Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

The Dirty Dozen - This 1967 WWII classic has a runtime of two and a half hours and the covert mission that's at the heart of the story doesn't get rolling until the last half hour. But that doesn't end up mattering thanks to director Robert Aldrich and his all star, all male cast. If you check Aldrich's catalogue you'll find he's like a prolific Samuel Fuller. Specializing in mostly action flicks with strong leading men. In this one he had his pick from Lee Marvin, Charles Bronson, Jim Brown, Clint Walker, John Cassavetes, Robert Ryan, Telly Savalas, Richard Jaeckel, George Kennedy, Donald Sutherland or Ernest Borgnine among others. It's a guy movie with guy humor. But it's never boring. 90/100
What I love is that despite this being true for his noir and later career, he's also the guy that made Whatever Happened to Baby Jane and Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte, essentially crafting the subgenre of Hagsploitation with the the talents of Bette Davis and Joan Crawford. Apparently, he was worried he'd only make lady pictures after that so he may have overcorrected course.

Wonder (Stephen Chbosky, 2017)
+
Tbh I spent most of the runtime looking for Fred Savage and Danica McKellar to show up

What I love is that despite this being true for his noir and later career, he's also the guy that made Whatever Happened to Baby Jane and Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte, essentially crafting the subgenre of Hagsploitation with the the talents of Bette Davis and Joan Crawford. Apparently, he was worried he'd only make lady pictures after that so he may have overcorrected course.
“Hagsploitation”? Charming.

And what are “lady pictures”?

Excellent movie.

Like a Woody Allen movie, but European. One of those movies that isn’t bad (terrific cast), but one wonders who thought it would be a good idea to make this movie. Instantly forgettable.

Now the following is what you call restraint. After a set up like that, I'm going to answer the question properly.

He could've meant Womens Film

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woman%27s_film

Or, given the time I assume it was said, melodrama, drama, romance, family films. All were referred to as womens films from Golden Age through to New Hollywood. I can't remember where I read it but I remember reading that LB Mayer said something to the effect that he liked to always be making womens films so he'd have something to take his wife or mother to.

“Hagsploitation”? Charming.

These are either his wording or accepted terminology for the low budget rip offs that followed those films, like Strait Jacket, Berzerk, Whatever Happened to Auntie Roo, Die Die My Darling, etc.

Aldritch took the job at a low point in his career and fancied himself a high calibur director that was slumming with these films (though he seemed to fully dedicate himself to any project).

If you've taken any offense, it's with the world of cinema past. Not me.

Stand By Me. (1986)

Classic 80s coming of age film. Simple story about four friends going on an adventure. Rewatching it for the first time since my youth, I never realized how much the theme of death underpins the story. The film was tinged with a sense of melancholy that I didn't remember as a kid. Still, it was an enjoyable watch, although I did find Will Wheaton vaguely irritating.

3.5/5 Stars.

BATTLEFIELD EARTH (2000)
A film considered to be one of the worst

Yep. Everything you've heard about this film is true. Mediocre or just simply atrocious in almost any aspect, from the script and direction to the performances and the special effects. The film is set in a dystopian future where an alien race, the Psychlos, have ruled the Earth for 1000 years, while humans have reverted to their primitive ways. It follows Jonnie (Barry Pepper), one of the few humans who refuses to give up and is brave enough to face the aliens. As a result, Terl (John Travolta) captures him, along with others, to illegally mine gold for his own purposes, while Jonnie and his friends organize a rebellion.

But although the dystopic premise might be interesting, the execution from top to bottom is piss-poor. Roger Christian's direction is amateurish in almost every level, the script is full of silly and cringe-inducing lines, most of the performances feel lost and misguided, and the special effects are almost at "Asylum" levels. It barely scrapes by if you watch it just for kicks, with a "so bad it's good" attitude, but beyond that, there's no other way to look at it. This is crap.

Grade:

Cobra Verde (1987) Herzog/Kinski
Slave trade and war between tribes in South Africa. Herzog and Kinski last production together. Their work together is known for their relationship colored with temperament and fights. This movie allegedly had some major eruptions between the two. It makes me want to see the documentary My Best Fiend from 1999.

7.5/10

BATTLEFIELD EARTH (2000)
A film considered to be one of the worst

Yep. Everything you've heard about this film is true. Mediocre or just simply atrocious in almost any aspect, from the script and direction to the performances and the special effects. The film is set in a dystopian future where an alien race, the Psychlos, have ruled the Earth for 1000 years, while humans have reverted to their primitive ways. It follows Jonnie (Barry Pepper), one of the few humans who refuses to give up and is brave enough to face the aliens. As a result, Terl (John Travolta) captures him, along with others, to illegally mine gold for his own purposes, while Jonnie and his friends organize a rebellion.

But although the dystopic premise might be interesting, the execution from top to bottom is piss-poor. Roger Christian's direction is amateurish in almost every level, the script is full of silly and cringe-inducing lines, most of the performances feel lost and misguided, and the special effects are almost at "Asylum" levels. It barely scrapes by if you watch it just for kicks, with a "so bad it's good" attitude, but beyond that, there's no other way to look at it. This is crap.

Grade:
that movie was so horrible

is thouroughly embarrassed of this old username.
Quick catch up:

Come and See (Elem Klimov, 1985) - 8/10 (rewatch)
Adele Hasn't Had Her Supper Yet (Oldřich Lipský, 1978) - 8/10
No Fish Where to Go (Janice Nadeau & Nicola Lemay, 2014) - 8/10
Mamie (Janice Nadeau, 2016) - 7/10
Revolutionary Girl Utena: The Adolescence of Utena (Kunihiko Ikuhara, 1999) - 5/10
Midori (Hiroshi Harada, 1992) - 8/10 (rewatch)
Chasuke's Journey (SABU, 2015) - 6/10
Nana (Jean Renoir, 1926) - 8/10

I've only seen it the once (seen the original twice). While I definitely didn't prefer it, I doubt I'll have a more negative reaction. Siegel's sensibilities great appeal to me and I enjoy virtually everything I've seen from him (around 13 or so movies).

I may rewatch it before Noirvember comes to a close.
Agreed. I really enjoyed Escape From Alcatraz, Dirty Harry, and Play Misty for Me.

"Noirvember". Good one...

Electra Glide in Blue (1973)

A story of a humane motorcycle patrolman who dreams of becoming a detective. Quite a pessimistic film that doesn't play out as you'd expect.
I love 70's movies like this. Rancho Deluxe, Freebie and the Bean, Mother, Jugs & Speed, Fuzz, The Super Cops, Mr. Majestyk, White Line Fever and Rolling Thunder. They're like comfort food.

12 Years a Slave. (2013)

A powerful, moving film with brilliant performances from an impressive cast that explores the complexity and inhumanity of the slave trade. An excellent and important work of cinema.

4.5/5 Stars.

Agreed. I really enjoyed Escape From Alcatraz, Dirty Harry, and Play Misty for Me.

"Noirvember". Good one...
Despite acting in it and being the intended director, Siegel only acted in PMFM. It was Eastwood's directorial debut (though his style is basically Siegel with a dash of Leone).

Love EFA and DH. They embody how strange and contradicting Siegel's political sensibilities could be, with the former (along with Riot in Cell Block 11) being a treatise for better treatment of convicts and DH essentially being an indictment of Miranda laws and rights for the accused. Both great films but almost diametrically opposed politically.

I wish I could take credit for coining "Noirvember." I started doing it of my own accord and was excited to share the concept when I saw the hashtag existed for at least a year prior on Twitter. Convergent thinking strikes again!