The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Nice! Wondering if you've seen the new Zappa biopic? If so, would love to hear your thoughts.

Frank is my #1 and lucky enough to see him live five times. Maybe I saw you also.
Check here until he returns.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
The Shawshank Redemption is a very good movie, but it's another movie that would probably make my list of "best" movies, but not my list of "favorite" movies. As much as I like the movie, it's not a movie that I tend to rewatch.

The first couple of times that I tried to watch Lawrence of Arabia, I got bored with the movie after about an hour or so, and I turned it off about halfway through the movie. I eventually found the time (and patience) to watch the whole movie, and it turned out to be a pretty good movie when I gave it a proper chance. It's still not a favorite movie, but I can understand why it made the countdown.

It's #7 in your top ten favourite movies on the site that show up when people click on the star next to your username, not on the list of 25 you sent Yoda.
Thank you, @Thursday Next, for the clarification. No wonder I go around confused half the time.

The Shawshank Redemption didn't quite make my top 25, but it's definitely in my top 100. The story of a man who is unfairly sent to prison and helps wardens and his fellow inmates with various needs while befriending longtime inmate Red is a story of finding hope in the middle of grim circumstances. It's no wonder that "Get busy living or get busy dying" is a quote that can be found everywhere.

Lawrence of Arabia is my number 8. At once, it's a story of a thinker in the military who finds his purpose helping others doing their part to overthrow the Ottoman Empire while sorting out his feelings about violence and where he stands between British interests and the Arabian rebels.

The visuals, particularly in the desert, are a knockout. Peter O'Toole is superb as Lawrence, matched by Omar Sharif as Sherif Ali and Alec Guinness as Prince Faisal. This biopic blends reality with fiction as it dives into the complex history of British involvement in the affairs of the rebels. Throw in a memorable film score and one of the better intros I've seen and you got a film that can stand the test of time. And as Roger Ebert said, no good film is too long.

My List:

2. Gone with the Wind
3. The Wizard of Oz
6. Metropolis
8. Lawrence of Arabia
9. There Will Be Blood
10. City of God
11. Sunset Boulevard
12. Vertigo
13. Night of the Hunter

Think we're at the point where it's basically impossible for me to get one by anyone with so few options left, but I'll give it another go. These will either get insanely vague after this and/or stop entirely.

Tomorrow's hint:

I say most emphatic
Don't be driven by fear
You can't remain static
Through each taxing year
The self must be confronted
But the threat is so near
And I'd rather be hunted
Than look in a mirror
Taxi Driver is definite.
I think the other is Alien.

A system of cells interlinked
Taxi Driver for sure...

Others have the second film right with either Blade Runner or Alien, as well.

• 261 points
  • 17 lists
14. Taxi Driver

Director

Martin Scorsese, 1976

Starring

Robert De Niro, Jodie Foster, Albert Brooks, Harvey Keitel

• 263 points
  • 18 lists
13. Alien

Director

Ridley Scott, 1979

Starring

Sigourney Weaver, Tom Skerritt, Veronica Cartwright, Harry Dean Stanton

Fun Facts

Just two points separate these two films, the lowest margin this late in the list. Also, Alien is the first film to be on 18 ballots, and another film won't hit that mark until the Top 10.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I'm once again one of the outsiders at the celebration although Taxi Driver has gone up in my estimation about as much as any film I've seen from the time I first watched it and downright hated it until now. I suppose I could stand at the doorway to the party though and ask Holden or cricket for a piece of cake or a beer.

I had a real problem with Taxi Driver when I first saw it in 1976. I didn't like or understand Travis Bickle, and what's more, I didn't like any of the other characters. I've seen it many times since, and I still find it to be extremely-flawed, but its pure cinematics have finally won me over enough to raise my rating up to what it is here. The cinematography and music were always great, but only go so far for what I thought was convoluted. For every scene which I find extended or overkill, I'm rewarded with some spectacular visual/aural pyrotechnics, often something as simple as a taxi driving down a neon-lit night-time street set to the jazzy Bernard Herrmann musical score. Robert De Niro's performance is quite incredible even though he remains an enigma. I believe the most-controversial scenes in the film are the entire rescue bloodbath at the end and the way it's perceived by the press and allegedly the filmmakers. Taxi Driver is definitely a film to be seen, and I'm now begrudgingly allowing myself to come to almost admit that I can "like" or "enjoy" it. One thing's for sure. Compared to all the other vigilante-type flicks which have come along since, Taxi Driver is much more complex and compelling. Ultimately, movies have caught up with Taxi Driver in content and subject matter, but most make it feel much better, both in reality and in the fact that it was almost prescient in the direction a large portion of modern cinema would take. I think it's a very good movie.

Alien is a classic and one of those films which should be seen on as large a screen as possible. True, it borrows a lot from It! The Terror from Beyond Space and Planet of the Vampires, but its budget and technical/creative team (including H.R. Giger) allow it to be far more spectacular than those low-budget flicks. Alien is a terriifc example of a sci-fi/horror flick. The first half is mind-bending sci-fi showing things which had never really been shown before, especially within what appeared to be such spectacular and wide-open sets (even if some were matte paintings). The second half is one of the better claustrophobic monster-on-the-loose flicks aboard the spaceship.

I really love Alien, I remember seeing it several times on the Big Newport's humongous screen and later at FILMEX's 50-hour horror marathon back-to-back with The Exorcist. Even after all these years and newer movies, it still has the strong basic foundation, combined with a sense of originality due to Giger's art directon and creature designs, to qualify as one of the scariest, most-visionary horrors and sci-fis ever made. My fave Alien scene is the long scene down on the planet where they find an enormous underground world, and the eggs on the surface. Then John Hurt sticks his head down a little too close...POW! For me, that scene climaxes with the chest buster.

Wow! You never know what surprises you'll come across when you go cruising for burgers. It's an honor to talk movies with you.
Thanks, bro. And you might be interested to know that I was a close personal friend of Ruben Sano's...

Two great films that I didn't vote for.

Taxi Driver was one of the first films that I fell in love with and helped draw me into cinema. Scorsese was the second director that I really knew existed after Tarantino and this was one of the first films from him I saw. I'm not sure on my first viewing how much of me was genuinely blown away and how much of me was curious slightly transfixed by the film's content and reputation, but I revisited it a few times pretty quickly including a viewing with my brother and it made its way into my personal top 10 very quickly.

It didn't make my list here but that's not necessarily because my opinion of it has diminished and is more down to the fact that I actually haven't seen it in years. When it comes to Scorsese rewatches I normally find myself sitting back to relax and sticking on one of [i]Goodfellas[/I[ The Departed or The Wolf of Wall Street with friends. It might sound pessimistic but I always found Travis Bickle's character to be somewhat relatable when I was younger, so I'm curious as to what my emotions towards him and the film would be nowadays. I wouldn't be surprised with the current angst in this world and the ever polarising political landscape around us if this film did not receive some sort of cult revival in the future. That's not to say that it's not immensely popular and famous already, but if I speak to people my age they're much more likely to have seen and quote something like Fight Club.

I don't have too much to say about Alien that won't pale in comparison to what some of its fans have said and will say on here. Even though it went on to spawn a huge franchise, what I like is that it works as a self-contained piece of work with quite a straightforward concept, minimal locations and characters, that really makes sure all its elements are done as best as possible. The atmosphere throughout is suspenseful and terrifying, exactly what a horror film should be for me.

Nice! Wondering if you've seen the new Zappa biopic? If so, would love to hear your thoughts.

Frank is my #1 and lucky enough to see him live five times. Maybe I saw you also.
I was with MOI from 1968-1970. The Zappa documentary was well done. Here is my commentary:

ZAPPA (2020)

Written and directed by Alex Winter (The Panama Papers, Bill & Ted Face the Music), this is a well put together accolade to iconoclastic jazz/rock composer/musician Frank Zappa. The subject matter is enhanced by Winter's exclusive authorized access to Zappa's massive personal archive --known as "The Vault"-- containing many thousands of audio and video recordings and memorabilia covering his private and public life's work from aged 16 to his death at 52.

Zappa was a life-long compulsive recorder and editor, frequently compiling recordings consisting of sessions or concerts recorded sometimes years apart. Similarly Mr. Winter does a clever job of selecting and arranging bits of Zappa interviews, stage performances, and TV appearances. There is lots of behind-the-scenes and previously discussed revelations about Zappa, his family, his political views, his philosophy of music and composition, and his personal activities. It must have been a daunting task to delve into all that material, and try to capsulize it into a two hour documentary.

Illuminating interviews were featured from some of the phenomenal musicians I had the pleasure of playing with in Zappa's Mothers of Invention: Ruth Underwood, Bunk Gardner and Ian Underwood, along with guitarists Steve Vai, and Mike Keneally, and others.

If there was any shortcoming in the documentary it was the absence of anything negative about the subject; and there were no interviews of any of Frank's children: Moon, Dweezil, Ahmet or Diva. Authorized by the Zappa Family Trust, the film is more of a tribute or homage rather than a stark expose or journalistic piece. But it's so packed with information and rare concert footage, that the film speeds by to its touching conclusion. Zappa was one of the most fascinating composers/musicians of the 20th Century, and his life and times are well represented in this first rate documentary.

Available for rent from many outlets.

Doc's rating: 9/10
p { margin-bottom: 0.1in; line-height: 120%; background: transparent }a:visited { color: #800000; so-language: zxx; text-decoration: underline }a:link { color: #000080; so-language: zxx; text-decoration: underline }

Two more very worthy entries. De Niro is simply excellent in Taxi Driver and Alien is imo as near a perfect sci-fi/horror mix as I'll ever get to see.

Seen: 78/88 (Own: 39/88)
My list:  

Faildictions (Eternal vsn 1.0):
12. The French Connection (1971)
11. The Deer Hunter (1978)