The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I was one of the kids that grew up with Shawshank on TNT every weekend, that and Forrest Gump. I still remember the very first scene I saw was Red at the wall in the field. It was my first memory of experiencing a great scene in a movie. Of course once shortly after I saw the whole film it set the bar for what a great movie should be and hasn't been surpassed since. I still haven't seen a better movie. Every time I visit it I am moved and in awe...every time. Maybe I am manipulated by growing up with it nostalgically. Probably certainly has something to do with it.

I do think some of the hate it receives is because it's so easily accessible...it loses it's cool factor by being overplayed. I just think there was something that happen in the 90s that found the perfect balance of art and accessibility. They took the art of the 70s and the blockbusters of the 80s and melded them into the perfect blend. Shawshank and Forrest Gump being the pinnacle of that. Now movies are overly accessible or overly preachy for the most part.

Movies are certainly subjective and I respect everyone's opinion but its just hard for me to see anyone saying this film is bad. Who knows, just cherish the flick, I obviously would have had it at one. Glad to see it in the top 20 at least.

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

I haven't watched Lawrence of Arabia yet.

I enjoyed The Shawshank Redemption and don't mind rewatching it again whenever it shows up on the telly. One of those rare films that is loved by people across all demographics.

Neither on my list.

Both directors have their debut. Bridge on the River Kwai and The Green Mile are most likely not going to make it.

IV
  • Alfred Hitchcock: North By Northwest (57), Rear Window (40), Psycho (27), Vertigo (19)
III
  • James Cameron: Terminator 2: Judgment Day (71), The Terminator (56), Aliens (37)
  • Steven Spielberg: E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (89), Saving Private Ryan (83), Schindler's List (41)
II
  • Akira Kurosawa: Ikiru (95), Seven Samurai (26)
  • Andrej Tarkovsky: Andrej Rublev (67), Stalker (25)
  • Billy Wilder: The Apartment (84), Sunset Boulevard (53)
  • Coen Brothers: No Country for Old Men (51), The Big Lebowski (18)
  • David Fincher: Fight Club (52), Se7en (49)
  • John Carpenter: Halloween (44), The Thing (20)
  • Milos Forman: Amadeus (50), One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (33)
  • Paul Thomas Anderson: Magnolia (74), There Will Be Blood (60)
  • Peter Jackson: The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (42), The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (28)
  • Robert Zemeckis: Forrest Gump (65), Back to the Future (34)
  • Roman Polanski: Rosemary's Baby (91), Chinatown (17)
  • Sergio Leone: Once Upon a Time in the West (31), The Good, the Bad & the Ugly (23)
  • Stanley Kubrick: A Clockwork Orange (32), The Shining (21)
  • Victor Fleming: Gone with the Wind (55), The Wizard of Oz (36)
The Big Lebowski isn't their best film, but it was well-acted, fun to watch and quite twisty. I'd say it's their fourth best.

Chinatown was the movie that got me checking out more cinema. Before, I only checked it out for Jack Nicholson and I probably wouldn't have explored film as often if it wasn't the first film I ever gave a 100/100.[/quote]

Lawrence is just a little too long, otherwise it's a wonderful movie. I loved O'Toole's performance. Shawshank was a flawless prison movie with a lot of personality and humanity, though I didn't vote for it.

It's every movie he's in though. Short Cuts, Mystic River, Jacobs Ladder, The Player everything I've ever seen him in he seems like he's trying too hard. Shawshank is just one in a long line of films where he bothers me. I can still enjoy the movies but whenever I watch him I get the feeling I'm watching someone act. There's nothing that comes across as natural from him. There are a couple actors I have this "thing" with.
I'm the same way with Robbins, and a few other actors. But I think The Shawshank Redemption is the exception to the Robbins rule for me. I thought he was perfect in his role and I never saw in him whatever it is that usually bothers me for him in other movies. The only other movie where I thought he was perfect was The Sure Thing (1985) where he was the male half of a couple giving John Cusack and Daphne Zuniga a ride partly across country. He was pretty hilarious in that role. As for "Shawshank," and loving it, there's another Darabont/King prison-set film that I love even more. Say what you will about Darabont, he does King adaptations well. Not on my list.

Lawrence of Arabia is one of my favorite films of all-time. I saw it a few times on television and home video till it was restored and re-released in 1989 and I got to see it on a massive screen in Dallas. What an experience that was! Just the scope of the thing blew my mind on the wide screen. I'm never bored for a second while watching this. O'Toole was fantastic in this. For me, David Lean's crowning achievement. And @Yoda, I think it was you whom I got my list resent to me right as this countdown started. I copied it and saved it. Yet, where it says "Favorited by" on the Lawrence of Arabia post you made, you have my placing it at #7, yet the list you sent me says #3. I don't know what happened but I'm still going to place it at #3 until you let me know otherwise.

19. The Searchers #97
1. To Kill a Mockingbird #85
25. Die Hard #63
14. Rear Window #40
8. It's a Wonderful Life #38
2. Aliens #37
13. The Wizard of Oz #36
9. Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back #30
3. Lawrence of Arabia #15

Have seen 70 of 86

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
And @Yoda, I think it was you whom I got my list resent to me right as this countdown started. I copied it and saved it. Yet, where it says "Favorited by" on the Lawrence of Arabia post you made, you have my placing it at #7, yet the list you sent me says #3. I don't know what happened but I'm still going to place it at #3 until you let me know otherwise.
It's #7 in your top ten favourite movies on the site that show up when people click on the star next to your username, not on the list of 25 you sent Yoda.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
There are now fewer slots left than movies I thought would definitely make it.

Everyone stop guessing Inception then it might have a chance.

Think we're at the point where it's basically impossible for me to get one by anyone with so few options left, but I'll give it another go. These will either get insanely vague after this and/or stop entirely.

Tomorrow's hint:

I say most emphatic
Don't be driven by fear
You can't remain static
Through each taxing year
The self must be confronted
But the threat is so near
And I'd rather be hunted
Than look in a mirror

Think we're at the point where it's basically impossible for me to get one by anyone with so few options left, but I'll give it another go. These will either get insanely vague after this and/or stop entirely.

Tomorrow's hint:

I say most emphatic
Don't be driven by fear
You can't remain static
Through each taxing year
And I'd rather be hunted
Than look in a mirror
Taxi Driver and Blade Runner or Alien

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

Tomorrow's hint:

I say most emphatic
Don't be driven by fear
You can't remain static
Through each taxing year
And I'd rather be hunted
Than look in a mirror
Taxi Driver and Blade Runner?
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Lawrence of Arabia was in my top five. A truly awesome cinematic achievement. Epic in scope (and length) yet intensely personal in its focus. Peter O'Toole gives an incredible performance as the courageous and conflicted Lawrence, aided by a stellar supporting cast and filmed against the backdrop of the vast, beautiful and forbidding desert landscape. They don't make 'em like this anymore!

The Shawshank Redemption was also on my list. While not a masterpiece, it holds a place close to my heart with its simple and sincere story, likeable characters and its themes of hope, friendship and redemption.

Tomorrow's hint:

I say most emphatic
Don't be driven by fear
You can't remain static
Through each taxing year
And I'd rather be hunted
Than look in a mirror

Taxi Driver and Alien

That's correct, it is I.
Wow! You never know what surprises you'll come across when you go cruising for burgers. It's an honor to talk movies with you.