RIP Cindy Williams

Tools    

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"

Cindy Williams died after a brief illness at the age of 75. Another Hollywood icon gone.
https://ew.com/tv/cindy-williams-dea...-shirley-star/

Oh man, I had such a crush on her during her Laverne & Shirley days. I liked her in anything I saw her in. Godspeed, Cindy.

Oh man, I had such a crush on her during her Laverne & Shirley days. I liked her in anything I saw her in. Godspeed, Cindy.
Me too...and I liked her in every thing I've seen her in since I was a teen and first watched American Graffiti...And as some know Laverne & Shirley is my favorite TV show.

Don't worry someone will hand off the reboot reimagining for "contemporary audiences" to someone like Mindy Kaling soon. They'll keep the spirit going, I'm sure.

Yes, much like Mindy has "kept the spirit going" on HBOMAX with Velma from Scooby-Doo by completely changing "the spirit." I await with bated breath for the new Laverne & Shirley.
🤮

Yes, much like Mindy has "kept the spirit going" on HBOMAX with Velma from Scooby-Doo by completely changing "the spirit." I await with bated breath for the new Laverne & Shirley.
🤮
They might reboot Laverne & Shirley but there will never be another like the original.

The truth is in here
I loved nearly all of the characters, but Shirley was my favorite. Cindy's charm, likability and wit made her truly unforgettable, especially in the friendship with Laverne. American Graffiti is a classic too, and she and Ron Howard made for a wonderful couple.
WARNING: spoilers below
(We don't need to talk about how much More American Graffiti ruined that)
I regret not checking out The Conversation yet, but will make sure to do so. Bingo might be light fun as well.

Rest in peace to a wonderful actor and a wonderful woman.

They might reboot Laverne & Shirley but there will never be another like the original.
I think Corax was making a snide joke, either about the way seemingly everything is getting rebooted or the fact that we have a thread at all about celebrities passing away, given what Corax said about the way we "mourn" dead celebrities on MoFo, and given this comment in the Lisa Marie Presley thread:

I am sure she was a great person and it is sad when anyone dies relatively young. That stated, when I curl up like a cockroach after my cardiac arrest I have no doubt I will enter the great beyond veiled in anonymity. It's not a good thing. It's not a bad thing. Just a curious thing. We mourn those we've never met, but scarcely note the passing our neighbor down the street.
Anyway, once again, love the original Laverne & Shirley and Godspeed to Cindy Williams.

Anyone recall how the "Shirley Feeney" who originally appeared on Happy Days was a far different character than she was on Laverne & Shirley?

In their first appearance the girls were presented as friends of Fonzie's (some quick "dates" he managed to scrounge up) and Shirley seemed a very loose woman. With the production of their own series, Shirley's character was made the direct opposite of what she first appeared: the new Shirley upbeat, positive, highly moral & innocent... an honest, hard-working, girl next door type.

I don't believe there was ever any explanation provided for her radical change (just as there was never any explanation as to what happened to "Chuck").

I think Corax was making a snide joke,
Correct.

either about the way seemingly everything is getting rebooted or the fact that we have a thread at all about celebrities passing away
The former, not the latter.

I really hope they leave this property alone. A thing is of it's time. Laverne and Shirley doesn't really belong to the new generation.

So sorry to hear this...Michael McKean seems to be the only surviving cast member of this show. Loved her in The Conversation and a memorable guest appearance on Law and Order SVU...RIP

It's probably best if snide jokes are left out of memorial threads.

The joke was not at Cindy's expense. On the contrary, it was a lament. Her role, her show, her moment, will not be "remade" and only damage would be done if one were to try. And I think they just might try. I sense, more and more, that irrevocable sense of loss that comes with a substantive change in culture. With her loss, I am myself a bit more forgotten. If I, for example, invoked the intonation and idiom of Lenny and Squiggy who would still catch the reference to Laverne and Shirley? She is a missing neuron that used to fire actively in our collective zeitgeist. At any rate, we all mourn in our own way. Some of us have gallows humor. If, however, anyone here was an acquaintance of Williams, I offer my sincere condolences.

I loved nearly all of the characters, but Shirley was my favorite. Cindy's charm, likability and wit made her truly unforgettable, especially in the friendship with Laverne. American Graffiti is a classic too, and she and Ron Howard made for a wonderful couple.
I regret not checking out The Conversation yet, but will make sure to do so. Bingo might be light fun as well.

Rest in peace to a wonderful actor and a wonderful woman.
I highly recommend The Conversation...it's my favorite Francis Ford Coppola film.

Realize that I'm in the vast minority here, but I loved the sequel. Just how all the stories played out.