MoFo Fantasy Football 2020 - Regular Season

Tools    

Yeah, Pollard wouldn't have mattered, at least, which is definitely better than the agonizing "coulda won with this lineup" stuff. I know from experience. That's the worst.

Apparently none of the trades mattered, either (EDIT: ha, Jefferson and Hill are going to finish with exactly 14.4 points each this week). Not with Tannehill tossing up 40 and Waller going off again, and Brown getting in on the fun. Wasn't really sure what I had with him off waivers but it'd really be something if Gibson misses another week and he plays a significant role again.

The trades have hardly mattered at all, actually, because three of the four players I moved finished top 10 at their position anyway. Jefferson's breakout was real and he's gonna get drafted real high next year. Henderson's the only exception, but in this stupid RB climate he still finished the regular season as a clear RB2.

Originally Posted by jiraffejustin
I'm pleased to have made it as far as I did. Thanks for a fun season, everybody.
Good season Justin, well played. You deserve particular crediting for cashing in on Rodgers' resurgence, which was far from obvious.

Definitely feeling sick about it now. I'd already have the win wrapped up if not for those mistakes. Even just the 5-point difference in defenses could prove to be a killer.

TDs from Murray or Goedert could put me in the lead, but I'm running out of time.
Oof, yeah. Murray's huge game pulled an almost certain loss in a close, winnable game. Not much time left but it's fitting that Kyler's the dude keeping you in it until the very end, since banking on him was your single-biggest decision and it paid off handsomely.

4:00 games about over, and small mercies, if this total holds the -5 points from the defensive switch might fall just short of mattering (as of right now, Hey Fred would still win by 0.28, which would be bananas).

4:00 games about over, and small mercies, if this total holds the -5 points from the defensive switch might fall just short of mattering (as of right now, Hey Fred would still win by 0.28, which would be bananas).
It's a small mercy, but it does make me feel better.

I had Ahmed in my line-up as recently as last night but swapped him for Michel since Ahmed was questionable and in the unlikely event I overslept or internet crashed or a falling tree crushed me in my sleep or whatever, that I'd at least have a guaranteed active player in my FLEX.

I knew Ahmed had the highest ceiling, but also felt that he had the lowest floor due to his injury status. Too many times I've seen ailing RBs be active only to be used sparingly or left on the sidelines in the case of emergency. My mind also leaps to worst-case scenarios, and it was easier to envision disastrous outcomes for Ahmed than Michel or Bowden. Then I saw Bowden get some hype this morning on ESPN's fantasy show and that was enough to make up my mind

I would've rather lost by 20+ than lose by such a narrow margin only because I made the wrong decision. Goedert nearly had a TD as well that would've likely sent the Eagles/Cards to OT, or would've at least forced the Cards to throw the ball to try to get in FG range.

Major bummer. I would've likely gotten blown out next week anyway, but 5 straight trips to the championship game would've been a feat in itself.

but 5 straight trips to the championship game would've been a feat in itself.
Four straight trips to the MoFo Bowl already is, my man. And five straight trips to the playoffs (nevermind the semifinals) is, too. You're a tremendous competitor and it's gotten to the point where I can feel us racing to the wire for the same guys, and it's hard to even be mad when you end up with them. It's a challenge and a pleasure.

I guess even getting to this point, despite not having my #1 overall draft pick basically all season, was a feat in itself. At least my streak of semi-final appearances is still intact. 6 years in the league, 6 semi-final appearances.

This is one of the more frustrating seasons I've had in fantasy football. I would've rather McCaffrey just gone down with a season-ending injury rather than deal with the weekly temptation of "does he return!?" The emotional roller coaster of being a McCaffrey owner this season was maddening. Then to trade for Michael Thomas, only for Brees to break half his ribs shortly afterwards. And then Brees returns just as Thomas gets put on IR. All season I just had the mindset of surviving and getting to the playoffs with the expectation that I'd get McCaffrey back and Thomas would get Brees back. Sadly none of that came to fruition.

Four straight trips to the MoFo Bowl already is, my man. And five straight trips to the playoffs (nevermind the semifinals) is, too. You're a tremendous competitor and it's gotten to the point where I can feel us racing to the wire for the same guys, and it's hard to even be mad when you end up with them. It's a challenge and a pleasure.
Thanks. Same here.

I was really hoping for a 2017 Championship rematch with you. As I've said before, you're the best FF player I've ever encountered, and nobody else even comes close. The challenge of trying to outdo you (and everyone else in the league, as well, since we have several really strong owners who clearly pay close attention to the sport) is what makes this league so fun.

You and @Hey Fredrick have been the top two teams all season, so it's only fitting that it comes down to the two of you in the championship.

Oh my god.

lol, well I lost this week, and the coulda shoulda and wouldas kicked in. I should have been receptive to Yodas offer early in the year and traded away Elliot. I would have lost who eventually became an albatross and he would have had a lemon instead of Derrick Henry. Who knew?!
With how the rest of my team underperformed this week I would have been knocked out this round anyway.

Who is Parrotheads?

Parrotheads is Hey Fredrick

Thank you.

I think what would be a huge adjustment to how we play next season is allowing only one trade per team, if any at all. Yes I'm saying that lol! In football it doesnt happen often where they trade, but in Baseball it truly is part of the game. This would stop the grumblings, help league morale, and make the league more authentic. Just a suggestion being put out there.

I'm guilty of trying to "get over" on a weak owner in trades. Who was the #1 victim? Spudracer. Oh my God poor Tater/Kent would be picked apart every year. He stopped playing in our league. Was I cheating? No, not at all. Is the end result worth it? Hell no. Could I stop myself? Sad, but I resemble Edward Nortons character in Rounders. I didnt cheat but have no restraint when the opportunities and trading fever are upon me.

So the suggestion isnt going to "screw up" the league, but is meant to make it stronger by overall enthusiasm being improved.

If you can can convince a majority of owners, so be it. I'll keep out of it but I doubt there'll be much support, and let's be honest: people grumble plenty over just one, anyway.

But it won't be necessary, because I wasn't kidding before: it's not worth the headache, and it's not worth the hazy attempts at delegitimization. I probably just won't make any major trades next year, same as I did in 2017; I refused trades that year I was being actively talked into, specifically for that reason.

The only setting change I'd like to see enforced next year is for Yoda to lock my line-ups on Saturday night. That way I can't self-sabotage myself an hour before kickoff and drive myself crazy with my incessant need to make last-minute changes that typically go against the instincts I've had throughout the entire week leading up to game day. Protect me from myself, please.

To quell that agonizing, frustrating feeling of losing due to my own coaching error, I keep telling myself that at least I've saved myself the embarrassment of losing to Yoda by 100 points. I had a brief freak-out last night while watching Sports Center when I saw how close Coutee came to scoring a game-tying TD in that HOU-IND game. Just as he's diving toward the goal line, a defender knocks the ball from his hands to cause a touchback. I was like, "OMG, I would've won if he'd scored that TD!!!" Then I remembered that Fredrick has Watson so the TD would've been irrelevant and I calmed down . . . only to experience a similar sensation when they then showed clips of the Rams/Jets game and I saw that every time Akers picked up a big gain, including a 20-something-yard TD in the 4th, that the play was negated due to holding penalties.

I'll be curious to see what James Conner does tonight if he plays. He missed two days of practice and is listed as questionable, so there was no chance I was ever going to roll the dice on him and risk not having a viable alternative if it turns out he's inactive. Had the Steelers played yesterday at 1:00, however, there's obviously a chance I would've played him since it's the Bengals and I've played Conner all year long anyway.

Eh, the lineup moves work plenty often, too. That's why it's so maddening. If they failed all the time there'd be no problem because you'd stop, but sometimes they're masterstrokes.

Same thing with the "so close" TDs and all that. Presumably Hey Fred had a couple, though maybe none as close or dramatic, but I know I almost never end up checking for the other guy. Nevermind whatever bounces went the other way at some crucial point earlier in the year. You can drive yourself nuts with this stuff.

I'll be curious to see what James Conner does tonight if he plays. He missed two days of practice and is listed as questionable, so there was no chance I was ever going to roll the dice on him and risk not having a viable alternative if it turns out he's inactive. Had the Steelers played yesterday at 1:00, however, there's obviously a chance I would've played him since it's the Bengals and I've played Conner all year long anyway.
Well, smart move, because I just heard he's not playing.

Well, smart move, because I just heard he's not playing.
Along with the 52 other men on the Steelers roster judging by that performance tonight.

Along with the 52 other men on the Steelers roster judging by that performance tonight.
Yeah, very bad. One of Ben's worst games over the last few years. The receivers let him down the last few weeks, but last night was on him.

This team shouldn't have been 11-0 to begin with, though: they barely won against crappy teams multiple times. That doesn't worry me too much, mostly because I stopped living and dying with the Steelers a decade or so ago, but also because playing to their opponents' level has been a hallmark of the Tomlin era. But I told everyone who would listen they were more like an 8-3 team.

The injuries are probably responsible for one or two of the losses. They literally had to shove in linebackers off the practice squad after their top three guys at the crucial position all went down. But the offense has to be better even if/when it gets a bit healthier, otherwise they'll struggle to even get to a playoff game at KC, much less beat them there.

MoFo Bowl XIII

11 Angry Men
vs.
Parrotheads

The Road Here

It's boring, but it's just the draft. The two team that got byes were the two teams that won the most, because they scored the most, because they had the best drafts. That and dodging massive injuries, of course, which turned out to be a bigger part of this season than anyone expected.

Hey Fred went RB-RB with Cook and Jones, and it worked great: Cook's #1 at RB, and Jones is #5. The reason this worked isn't just because they both did great, but because he didn't sacrifice a lot for it: while none of his receivers were studs, they were all solid: Kupp, Boyd, and Cooks all finished between 23rd and 32nd at WR, and more than that, they were consistent. Same story with Watson, who's 6th at QB. He nailed his first two RBs early and then surrounded them with solid contributors, ranging from decent at worst to good at best. Oh, and I almost forgot: he nabbed Mike Davis off of waivers and McCaffrey's injury meant he was just handed a low-end RB1 for free. Huge. That kind of free Top 10 guy is almost always part of the story when a team makes a MoFo Bowl. But this squad probably makes it anyway, just on that draft.

For all the hullabaloo about trades, the die was cast on draft day on the other side, too: I somehow came out of it with three top 10 backs and three top 10 receivers. Read that again, because I had to and I was there. And that's before you toss in the #2 TE (totally in his own tier there apart from all the other non-Kelce mortals) and the #7 QB. That'd be absurd in a 10-team league, nevermind this one. So absurd that while nobody can call it mere luck, I obviously can't pretend it was all skill, either. Nobody's that lucky OR that good. It's the best draft I've ever had, it's not close, and I'm not sure I'll ever manage it again. Unsurprisingly, the result was a new league points record.

The Matchups

First, the bad: several significant players have bad-to-awful matchups. Fred's got Dalvin Cook's up against the Saints (which means Thielen is, too), and I've got Tannehill against the Packers. None of these are as bad as they seem, though: Cook seems matchup-proof, and Miles Sanders destroyed that same Saints' run D two weeks ago. Thielen's become really TD-dependent (I shoulda kept Jefferson, who's clearly more valuable now), which caps his overall value but also means he's more likely to salvage a decent total even if the Viking offense struggles. And Green Bay's totals against QBs sure seem like the product of dodging pretty much all of the best ones.

There's also a nice either-or with Henry, in that whether the Titans go pass or run I'm gonna get a part of it, so anything other than a total shutdown of that offense probably ends up being okay. And guess what? Vegas has the over-under at a crazy high 55+.

Second, the good: a few skill players have really good matchups. Aaron Jones against the Titans is pretty good. Cooper Kupp against Seattle is, on paper, literally the best matchup he could have. And that concerns me, because 20 points from Aaron Jones is very much priced in...but not from Kupp. If he tosses up a Benjamin instead of his usual Jackson, that's a big deal. Meanwhile Hill and Henry both have good matchups, though you always worry about star players on playoff-bound teams late in the year, and Hill's hamstring got some kind of spray this past week. It's depressingly easy to imagine guys like that coming out as a precaution for teams that are wrapping things up.

Decisions

Obviously, whether McCaffrey finally comes back and makes Fred sit Mike Davis matters a lot, but Davis has a tough matchup against The WFT anyway, and they've been quite good recently. Boyd has a good matchup against Houston, and Sanders has the same against the Vikings, especially with Thomas out. Looks like a genuinely tough choice for Fred.

On my end, a lot depends Gibson. He's the obvious play if he's healthy, not just because the Panters are a fairly soft matchup, but because he's been a revelation. My concern is that he gets rushed back, because two weeks for turf toe is really pushing it. An aggravation could burn me, or he could just not be himself, and I've got a lot of great options after him.

One of those options is Antonio Brown, who's been very flex-worthy since he came back and finally had a big game this past week, and gets a great matchup with Detroit. Just another waiver gem, and one that'll probably find his way into a MoFo Bowl lineup if Gibson doesn't play, or if there's enough reporting to suggest he'll be limited.

Oh, and Tyreek Hill missed a practice, which is very concerning. That alone maybe pulls this into a dead heat, and if you combine it with some kind of Gibson setback, things could get dicey very quick.

Prediction

I'm not gonna get cute here. I'll usually win this matchup, if you ran it over and over. But the route to an upset is exceedingly clear, too. Hey Fred handed me one of my two losses this year when Cook went off, I might be out Gibson (or, worse, play him when he's limited), and Thielen could easily throw up a TD-less dud. Oh, and if Green Bay flouts that Vegas line and actually severely limits the Titan's offense, it takes out two of my players with it, so you could say that's literally the only thing that has to happen for Fred here. But more to the point, he's got guys who can neutralize huge games on the other side or win the week for him on his own.

It's fairly likely this'll be the highest-scoring MoFo Bowl ever, a title that currently belongs to MoFo Bowl I in 2008, which was 143-126. Projections alone are gonna have us close to that, and they're notoriously conservative.

This is my seventh MoFo Bowl in 13 years, and if I win it'll be my fifth title. I think that probably happens, because I think Hill and Gibson both play and are more themselves than not.

First drive couldn't have gone better, with Kamara scoring on a 40-yard burst and having huge holes to run through on both carries. Couple catches for Thielen, too...but Cook answers with a TD of his own to hold serve.