How would you rate animated movies?

Tools    

Di je Karlo?
I will never understand what you people see in that movie.
Have you tried asking?
I have, as a matter of fact. The praise I've seen for Spirited Away is some of the most vague and non-descriptive I've ever seen.

Welcome to the human race...
I guess I have to take you at your word on those explanations you speak of, though I do wonder if it's a question of a person actively convincing you to like the film or just explaining why they personally like it without trying to change your mind. I'm not entirely sure what would be harder to do.

Di je Karlo?
I guess I have to take you at your word on those explanations you speak of, though I do wonder if it's a question of a person actively convincing you to like the film or just explaining why they personally like it without trying to change your mind. I'm not entirely sure what would be harder to do.
I'm not asking anyone to change my mind. I understand that movies are subjective and that I won't suddenly start liking a movie just because someone told me to. I just find it strange how it appears on so many "best animated movies of all time" lists but is never given any concrete praise.

I have, as a matter of fact. The praise I've seen for Spirited Away is some of the most vague and non-descriptive I've ever seen.
I don't know. I've seen people write essay length stuff about Spirited away. It has been interpreted and analyzed to death. What sources did you use?

Di je Karlo?
I don't know. I've seen people write essay length stuff about Spirited away. It has been interpreted and analyzed to death. What sources did you use?
Mostly internet forums.

Welcome to the human race...
I'm not asking anyone to change my mind. I understand that movies are subjective and that I won't suddenly start liking a movie just because someone told me to. I just find it strange how it appears on so many "best animated movies of all time" lists but is never given any concrete praise.
Then it depends on your definition of "concrete praise", which I'm guessing means something more specific than the usual generic superlatives about how it's visually breathtaking or whatever (even though the visuals really are a big part of it due to the mixture of craftsmanship and imagination). Besides that, it's a well-told fairytale that is able to handle significant changes in pace (mixing frantic adventures with slower contemplations) while also touching on coming-of-age themes in ways that reflect not just questions of personal and historical identity (the protagonist has to retrieve her name to free herself, the primary location is an old-fashioned Japanese bathhouse, etc.) but also treat them with more consideration than the simplistic lesson-learning platitudes of so many Western titles. I mean, there is a lot going on here and this is just a broad summary of why it's so popular - as jal90 noted, plenty of people have written at length about why it's considered a classic so it's one thing to not think too much of it yourself but it's not like it's hard to find such different opinions either.

Keep your station clean - OR I WILL KILL YOU
90-100 - Wall-E, The Incredibles, Ponyo, Spirited Away, Aladdin, Lion King, Your Name, Ratatouille, Inside Out
80-89 - Monsters Inc, Beauty and the Beast, Little Mermaid, Howl's Moving Castle
70-79 - Big Hero 6, Moana, A Bug's Life
60-69 - The Good DInosaur, Fantasia, Cinderella (actually, a lot of the pre-Disney renaissance films would fall on here)
0-59 - Minions, Emoji Movie, Cars 2,

On a 100/100 to 1/100 well....

97 - Spirted Away
I will never understand what you people see in that movie.
Princess Mononoke is the one that baffles me.

Not into any of them at all.. never have been able to watch anything like this since the old cartoons from yesteryear....