@people who didn't love la la land - have you ever been in love?

Tools    

I think it's probably the most endearing love story I've ever witnessed. If someone didn't like it, I'm wondering if it's because they didn't relate to the love story. If x person been in love, what is it about this love story that they didn't get into.
I'd say venture to another part of the country or downtown sometime and that may answer your question.

I think it's probably the most endearing love story I've ever witnessed. If someone didn't like it, I'm wondering if it's because they didn't relate to the love story. If x person been in love, what is it about this love story that they didn't get into.
Spoiler alert***

I gave it a 5/5...but I didn't find the love story endearing, I found it brutally honest...in that a couple in love might not have enough love to stay together....and in that in order to make it big in Hollywood a person might have to sacrifice everything, which was the theme of the movie.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Not sure what that is but it's not how I'd leave the house...the dirt under those nails...yukkk!

Someone else on imdb brought that up but I can't remember what the conclusion was. The OP claimed wardrobe dept were lazy. Urmmm I sorta think that was intentional.

Just finished watching it for the fourth time. Probably the most beautiful movie I've ever seen, it keeps crawling up my all time list. I've watched wayyyy too many movies, but none of them have moved me the way this one did. I see people harp over Ryan Gosling's singing not being perfectly in tune, or whatever else, but I feel like that misses the point of the movie. So I was wondering. Did those of you who didn't care for it not relate to the emotion of the film? Do you feel like you've ever had something passionate/pure/deep? If you have but the love story still didn't resonate, why do you think it didn't?
I've watched it twice and love it and plan watching it again and I think anyone who didn't like it is someone who just doesn't like musicals...no matter how good a musical is, there are filmgoers out there who just can't get behind the concept of a movie musical no matter how well it's made and they will come up with a million reasons for not liking the movie, except for "I just don't like musicals."
I'm one that just comes out and says "I hate musicals".

I am too but generalizing like that is pretty ridiculous. It makes it out as if musical fans are all one big agreeing entity which just isn't true. I'm sure there's popular/acclaimed Musicals that Gideon doesn't like and as i said some of the films biggest detractors from what i've seen are big musical fans so that argument collapses on itself. It's like me telling my friend who like 9 of his top 10 are horrors and who watches horrors more than anything else that he doesn't like horrors because he doesn't like The Shining. It's a pretty horrific and frankly dumb assertion.

I noticed those dirty nails too when I watched the movie. It's weird.
It is weird, and I've been noticing sloppy little things like this for a while lately in movies. I know it comes off as nitpicking but it's almost as if this level of carelessness has become a fixture, even if the rest of the film may be technically sound.

That makes me think it wasn't an accident. That makes me think it's psychology. Has she been gardening? What ever is under those nails?!

Kind of a transparent and tired thing to me. I guess when charisma ceases to exist, you always have dirty fingernails. LOL!

I'm just being stupid...

No.

It is weird, and I've been noticing sloppy little things like this for a while lately in movies. I know it comes off as nitpicking but it's almost as if this level of carelessness has become a fixture, even if the rest of the film may be technically sound.

That makes me think it wasn't an accident. That makes me think it's psychology. Has she been gardening? What ever is under those nails?!

Kind of a transparent and tired thing to me. I guess when charisma ceases to exist, you always have dirty fingernails. LOL!

I'm just being stupid...

No.
I just saw it as her being so obsessed with breaking into loopy land she forgot to clean her nails. Worked for me in that sense. I don't think it was an oversight by wardrobe dept.

I just saw it as her being so obsessed with breaking into loopy land she forgot to clean her nails. Worked for me in that sense. I don't think it was an oversight by wardrobe dept.
If that is the case, Dani8 then the screenwriter must have had some serious time to kill writing in dirty fingernails part of the story.

If that is the case, Dani8 then the screenwriter must have had some serious time to kill writing in dirty fingernails part of the story.
I cant see any reason for it being a goof. I mean surely Emma would have said Hey wash me bloody nails, ya goose.

I cant see any reason for it being a goof. I mean surely Emma would have said Hey wash me bloody nails, ya goose.
True...maybe.

Or they used a stand in. And the stand in was sloppy and the cinematographer was out to lunch...or should I say, the 2nd unit director's camera person haha.

Whatever the real reason is..the director/editor never re-shot it so....scummy hands. It's no continuity mistake but at least it's disgusting hygiene, right? Am I right?!

True...maybe.

Or they used a stand in. And the stand in was sloppy and the cinematographer was out to lunch...or should I say, the 2nd unit director's camera person haha.

Whatever the real reason is..the director/editor never re-shot it so....scummy hands. It's no continuity mistake but at least it's disgusting hygiene, right? Am I right?!

It IS disgusting. I dont know why Emma didnt demand it be edited out, so that brings me back to my initial interpretation it was done for a reason. Maybe she was eating melted chocolate with her fingers while having makeup done.

I will say, however, I have gone out without realising my nails are stained by turmeric and I look like a chain smoker. It's very embarrassing. Especially if I have Mr D's man cold and start hacking up a lung while with people.

It IS disgusting. I dont know why Emma didnt demand it be edited out, so that brings me back to my initial interpretation it was done for a reason. Maybe she was eating melted chocolate with her fingers while having makeup done.

I will say, however, I have gone out without realising my nails are stained by turmeric and I look like a chain smoker. It's very embarrassing. Especially if I have Mr D's man cold and start hacking up a lung while with people.
I won't hold that against you, Dani. You're a real woman in the real world. However..in a fantasy film that banks on transporting us to fantasy, why would we want to be snapped back into a harsh reality of a set of fingernails that look like they were digging for clams?

Would Ridley Scott let that slide? I think not!

I won't hold that against you, Dani. You're a real woman in the real world. However..in a fantasy film that banks on transporting us to fantasy, why would we want to be snapped back into a harsh reality of a set of fingernails that look like they were digging for clams?

Would Ridley Scott let that slide? I think not!

Maybe one of the film makers is a buddhist. Buddhists believe nothing is perfect except buddha so everything they make hs a tiny mistake made on purpose.

I dont know, buddy. I'm very curious about this. At times like this I wish imdb boards were still alive so I could go back, check the thread, and win three gold stars for the morning.
And then I remember *cue scary score*

Maybe one of the film makers is a buddhist. Buddhists believe nothing is perfect except buddha so everything they make hs a tiny mistake made on purpose.

I dont know, buddy. I'm very curious about this. At times like this I wish imdb boards were still alive so I could go back, check the thread, and win three gold stars for the morning.
And then I remember *cue scary score*
I've never participated on IMDB or had seen anything but I think we got this, sister. Between you and I..we can crack this!

You say Buddhism, I say Mind Games. You're George Harrison and I'm John Lennon.

I've never participated on IMDB or had seen anything but I think we got this, sister. Between you and I..we can crack this!

You say Buddhism, I say Mind Games. You're George Harrison and I'm John Lennon.
You're so much fun, Joel. This convo has got me checking out my nails like you would not believe.

You're so much fun, Joel. This convo has got me checking out my nails like you would not believe.
Me, too. Guess what mine are like? Go ahead, guess. I'll guess yours. Yours are clean for the most part but a little long so there might be a speck here or there.

How about mine? Hit me!

Me, too. Guess what mine are like? Go ahead, guess. I'll guess yours. Yours are clean for the most part but a little long so there might be a speck here or there.

How about mine? Hit me!
Mine are short, nd have coffee granules under them. Yours are short because you're a musician, and spotless.

Sorry for the hijack, mlaturno. You know I lubs ya, man. And I really did like this movie; I just didnt LOVE it, mostly because I felt sad at how shallow loopy land is.

@people who don't like Robocop?

Just finished watching it for the fourth time. Probably the most violent movie I've ever seen, it keeps crawling up my all time list. I've watched wayyyy too many movies, but none of them have enthralled me the way this one did. I see people harp over the stop motion animation of Enforcement Droid Series 209 not having aged well, or whatever else, but I feel like that misses the point of the movie. So I was wondering. Did those of you who didn't care for it not relate to the bloodlust of the film? Do you feel like you've ever done something brutal/cruel/inhuman? If you have but the story of a robotic cop on a killing spree still didn't resonate, why do you think it didn't?