Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

“I was cured, all right!”

★★★★★
Damn, this is a masterpiece! It's my new Criterion wish!
— As you guys know, I'm watching Scorsese filmography in release order. So I was watching this one just to follow The Color of Money, it happens that this film it's GREAT! What a lovely surprise.

★★★
The ending was great.

First Reformed 2017

Solid drama, with some very powerful scenes;
Reverend Ernst Toller: Courage is the solution to despair, reason provides no answers. I can't know what the future will bring, We have to choose despite uncertainty. Wisdom is holding two contradictory truths in our mind, simultaneously, Hope and despair. A life without despair is a life without hope. Holding these two ideas in our head is life itself.

'The Favourite' very much keeps in-line within Yorgos' unusual and cutthroat style, while also being totally distinct from his other films (likely because he didn't write it). The dialogue is less (intentionally) stilted than in his other movies, and as a result everything feels less alien. Also: talent all the way through. All the performances were incredible, and both Rachel Weisz and Emma Stone have amazing range (Stone's absolute best performance to date). But the best performance of the year, so far, from what I've seen: has to be Olivia Colman. She manages to weave between so many emotional states in the film, often in the same scene, and does it all without ever coming across as "I AM ACTING" - with also an extraordinary depth of character - completely submerging herself into the role, while holding nothing back in show of suffering.

I'm also happy it incorporated female power dynamics and lesbianism without once feeling preachy, on-the-nose, or otherwise influenced by lame identity politics. Not to mention the film is hardcore to the BONE. Very subtle too; it catches you like a vice. It sneaks up, messes with your head, and then floors you. I really didn't expect to be as thoroughly enthralled as I was (superb ending).

Fish-bowl shots galore.

(might switch either way on the pendulum based on a second viewing. I dunno.)
Vice President
358 Exchange Place New York, N.Y. 10099 FAX 212 555 6390 TELEX : () 4534

JOHN WICK: CHAPTER 2
(2017)

“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Glass -

(had to do it)
Since you've mentioned how your rating scale is different than others, would a
translate to a
or higher for others???

Suspect's Reviews

Leave No Trace 2018

Test your patience slow, but also had a kind of calming effect like a good nature documentary has because of the way it was shot.. slow but beautiful and moving.
Now...I want to see a film like this nominated at the Mofo Film Awards and really make it a different take from the Oscars. But alas, I do not see that happening.

Welcome to the human race...
Since you've mentioned how your rating scale is different than others, would a
translate to a
or higher for others???
Never given it much thought. Capping my scale at 4 It mainly means that I save 4.5s and 5s for films I find particularly exceptional rather than just really good. To this end, I still use 2.5 as the centre of the 5-point scale and mainly use it to denote films that are neither too bad or too good.

Besides, I did the maths and a 2.5 out of 4 would be a 3.125 out of 5 - a noticeable difference, but not exactly 3.5 or higher.

Never given it much thought. Capping my scale at 4 It mainly means that I save 4.5s and 5s for films I find particularly exceptional rather than just really good. To this end, I still use 2.5 as the centre of the 5-point scale and mainly use it to denote films that are neither too bad or too good.

Besides, I did the maths and a 2.5 out of 4 would be a 3.125 out of 5 - a noticeable difference, but not exactly 3.5 or higher.
Sooo...mixed-bag of the year nominee?