My Favorite Michael Douglas Performances

Tools    

It's been about 40 years since this second generation performer stepped out of his famous father's shadow and established himself as a major force in the industry, accomplishing some things his famous father never did, including winning two Oscars (One for acting, one for producing), an Emmy, and four Golden Globes. The son of the legendary Kirk Douglas has carved out his own niche in show business history. These are my favorite performances of the talented Michael Douglas:

Uncle Wayne, Ghosts of Girlfriends Past

Douglas was the best thing about this dreadful comic fantasy playing the dead uncle of a handsome player (Matthew McConaughey) who is being visited by ghosts of his sexual past.

Zach, A Chorus Line

Though initial instincts say that he was miscast, Michael Douglas is surprisingly effective in the film version of the Pulitzer Prize winning Broadway musical playing a director and choreographer whose latest auditions are disrupted by the appearance of a dancer and former lover (Allyson Reed) looking for a job.

Bill Gherson, Last Vegas

Douglas is a fun as a guy who is planning to celebrate his recent engagement to a much younger woman by reuniting with three childhood pals (Robert De Niro, Morgan Freeman, Kevin Kline) in Las Vegas.

Mr. Thompson, You, Me, and Dupree

One of Douglas' first forays into the field of character actor was in this comedy playing a hotshot business executive who loves to make life miserable for his son-in-law (Matt Dillon).

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

Zach, A Chorus Line

Though initial instincts say that he was miscast, Michael Douglas is surprisingly effective in the film version of the Pulitzer Prize winning Broadway musical playing a director and choreographer whose latest auditions are disrupted by the appearance of a dancer and former lover (Allyson Reed) looking for a job.

I think I'm one of the few people on the planet who liked the movie version of A Chorus Line, (maybe because I never saw the Broadway show version), and I think Michael Douglas was great in it.

Detective Gavin Hatch, Will& Grace

Douglas did a very funny guest appearance on the NBC sitcom playing a police detective who is in a therapy group with Jack (Sean Hayes) but falls hard for Will (Eric McCormack).

Ben Lewin, It's My Turn

Douglas plays a pro baseball player who attends his mother's wedding and falls in love with the groom's daughter (Jill Clayburgh).

Charlie, King of California

Douglas really appears to be enjoying himself in this edgy comedy playing a former mental patient who tries to convince his estranged daughter (Evan Rachel Wood) that there is buried treasure under a Costco superstore.

Robert Wakefield, Traffic

Douglas plays a judge who gets appointed by the President to be the new drug czar, a job that has blinded him to the fact that his own daughter (Erike Christensen) has become addicted to crack-cocaine. Douglas' wife, Catherine Zeta Jones, also appears in the film, though they share no scenes together.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Love Michael Douglas. This is far and away my favorite performance of his. I rewatch this movie every few weeks (a lot of it was filmed near me--and it was mostly filmed on the campus of my alma mater, Carnegie Mellon...plus he uses a SELECTRIC typewriter!)... WONDER BOYS.

Love Michael Douglas. This is far and away my favorite performance of his. I rewatch this movie every few weeks (a lot of it was filmed near me--and it was mostly filmed on the campus of my alma mater, Carnegie Mellon...plus he uses a SELECTRIC typewriter!)... WONDER BOYS.

Little too early on the list for Wonder Boys

Andrew Shepherd, The American President

Douglas plays the recently widowed POTUS who finds himself attracted to an attractive political strategist (Annette Bening).