Best Submarine Movies

Tools    

I'm talking about movies that take place not part of a considarable amount of time in a sub. not counting 1941 and other such films that have subs but not really about subs.

My top 5
Das Boot (1981)
K-19 (2002)
The Hunt for Red October (1990)
Below (2002)
U-571 (2000)

Others:
Torpedo Run 1958
Operation Petticoat 1959
Ice Station Zebra 1968
Crimson Tide 1995

Need to see:
Run Silent, Run Deep
The Enemy Below

Anything else worth looking into.

Semper Fooey
Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea
Up Periscope (maybe not)
Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea

Employee of the Month
"The Hunt for Red October" is the best Clancy-adaption in my opinion. Just because of Sean Connery ans Sam Neill I would put it on the top of my list. "Das Boot" is close second and "U-571" ranked third. But I hardly remember that movie, I don`t think it was a big success.

I'm talking about movies that take place not part of a considarable amount of time in a sub. not counting 1941 and other such films that have subs but not really about subs.

My top 5
Das Boot (1981)
K-19 (2002)
The Hunt for Red October (1990)
Below (2002)
U-571 (2000)

Others:
Torpedo Run 1958
Operation Petticoat 1959
Ice Station Zebra 1968
Crimson Tide 1995

Need to see:
Run Silent, Run Deep
The Enemy Below

Although by necessity much of the movie takes place off the boat while it's in port, I think it would be a major mistake not to consider On the Beach, to see how the sub crew make a last mission in search of a mysterious radio signal in an area where no one is supposed to be alive.

And if you're going to include Operation Petticoat, you really should look at Destination Tokyo, a WWII film in which commander Cary Grant takes his sub into Tokyo Bay to radio back weather and other info prior to the Doolittle bombing raid on Japan (based on a real event by a real sub). That film inspired Tony Curtis to join the Navy and become a submariner years before he and Grant costarred in Operation Petticoat.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Down Periscope... but Shirley you're not serious.

My vote is Das Boot, followed by Red October, but if you don't have so much time, The Enemy Below is quite impressive.

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
Down Periscope... but Shirley you're not serious.

My vote is Das Boat, followed by Red October, but if you don't have so much time, The Enemy Below is quite impressive.
The cat and mouse game in The Enemy Below is very cool. Mitchum is great in it.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

"The Hunt for Red October" is the best Clancy-adaption in my opinion. Just because of Sean Connery ans Sam Neill I would put it on the top of my list. "Das Boot" is close second and "U-571" ranked third. But I hardly remember that movie, I don`t think it was a big success.

Das boot is very good. it's jsut a little long but i think it helps convey a point.

Theodore Bikel is commander and Alan Arkin is exec officer of a Russian submarine that runs aground off a small New England village at the height of the cold war in The Russians Are Coming, The Russians Are Coming! Thre resulting confrontation between the sub crew and local residents could be the start of WWIII until fate and human nature takes a hand. Very funny!

One great sumarine picture is Hell and High Water in which former WWII sub commander Richard Widmark and an international crew are hired by some scientists to take a refurbished Japanese war-veteran sub off the Russian (or is it Chinese?) coast to find out if the bad guys are about to mount an atomic attack on the west. Lots of action.

I don't think you ever see the sub that destroyer commander Widmark is tracking in The Bedford Incident, but you can never forget it's out there.

Crash Dive was filmed in 1943 with Tyrone Power (a real life Marine pilot) and Dana Andrews.

Hellcats of the Navy (1957) is about submarines, not the famous WWII Navy fighter of the same name. It's also the only film that Ronald Reagan and future wife Nancy Davis ever made together.

Don't know how they ever found a boat big enough, but John Wayne played a sub commander in Operation Pacific (1951).

Wayne's pal director John Ford did a film in 1930 about a sunken sub and efforts to rescue the crew in peace time called oddly enough Men Without Women.

Torpedo Run had Glenn Ford and Ernest Borgnine on a WWII sub. In an interesting twist to the plot, the Japanese carrier that Ford is after is being protected by surrounding freighters carrying POWs including Ford's wife and child who were in occupied territory when the war broke out.

Torpedo Alley (1953) is more of a B-movie.

Up Periscope (1959) stars James Gardner as a UDT frogman enroute to a secret assignment aboard a sub. Also has Edmond O'Brien.

We Dive at Dawn (1943) British sub and crew headed by John Mills

Submarine Command (1951) Bill Holden, William Bendix. Holden had to leave his former commander topside when he dived the sub while under attack, and Bendix hates him for it.

Gray Lady Down (1978) Another sub rescue with Charlton Heston and Stacy Keach.

Murphy's War--a really odd little film with Peter O'Toole as an Irishman carrying on a private war with a German sub in a South American river during WWII. The ending is a sudden surprise.

Kenny, don't paint your sister.

Red October came to mind first, but I'd highly recommend this film. Possibly a bit dated, but it's definately suspenseful.

Will.15's post reminds me how we used to love watching Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea on tv back in the 60s with the craggy Admiral Nelson and the handsome (yes I did have a crush on him ) Commander Crane. The theme tune's great!

&feature=related

Semper Fooey
They're going to show Run Silent, Run Deep on that digital movie channel this week.