2018 was a great year. Which one was your favorite movie?

Tools    

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I guess I'm the only one that loved Beautiful Boy because that is my one so far. I'm surprised a lot of people loved this year. Not a horrible year, but I think it paled in comparison to 2017 and 2016 (of what I've seen)

Welcome to the human race...
Shoplifters (Hirokazu Koreeda)
BlacKkKlansman (Spike Lee)
Cold War (Pawel Pawlikowski)
Climax (Gaspar Noé)
Suspiria (Luca Guadagnino)
Ash is Purest White (Zhangke Jia)
A Star is Born (Looks promising)
Bad Times at the El Royale (Looks pretty cool)

Feel free to elaborate on on of these films if you've seen one. I'd love to read some more opinions about them.
Since you asked, these are the ones I saw...

Shoplifters is about what you expect a modern Palme d'Or winner to be - seems like a good chunk of the recent winners have revolved around marginalised folks to one degree or another and this time it's an impoverished surrogate family trying to get by. Great if you're into these kinds of subdued, vaguely comical slice-of-life movies.

BlacKkKlansman once held my #1 spot but it's been dropping in my estimation a bit as I reckon with not only its historical inaccuracies but also its self-contradictory political agenda that give credence to the idea that it's one of those "ineffectual liberal back-patting" kind of movies. Not to say it isn't fun or uncomfortable viewing but I do question how deep it really is.

Cold War is also very good. I like how it's one of those slow, patient, distinctly European dramas that stretches across years and countries without resorting to colour photography or non-diegetic music, plus it manages so much in less than 90 minutes.

Climax plays like a more obvious Suspiria remake than the actual Suspiria remake and it's pretty much what you'd expect from Noé at this point - in fact, I'd probably call this his tamest film. I mean that in a somewhat complimentary way as he keeps it short and doesn't bother with his usual level of aggravating shock value or prolonged navel-gazing. It might well be my favourite of his, though that's not saying much about the others.

Suspiria obviously doesn't live up to its source, though it gets points for trying something different. The length works against it a bit

Ash is Purest White is another good example of a slow and deliberate drama - now that I think about it, it has shades of Cold War (years-long tale of a very complicated romance) andShoplifters (centres around committing petty crimes and schemes just to survive).

A Star Is Born is definitely the weakest of the bunch, but not without its bright spots.

Bad Times at the El Royale is a fairly lightweight but ultimately enjoyable crime drama, nothing overly amazing about it as a whole but it certainly has style to spare and a solid core ensemble.

One recommendation I do have for when it hits wide release is Christian Petzold's Transit. Definitely one of my favourites from this year.

I guess I'm the only one that loved Beautiful Boy because that is my one so far. I'm surprised a lot of people loved this year. Not a horrible year, but I think it paled in comparison to 2017 and 2016 (of what I've seen)
In terms of mainstream releases anyway it wasn't very inspiring, I probably went to the cinema less often than any year this decade despite seeing Infinity War 3 times with different people.

Besides that probably The Favourite and You Were Never Really Here are the best I'v seen although I'v a good deal still to watch.

From few that i saw so far its really strong year: First Reformed, They Shall not Grow Old, Burning, Roma, What a Wonderful Family! 3: My Wife My Life, An Elephant Sitting Still
Hard choice as things feel equally great but i'll go with first reformed or an elephant sitting still for now.

There few strong contender that i've yet to seen like lanthimos's the favourite but koreeda's shoplifters is advantagely to be my frontrunner because i always like almost everything by the auteur.

Watched Vice the other day, easily the second best English movie to come out this year. The Favourite still pips it according to me.

Has anyone seen If Beale Street Could Talk yet?

I saw Beale Street this past weekend, and it was good albeit underwhelming I'll say.

'You Might Be the Killer' was easily my favorite of 2018.

More of the front runners chalked off the list, but I have to say, the Favourite is still the one for me. A Star is Born is good but not great. Widows is just a good movie. The only one left now is Roma, I plan to finish it this weekend, then move on to the foreign film categories.

Whey hey my first post on this site. So far I'd have to go with Upgrade as a contender for best movie of '18 but if we allowing documentaries it would have to be M.I.A. Maya/Matangi such a great inside into a great artist and also highlights the mainstream media and their underhand tactics to silence someone bringing serious issues to light.