Art Appreciation

Tools    

I live in Britain so Florida is a bit of a trek, but you never know...
Being unable to travel abroad has really sucked this year. I miss my dose of art galleries.

Another David Hockney painting. This time of a famous British textile designer - Celia Birtwell. Considered to be very attractive when she was younger & nice how Hockney returns to their friendship to paint her in her seventies.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Some more of my favourite pieces:

Rubens, Raising of the Cross.

Titian, Assumption of the Virgin

Bernini, The ecstasy of St Teresa

Ghiberti, the Baptistry doors in Florence.
Dude. You're throwing me RIGHT Back to my Art History courses. Those lasted three terms starting with Mesopotamia going through contemporary art (probably ending around the late 80s, at the time). Speaking of....

I love me some Donald Judd sculptures. This guy became a major obsession and inspiration for me in college. I wish I had photos of some of the panels I did back then. 27 wooden panels that, when arranged, spanned 27 feet wide by 7 feet tall. Each was mathematically arranged to have a 3" gap between, sets of three, with repeating patterns betw.....ah. Never mind. Point is, this guy was great and I wanted to shake his hand.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Dude. You're throwing me RIGHT Back to my Art History courses. Those lasted three terms starting with Mesopotamia going through contemporary art (probably ending around the late 80s, at the time). Speaking of....

I love me some Donald Judd sculptures. This guy became a major obsession and inspiration for me in college. I wish I had photos of some of the panels I did back then. 27 wooden panels that, when arranged, spanned 27 feet wide by 7 feet tall. Each was mathematically arranged to have a 3" gap between, sets of three, with repeating patterns betw.....ah. Never mind. Point is, this guy was great and I wanted to shake his hand.

Unfortunately I am not a fan of modern art. In fact most pieces do not deserve to be called art at all. Take the piece above; that's just some grey blocks. Hell, I could do that. There's no craftsmanship, no beauty, nothing to inspire or provoke or amaze. Art should speak to the transcendent within us all, it should elevate mankind, be a monument to the human potential for greatness. Most modern "art" is just pretentious nonsense devoid of quality or significance.

Unfortunately I am not a fan of modern art. In fact most pieces do not deserve to be called art at all. Take the piece above; that's just some grey blocks. Hell, I could do that. There's no craftsmanship, no beauty, nothing to inspire or provoke or amaze. Art should speak to the transcendent within us all, it should elevate mankind, be a monument to the human potential for greatness. Most modern "art" is just pretentious nonsense devoid of quality or significance.
lol, not to split hairs but that statement in and of itself is arguable pretentious nonsense. The sculpture is quite inspiring, as noted in my earlier post. Craftsmanship is the precision of the structure, its shapes and suggestion of positive/negative shape, patterns, and evolution. I will concede that there is a gray space for all of us between what we individually allow when defining art and what we consider not art, and that line will be different for all of us. Hell, I find myself often scoffing at what I consider crap all over the twitter-verse art posts. Perhaps I'm too hard on them, doing what you have done with Judd's piece. That said, Donald Judd isn't 19 and spent a great deal of his life deconstructing the process of creating art, distilling it down to its most basic forms. 19 being the age of the last photographer posting over-saturated candid photography with obvious and overused burns on his twitter feed, I mean. I can't fault you for your preferences and though I recognize the hypocrisy of me faulting you for your judgments, I still stand by the pretentious nonsense statement above.

Lol fair enough, everyone has their own tastes. Apologies for the rant but there's just something about a lot of modern art that riles me up. When I see people in galleries solemnly contemplating a wooden pallet lent against a wall or a cardboard box in an empty room, I begin to lose faith in humanity. But hey, different strokes for different folks I guess...

Lol fair enough, everyone has their own tastes. Apologies for the rant but there's just something about a lot of modern art that riles me up. When I see people in galleries solemnly contemplating a wooden pallet lent against a wall or a cardboard box in an empty room, I begin to lose faith in humanity. But hey, different strokes for different folks I guess...

Totally get it. Even as a defender, I have to sometimes ask, "wtf?"

Dude. You're throwing me RIGHT Back to my Art History courses. Those lasted three terms starting with Mesopotamia going through contemporary art (probably ending around the late 80s, at the time).
Since when do Americans refer to “terms”?

Unfortunately I am not a fan of modern art.
I like modern art.

Since when do Americans refer to “terms?"

Well, I had gone through both quarters and semesters as we were transitioning over my stay. Figured easier to use the catchall "term" rather than go into all that.

And it sounded more sophisticated. >=P

You ready? You look ready.
Anyone who doesn't like modern art is just mad they didn't get the opportunity to pinch a loaf into a gold toilet.

https://www.guggenheim.org/exhibitio...ttelan-america
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

And it sounded more sophisticated.
You just wanted to sound British.

Anyone who doesn't like modern art is just mad they didn't get the opportunity to pinch a loaf into a gold toilet.

https://www.guggenheim.org/exhibitio...ttelan-america
It’s really something, to put it mildly.