favorite album:
The Very Best Of The Bee Gees

The Stones and The Bee Gees, seen them both and love them both.

You're one lucky guy! I would have loved to see Bee Gees. I still have a chance to see The Stones. I hear their concerts are a blast!

I'll be posting number 8 shortly. Trying to get this list over with quickly so I can move on to other lists

8. JOURNEY
There's just simply no way you can discuss the greatest 80's rock bands without mentioning Journey. The American stadium rock group was graced with the amazing voice of Steve Perry, who in my opinion is THE greatest vocalist in music history, the incendiary guitar work of Neal Schon, who in my opinion is one of the most underrated guitarists in music history, and the captivating keyboards of Jonathon Cain. Together, these guys wrote some of the best songs of the last 5 decades. I just hope Steve Perry and the rest of the group can patch up their differences that has kept them apart for almost 20 years and hit the road again, as I would love to see them in concert.

My favorite songs:
Lights
Who's Crying Now
Don't Stop Believin'
Still They Ride
Faithfully
Send Her My Love
Only The Young
When You Love A Woman

Separate Ways (Worlds Apart)

My favorite album:
Greatest Hits

7. U2
Ever since they emerged in the early 80's, Irish rock band U2 has been making songs that speak to the minds and hearts of listeners. I like to call them a historically significant band simply because they've made some very important politically-charged anthems that were specifically about the conflict in Northern Ireland, but were also universal messages of peace. I don't believe we've had a band like U2 that has had such a cultural impact since The Beatles. And not since the Fab Four has a band of four individuals (lead singer Bono, guitarist The Edge, bassist Adam Clayton, and drummer Larry Mullen) that have each managed to gain superstar status. Of course, not all their songs were political or social commentaries. They also had their power ballads and pop songs over the years. I was a casual fan of U2 throughout most of my life, and it wasn't until I watched their 3D concert show at the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland about 5 years ago that I was truly mind-blown by their long list of classics and true greatness.

My favorite songs:
I Will Follow
New Year's Day
Pride (In The Name Of Love)
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bad
Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
With Or Without You
Bullet The Blue Sky
Desire
One
Numb