@people who didn't love la la land - have you ever been in love?

Tools    

Just finished watching it for the fourth time. Probably the most beautiful movie I've ever seen, it keeps crawling up my all time list. I've watched wayyyy too many movies, but none of them have moved me the way this one did. I see people harp over Ryan Gosling's singing not being perfectly in tune, or whatever else, but I feel like that misses the point of the movie. So I was wondering. Did those of you who didn't care for it not relate to the emotion of the film? Do you feel like you've ever had something passionate/pure/deep? If you have but the love story still didn't resonate, why do you think it didn't?

This might just do nobody any good.
I wondered if may have been too earnest, which is a weird argument, i know, but maybe audiences are wired for something more post-modern these days.

It's a lovely examination of compromise.

The most loathsome of all goblins
*teleports behind you*

Sorry to break it ya kid, but there's no such thing as love. It's just chemicals in your brain. Heh, nothing personal.

*unsheathes katana*

Welcome to the human race...
Not sure if Blix is being serious or not. It's too hard to tell.

The truth is in here
Just because it sends chemicals to your brain doesn't mean it's fake. Any kind of emotion has a reaction to the brain.

I didn't LOVE La La Land, I liked it. But I have been in love. I actually preferred Moonlight however, that was a very touching movie.

Just because it sends chemicals to your brain doesn't mean it's fake. Any kind of emotion has a reaction to the brain.

I didn't LOVE La La Land, I liked it. But I have been in love. I actually preferred Moonlight however, that was a very touching movie.
The person who posted that was just joking.

Why do you think you didn't love it?

The truth is in here
I thought it was pretty sweet with likable lead characters, it just didn't constantly engage me. I love the first half, then in the second half it starts to drag a bit in some scenes not to mention I couldn't stand the ending.
WARNING: spoilers below
They give you the happy ending first, then give the sad ending right after to suddenly leave you feeling cold. I know that was the point, but when fed with a tragic ending I want to be moved, not go "Oh come on, they could easily have stayed together anyway!". I thought the ending was cynical, not bittersweet.

I didn't like La La Land because the story was not dramatic at all.

Welcome to the human race...
There was this thread where another user seemed very serious about the "love-is-only-chemicals" thing. Even throwing in a fedora/katana picture still makes me think of Blix's post as Poe's Law in action.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I didnt love it. Not sure what that has to do with my life experiences If you loved it that's great but implying by your very question that those who dont have never experienced a particular emotion is pretty silly.

I might not have loved LLL but I do love that review, CR.

I gave it a
. And I have been in love. Personally, I found the entire story to be so generic. There was nothing unique about it, just some bland rehash of every love story we've ever heard. It reminded me of a high-budget Hallmark movie; very colorful and cheerful but everything is just surface-level deep.

Just finished watching it for the fourth time. Probably the most beautiful movie I've ever seen, it keeps crawling up my all time list. I've watched wayyyy too many movies, but none of them have moved me the way this one did. I see people harp over Ryan Gosling's singing not being perfectly in tune, or whatever else, but I feel like that misses the point of the movie. So I was wondering. Did those of you who didn't care for it not relate to the emotion of the film? Do you feel like you've ever had something passionate/pure/deep? If you have but the love story still didn't resonate, why do you think it didn't?
I've watched it twice and love it and plan watching it again and I think anyone who didn't like it is someone who just doesn't like musicals...no matter how good a musical is, there are filmgoers out there who just can't get behind the concept of a movie musical no matter how well it's made and they will come up with a million reasons for not liking the movie, except for "I just don't like musicals."

I've watched it twice and love it and plan watching it again and I think anyone who didn't like it is someone who just doesn't like musicals...no matter how good a musical is, there are filmgoers out there who just can't get behind the concept of a movie musical no matter how well it's made and they will come up with a million reasons for not liking the movie, except for "I just don't like musicals."
I liked it and I dont like musicals generally. I didnt like it on my first attempt because I just didnt like him and walked out during the scene where he was with his sister in his crappy apartment. Got prodded to give it another go and enjoyed it. I dont love it, but I dont dislike it. That, however, has nothing to do with whether or not I have loved. I find that quite bizarre.

I liked it and I dont like musicals generally. I didnt like it on my first attempt because I just didnt like him and walked out during the scene where he was with his sister in his crappy apartment. Got prodded to give it another go and enjoyed it. I dont love it, but I dont dislike it. That, however, has nothing to do with whether or not I have loved. I find that quite bizarre.
What do you mean, "has nothing to do with whether or not I have loved"?

What do you mean, "has nothing to do with whether or not I have loved"?
The OP is making the assumption that anyone who doesnt love this movie has not loved. That's rather quirky.

That's kind of odd.
I know.
Does that also mean that if I love Hannibal Lecter as a villain I also want to eat people? Lemme ponder this.