Your Most Controversial Film Opinions?

Tools    

Prometheus and Alien: Covenant are worthy additions to the Alien franchise (the latter might be the best film Ridley's done since Thelma and Louise) and I actively look forward to a third installment in this prequel trilogy.
Wouldn't rank them that highly but both films weren't without their merits for me

Holy Grail
is the only genuinely great Monty Python movie - Life of Brian may have more intellectual and cinematic ambition but that just means it falls shorter of what it tries to accomplish..
Certainly my favourite by along way although I think Brian and Meaning of Life represent much more of a shift in style away from the TV series, Holy Grail could almost have been an extended episode with a higher budget.

The World's End
is my favourite Cornetto.
I might agree with you there, certainly I think its the strongest of the three dramatically, switching the Pegg/Frost roles works very well indeed.

Gangs of New York
is my favourite Scorsese/DiCaprio collaboration.
Thought the Avatar was myself, that's much more classic Marty for me where as his attempts at more conventional thrillers always feel like their pulling in multiple directions for me.

Paul W.S. Anderson is a solid B-movie filmmaker.
The Master at any rate I think clearly isn't a B movie in style for me, There Will be Blood and Inherant Vice perhaps you could make an argument but there still excellent cinema for me, the latter one of the most entertaining films this decade.

Vampires
might be my least favourite John Carpenter movie, or at least one of the main contenders.
I felt this started well enough but didn't love up to its potential, perhaps you could argue due to budget limitations.

consider Drive one of those movies that becomes a lot less impressive once you see the stuff that inspired it like The Driver or Thief.
I would argue probably the biggest influence is To Live and Die in LA but actually even that film you could point to a hefty dose of influence from Jean-Jacques Beineix's Diva.

Still though to me this seems a little churlish when the film wears its influences on its sleeve so obviously ala Tarantino. Just like Tarantino I feel like it has a lot that's original to it as well, none of those films have quite the same style of drama it does and none of them have quite the same look.

Welcome to the human race...
Wouldn't rank them that highly but both films weren't without their merits for me
Guess it depends on how you feel about Scott's other films and I tend to think most of the films he's made since Thelma are just not that good anyway so it's all too easy for these ones to rise up in my estimation.

Certainly my favourite by along way although I think Brian and Meaning of Life represent much more of a shift in style away from the TV series, Holy Grail could almost have been an extended episode with a higher budget.
Eh, Meaning of Life plays more like an extended episode than Holy Grail because of how it consists of largely standalone segments with barely any connecting tissue between them.

[i]Thought the Avatar was myself, that's much more classic Marty for me where as his attempts at more conventional thrillers always feel like their pulling in multiple directions for me.
Yeah, none of their other collaborations have really done it for me.

The Master at any rate I think clearly isn't a B movie in style for me, There Will be Blood and Inherant Vice perhaps you could make an argument but there still excellent cinema for me, the latter one of the most entertaining films this decade.
That's Paul Thomas Anderson (who I am in the non-controversial position of considering a good filmmaker, though I admittedly don't think as highly of Boogie Nights and Punch-Drunk Love as most people). Paul W.S. Anderson is probably best known for directing such classics as Mortal Kombat, Even Horizon, Alien vs. Predator, and the bulk of the Resident Evil series.

I felt this started well enough but didn't love up to its potential, perhaps you could argue due to budget limitations.
I re-watched it a few months ago and looked up its Wikipedia article - an interesting note about its origins was that Carpenter had just finished Escape From L.A. and had found the whole experience such a hassle that he wanted to retire from filmmaking completely but was convinced to do Vampires and I reckon you can sense that sort of tiredness and meanness throughout the film itself.

I would argue probably the biggest influence is To Live and Die in LA but actually even that film you could point to a hefty dose of influence from Jean-Jacques Beineix's Diva.

Still though to me this seems a little churlish when the film wears its influences on its sleeve so obviously ala Tarantino. Just like Tarantino I feel like it has a lot that's original to it as well, none of those films have quite the same style of drama it does and none of them have quite the same look.
I suppose you can treat it as a mishmash of various influences from the '80s crime genre but I doubt that To Live and Die in L.A. is the "biggest" influence, especially not compared to The Driver, which centres around a nameless getaway driver who almost never speaks or changes his expression while also hiding a really violent temper (and is even played by a guy named Ryan). At the very least, it's enough that makes me think it's not quite as great as I initially thought it was (that and the whitewashing accusation).

Prometheus and Alien: Covenant are worthy additions to the Alien franchise (the latter might be the best film Ridley's done since Thelma and Louise) and I actively look forward to a third installment in this prequel trilogy.

Holy Grail is the only genuinely great Monty Python movie - Life of Brian may have more intellectual and cinematic ambition but that just means it falls shorter of what it tries to accomplish..

The World's End is my favourite Cornetto.

Gangs of New York is my favourite Scorsese/DiCaprio collaboration.

Paul W.S. Anderson is a solid B-movie filmmaker.

Vampires might be my least favourite John Carpenter movie, or at least one of the main contenders.

I prefer the second Mission: Impossible to the third.

I consider Drive one of those movies that becomes a lot less impressive once you see the stuff that inspired it like The Driver or Thief.
I have to say,prometheus and alien covenant will become classics with time,give it another 10 years,these two films will be classics in the franchise

This might just do nobody any good.
Hey, World’s End is my favourite too!

And even if I don’t like Mission: Impossible 2, personally, i can see why others put it above #3, given that’s its much more singularly it’s own film with a personality (a gaudy one), which was kind of the driving force of th franchise (distinct entries) before McQuarrie came in.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I like Mission: Impossible 2. People say that they don't like it cause it's too action focused, but everyone after the first one is action focused, so I don't see how the second one is any more so (shrug).

I think it might be because it's John Woo action as opposed to the more "conventional" action of everything from #3 onwards.

In that sense, I'd consider it to be the 2 Fast 2 Furious/Tokyo Drift of the series while III would be the Fast & Furious - the former is a messy follow-up to a solid original that still has enough character to make it a more interesting movie than the latter, which that practically exists to set up better sequels (e.g. Fast Five/Ghost Protocol) instead of being particularly good in its own right.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Oh okay, I don't mind John Woo's style, as I did think he had some good action movies before like Face/Off, Hard Boiled, and The Killer. I feel he can be a breath of fresh air that makes him different from other action movie styles.

action movies are not what it used to be, i can watch speed 1000 times and not get bored, but i can t watch the meg, or any scott adkins film more than once.. action movies are not what it used to be anymore

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
I thought the original x men was the best. Also the wolverine franchise and Jackmans portrayal (after the first) has been unpleasant. Logan was ok but was not as good as hyped or worth the two terrible movies beforehand.

Superhero films are often great and the genre is worthy of our appreciation.

My opinion about Star Wars is probably very controversial. Also Marvel and DC stuff.

My opinion about Star Wars is probably very controversial. Also Marvel and DC stuff.
Ha, I bet we're in complete agreement...even though I don't know what your opinion is.

Mine is
: the first 3 original Star Wars films were good but all the other ones are a waste...and I wouldn't bother watching any Marvel/DC fluffy stuff. Actually the whole movement towards fantasy action blockbusters is of zero interest to me.

I think all of them are a just average at best. There is an episode on BBC called "The Empire that Britain Built". Quite fascinating. It's better than the movie!

The whole effing movie is British.

Guess it depends on how you feel about Scott's other films and I tend to think most of the films he's made since Thelma are just not that good anyway so it's all too easy for these ones to rise up in my estimation.
I would personally say Matchstick Men is his best film since then.

Eh, Meaning of Life plays more like an extended episode than Holy Grail because of how it consists of largely standalone segments with barely any connecting tissue between them.
Its a series of sketches but the nature of those sketches is rather different, less focused on constant wit and silliness and more focused on absurd darker satire.

Yeah, none of their other collaborations have really done it for me.
Besides the Aviator it always felt like Marty was being drawn into making more conventional blockbusters with them, revenge films, suspense films, etc were as his strength has always been extended character studies.

That's Paul Thomas Anderson (who I am in the non-controversial position of considering a good filmmaker, though I admittedly don't think as highly of Boogie Nights and Punch-Drunk Love as most people). Paul W.S. Anderson is probably best known for directing such classics as Mortal Kombat, Even Horizon, Alien vs. Predator, and the bulk of the Resident Evil series.
Surely the latter making B=movies isn't that controversial? really only Event Horizon is that well regarded. Thomas Anderson on the other had I think you could argue his followed the Coens in telling stories that would typically be more genre cinema in a more artful fashion. I do tend to share your opinion that he's improved as his career has gone on.

I re-watched it a few months ago and looked up its Wikipedia article - an interesting note about its origins was that Carpenter had just finished Escape From L.A. and had found the whole experience such a hassle that he wanted to retire from filmmaking completely but was convinced to do Vampires and I reckon you can sense that sort of tiredness and meanness throughout the film itself.
That could be a reason as well, again I think it starts off pretty well but becomes duller as it progresses.

I suppose you can treat it as a mishmash of various influences from the '80s crime genre but I doubt that To Live and Die in L.A. is the "biggest" influence, especially not compared to The Driver, which centres around a nameless getaway driver who almost never speaks or changes his expression while also hiding a really violent temper (and is even played by a guy named Ryan). At the very least, it's enough that makes me think it's not quite as great as I initially thought it was (that and the whitewashing accusation).
I spose it depends what your talking about in terms of influence, The Driver is more of a direct influence on the plot but in terms of how the film is made I think To Live and Die in LA is arguably more significant. Still again for me those influence always seemed to be worn on the films sleeve ala Tarantino and like him I think Refn brings a lot that's clearly very different to them.

I would personally say Matchstick Men is his best film since then.
It's been on my to-do list for a while, hopefully it's as good as you say.

Its a series of sketches but the nature of those sketches is rather different, less focused on constant wit and silliness and more focused on absurd darker satire.
Yeah, I guess that's one way of looking at it - it's been a long time since I've seen it so I'd have to see how it holds up in that regard anyway.

Besides the Aviator it always felt like Marty was being drawn into making more conventional blockbusters with them, revenge films, suspense films, etc were as his strength has always been extended character studies.
Yeah, even Scorsese has to keep pulling the one-for-you-one-for-me thing and I guess he finds that the "conventional" work suits someone with DiCaprio's attributes.

Surely the latter making B=movies isn't that controversial? really only Event Horizon is that well regarded. Thomas Anderson on the other had I think you could argue his followed the Coens in telling stories that would typically be more genre cinema in a more artful fashion. I do tend to share your opinion that he's improved as his career has gone on.
You'd think so, but the way I hear it most people seem to think W.S. is one of the worst directors ever (mostly because of AvP supposedly tarnishing not one but two beloved franchises) - at the very least, it's a more controversial opinion to consider him a good director than a bad one.

That could be a reason as well, again I think it starts off pretty well but becomes duller as it progresses.
It's just downright unpleasant as well, like I see James Woods and Daniel Baldwin constantly mistreating Sheryl Lee throughout the whole movie and it's just like "these are the heroes?" Even accounting for how flawed anti-heroes can be, that still doesn't make them any fun to watch.

I spose it depends what your talking about in terms of influence, The Driver is more of a direct influence on the plot but in terms of how the film is made I think To Live and Die in LA is arguably more significant. Still again for me those influence always seemed to be worn on the films sleeve ala Tarantino and like him I think Refn brings a lot that's clearly very different to them.
Perhaps. It really is one big pastiche, but The Driver just strikes me as the most "obvious" influence.

Another controversial opinion - it's one thing if you simply don't like his movies, but referring to Shyamalan as "Shamalamadingdong" or some variation thereof makes you sound racist.

we lost the artsy filmmaking of the 80s and 90s, and probably the 70s aswell...

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
You know what! I'm sick of YOU people. By 'you people' I mean people who don't like Titanic. The movies great and the romance is emotionally engaging. I wouldn't call myself a soft male but I do have a soft side and it had me teary. The film doesn't deserve the hate.