1950s Sci Fi/Creature B Movie Flicks HoF

Tools    

I'd like to nominate Destination Moon (1950) - one of the more realistic sci-fi's of the time with some ironic prophesies toward the real moon shots.
Good one, I might have watched that on your recommendation sometime in the past. I've been meaning to watch it again.

So that's two more tasty choices for us to pick from. These were just added to the 1st post:

The Blob (1958)
Director: Irvin S Yeaworth Jr
Length: 1h 26min
Nominated by: Mesmerized

Destination Moon (1950)

Director: Irving Pichel
Length: 1h 32m
Nominated by: Captain Steel

Not exactly "realistic" but it's enjoyable, one of my favorite creature features, directed by Jack Arnold in his early career monster phase - Tarantula, 1955. It has John Agar getting to the bottom of things, Mara Corday looking appealing, Leo G Carroll for wrinkles as well as an uncredited early appearance by Clint Eastwood as a fighter plane pilot.

Not exactly "realistic" but it's enjoyable, one of my favorite creature features, directed by Jack Arnold in his early career monster phase - Tarantula, 1955. It has John Agar getting to the bottom of things, Mara Corday looking appealing, Leo G Carroll for wrinkles as well as an uncredited early appearance by Clint Eastwood as a fighter plane pilot.
Cool! Yet another neat sci fi creature flick that I had planned on watching. You guys must have read my mind when you picked your noms or maybe you have one of these nifty helmets

Looking forward to a couple of these. The only one I've seen, other than The Tingler, is The Blob. It is fun, but I prefer the remake.

For anyone interested, I had an article published on Leonard Maltin's website where I compared both the original and remake.

ORIGINAL VS. REMAKE: THE BLOB (1958) VS. THE BLOB (1988)

Enjoy!

You must be very young.

Thank you!

But seriously, I'm an 80's kid, so I guess the remake was more akin to my sensibilities. In that article I get a bit into why I prefer the remake.

There are other similar cases where it's not that clear. For example, I'm kinda on the fence between both The Fly films. Then again, those are two very different films, so I like both for very different reasons.

...I'm an 80's kid, so I guess the remake was more akin to my sensibilities. In that article I get a bit into why I prefer the remake.
I can understand that. Now I love 1950s stuff but I'm not a 50's kid, I wasn't even born then...I just like how in the 50s sci-fi b movies blossomed and were like everywhere.

There are other similar cases where it's not that clear. For example, I'm kinda on the fence between both The Fly films. Then again, those are two very different films, so I like both for very different reasons.
The remake of The Fly is IMO one of the few truly great remakes. Though the original had a lot of heart with a lot more going for it than just a fly creature. Both are rather sad and effective.

I can understand that. Now I love 1950s stuff but I'm not a 50's kid, I wasn't even born then...I just like how in the 50s sci-fi b movies blossomed and were like everywhere.
Same. I've always been very interested in these kinds of films, which is why I'm looking forward to dig into some of these.

Same. I've always been very interested in these kinds of films, which is why I'm looking forward to dig into some of these.
Will this be a future Movie Loot episode subject, possibly?

How about "gog" (1954) a murder mystery that takes place in a robotics lab?
I have Gog, but have never seen it. A lot of these 50s sci-fi/creature films are in the public domain so easy to find. Were you choosing Gog as your nomination? Or just asking if we've seen it?

I was going to nominate this one or Rodan but I went with a Hammer film instead.

I have Gog, but have never seen it. A lot of these 50s sci-fi/creature films are in the public domain so easy to find. Were you choosing Gog as your nomination? Or just asking if we've seen it?
Yeah it is my nomination and no I haven't seen it. I think it is available on Prime streaming.

Will this be a future Movie Loot episode subject, possibly?
Possibly. Every topic is a possible loot!